Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

gabe1010

Arcane
Developer
from glassdoor:

Employee promotion is almost nonexistent. The leads and directors are entrenched, even with other employees who could do a better job. If it were a bigger company this wouldn't be that big of a deal. At its current size this stifles the studio's overall growth.All of this contributes to a feeling of, "don't rock the boat." When you're hired, you'll probably stay at the position for the rest of your time at Obsidian. Owners will dangle promotion promises for years until people either threaten to quit or just straight up leave. The company has lost A LOT of good employees this way.

Company has been around 15 years, run by people who've been around 10 more. You'd think they'd know how to run a business by now, but you'd be wrong. Leadership is completely entrenched in old ideas and micromanagement. Despite several close calls in the past, the company has not structured deals in a timely & effective manner to prevent massive layoffs. Any sense of "open" structure is an utter farce - leadership has no time for you on a personal level (despite the facade of an 'open-door policy) meanwhile getting involved on a microscopic level on projects and not allowing the talent they have to shine. Pay is below average, no bonuses. Zero career progression/promotions, spare in-the-trench or if you're a friend or family of an owner. Massive nepotism. HR is utterly incompetent. Owners have explicitly said they don't read reviews and decide raises based on their opinion of you. Due to micromanagement, leadership causes massive delays in projects due to midnight hour decisions or pivoting. Company strategy is to do the same thing for the next 5+ years with little innovation. Executive producer holds all the power.

Games tend to be way over scoped and under staffed leaving a lot of game to be cut back at the end of production.

The don't focus on anything other than story. The art department is kind of a joke and they don't focus on making a game great there. Instead the keep saying that story is everything and really everything should be important. I feel like they are so behind on tech, art and real game-play that they are doomed to fail. I couldn't stay there anymore. The art directors there, I feel, have given up on making great art or are are just extremely toxic.

Vastly overscoped projects. Gaslighting when backpedaling on overscoped requests. Embarrassingly limited understanding of what makes a "AAA" game. Almost nonexistent understanding of modern sustainable production. The review titled "subsistence-level game development" is sadly still true. Much of the practices stem from a game dev philosophy of 20+ years ago and many leads and directors cling to ideals from that era. Upper management reacts at a glacial pace to team pleas for help.

TLDR: they overscope, they don't promote or even recognize talented people, they suffer from nepotism, they don't keep up to date with advances in game design and tech, they focus on story to the detriment of everything else (which is a bigger deal for a 3D first person game than their old isometric stuff), and have very little experience with genuine AAA titles (basically 2D iso stuff and mediocre AA Unreal semi-open hub games).

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
You can only be an elf or a human.

There are no classes.

The art style looks like a mobile game with the post-processing of their shitty sci-fi Outer Worlds game.

The gameplay has stiff, janky, cheap looking animations, and the trailer refused to show more than 1 or 2 moves in a single shot, often even cutting those just before you can get a good look at the impact to hide how shit the combat is.
lmao

sosmoflux

Educated
They're going for the Underworld Ascendant audience :cool:

underworld-ascendant.jpg

Old Hans

Arcane
They're going for the Underworld Ascendant audience :cool:

underworld-ascendant.jpg
thanks for reminding me this hunk of shit game exists. That screenshot looks like a highschool kids mid 90s bryce 3d class project, and hes all "I cant wait till games look this good"

Takamori

Learned
After I saw the trailer and saw there will be no classes or fuck all, they are just shitting this project to recoup losses. Everything screamed souless or we don't want to dev this game but our retarded boss decided to tackle on it.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Oh, there was another PC Gamer article: https://www.pcgamer.com/avowed-open-world-skyrim-rpg-size/

Exclusive: Avowed started as Obsidian's Skyrim, but evolved to focus on depth over breadth, 'where Obsidian really shines'​

"We backed up and said again: What are we good at? What's our lane?"

When Avowed was first announced with a CGI trailer back in 2020, the headlines and discussions that it sparked all pointed to one specific game: Skyrim. Even though the teaser didn't give away much, the similarities were clear. First-person view; a sword in the right hand, a spell in the left. Surely this was Obsidian's take on an enormous Bethesda-style RPG?

And yes, it turns out that was the plan—at least at first. "Originally we were pitching, in essence, our Skyrim," confirms Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart in an exclusive interview with PC Gamer.

But that is not what Avowed, as it currently exists, is going to be. "I think over the course of time as we worked on it… Bethesda makes an awesome Skyrim. Mojang makes an awesome Minecraft, and Turn10 makes awesome racing games," says Urquhart, referencing a handful of Obsidian's sister studios at Microsoft. "What we do is we make our awesome RPGs, right?"

The feeling, then, was that Obsidian were better served not following Bethesda's example of a grand, open world, but instead staying true to what an Obsidian game should be. "That's when we backed up and said again: What are we good at? What's our lane?" That core, for Urquhart, is Obsidian's dedication to storytelling. "Outer Worlds is the greatest, latest example of that, and even Pillars. Pillars is less linear than Outer Worlds, but it's still a game that has you go through a story. And [Pillars of Eternity] 2 was even less linear, but still again you have this core story as you're going."

For Avowed, the focus is going to be specifically on your companions, and how their story relates to the driving narrative of the game. "We could go off and create an 8km x 8km open world and then deal with all the consequences of that—because that makes it a different style game. But we want to tell more confined stories that the player can experience with their companions, and then move from part of the world to part of the world. And, like I said, in the end, that's us."

"Every game development process for every title is this chain of ideation, iteration and polish," says Avowed director Carrie Patel, reflecting on how the scope of Avowed has changed over the years. "Sometimes you realize the way you're building, it is not quite living up to the experience you want to create. And so, in iteration and refinement, you say, 'Well, how do we create the experience that we want to deliver to players, and particularly as a studio? How do we deliver on what we're really good at specifically?'

"I think where Obsidian really shines as an RPG maker is with this really evocative nuanced world building, stories that are more focused on depth and breadth, and really thoughtful quest design that rewards experimentation and exploration from players—that gives them a sense of agency. And that gives them a meaningful set of options with how they interact with the world and characters."

The upshot, then, is that Avowed won't be as large, open and freeform as an Elder Scrolls game, but maybe that's for the best? Given the enduring popularity of the studio's RPGs over the years, staying true to that spirit feels like a sensible choice. "As we looked at the Avowed we're building, we wanted to make sure that we were really fulfilling those strengths and creating something that felt like a true Obsidian RPG," says Patel.
Reading between the lines here, it sounds like Feargus had his celebrity game ambitions like he always does, and Microsoft reined him in once they were in control.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Now I understand why Josh is so quick to let people know that he has nothing to do with this.
not like he would have made it better
I'm sure he would've, at least on a technical level, although that doesn't automatically translate into a more fun game. Checked the credits for Avowed and Carrie Patel is the director? Seems like a silent disaster in the making. There's barely any experience in game dev and what little she does is only in writing. She doesn't have the skillset to make her a good project manager and Obsidian has had so much brain drain that there aren't many others around to mentor her either.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I saw the trailer and it really got me thinking about what it is, that seems so off about a lot of modern fantasy games.
At first, one might think that it is the designs, but those are actually pretty alright (shape-wise). What's so strange and incoherent to me is the extensive use of neon coloring.
Go through that trailer again and count every shot with neon coloring. It's almost every single one of them and I am really not sure whether that is deliberate or the result of some aesthetic trend.
Compare this to a classic game trailer like the one of Lands of Lore 2:
Agreed, the neon stuff is just awful. Sharply contrasts with and doesn't fit in the rest of the environment, and just makes it look like a student project with asset store plants. The foliage is just awful.

Edit: I had to do an edit to include these quotes from another forum:

it's like Godfall & Immortals of Aveum had an illegitimate child in terms of visual palette...Way too garish.

The mushroom garden posted in the OP is straight kitsch in a way that would fit an aesthetic modelled after 1950s sci fi but not a quasi-historical fantasy setting
I could also do with less shining eye-candy and more atmosphere-seeping and I am very grateful RatTower's way of doing things.
But are you sure it's that bad here, guys? After all, Awoved's going to be the first person. Every light effect is going to be "closer" and thus more emphasized.
For all I know, spell effects and magical sources (e.g., a shining, heart-centered magic-infused mass, etc.) have been shining like crazy in many high-fantasy games.

(The third example is EE, but I've just checked in the OG; spells were pretty neon-like as well.):

https://youtu.be/er6cLCU-wY4?t=39
https://youtu.be/mhOfNQM2kfw?t=216
https://youtu.be/xcVuQSZA4Pw?t=11127

Last edited:

Goldschmidt

Learned
After watching the trailer, I felt completely apathetic towards this game, the same with Diablo 4 and Baldur's Gate 3.

A gameplay trailer with almost no gameplay (core of a game). zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Year 2023 is just huge flop.

I even reinstalled BG 2 and PST and couldn't get into it anymore. I'll focus on my collection of nude female model videos.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My impression from the two articles, which are certainly more informative than the trailer is, is that this is a Cyberpunk 2077 case. Eventually the line was drawn and management said "we are releasing whatever we've got, we can't spend any more money on it", resulting in less than half the original vision being forced out into the world. Expect corner-cutting at every level, from tech to art, to music, to narrative. Both PoE games carried the same scent, but with Avowed it's going to be so undercooked that even the Obsidian forums will go mental.

Last edited:

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I guess the logic is that you're an Aedyran, almost all of whom are humans and elves.

(Although of course almost all of the humans are white and I doubt they will limit that)
ah yes josh sawyer ruining people's fun so that his OG donut steel fantasy universe lore is abided by

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Obsidian were bad at managing their projects before Feargus found them their sugar daddy Balmer. It was clear that things would only get worse

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I was watching the showcase in Yong Yea channel. When Avowed appeared you could see his disappointment and how puzzled he was about the art. He continued to be shocked for about 10 minutes, trying to understand what he just saw.

https://www.youtube.com/live/2Faa-OGqIt0?feature=share&t=1191

This will be the general impression about this game. People WILL compare it to Skyrim and will say "WTF?!".
Yong Yea being able to show any sort of emotions. Lol. Good joke man.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just saw Avowed and wow, this game looks way shittier than I expected. It's like they couldn't decide if they want it to be cheery and cartoony or medievaly and skyrimy.

It's like my dog ate a bag of M&Ms and then barfed all over our hardwood floor.

Good news is the director is Obsidian's own stronk female character Carrie Patel so at least the game will get great reviews.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom