Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Fuck FNV, give me F1-F2 remasters on Deadfire engine with Boyarsky and Cain supervising.
You are trolling, right? Right???. jpg

Far as I see it, not a chance in a million years Obsidian can come up with FNV2 that doesn't suck donkey balls, but F1 remaster they could probably manage and already got technology for isometric game.

Come to think of it, it's really weird how Fallout is this huge franchise but it basically starts at 3.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Come to think of it, it's really weird how Fallout is this huge franchise but it basically starts at 3.

1. Take high quality nerd thing.
2. Slap on a new coat of paint.
3. Dumb down for normies.
4. Produce slop so slopslurpers can consume.

A tale as old as time. In the modern day we also have

5. People assume nerd identity by buying stupid useless merch.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Can games with themes that Fallout 1 & 2 have even be released in current year? I suspect any kind of remaster would need to go through a censorship filter, and might result in them being bastardized. I'm not sure that's worth it for some nicer graphics and effects.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I finally found someone praising Avowed:

This guy had accidentally shown why Avowed will fail, and Stellar Blade will most likely sell well. You see Stellar Blade is the "butt game". It's a game with K-POP star looking Asian game who jumps around and fights monsters, this is something people will remember months from now when the game comes out, they will look at it and say: "Oh, it's the butt game everyone is talking about, maybe I'll try it". Meanwhile despite wasting so much time Avowed has failed to show anything interesting, notable or intriguing about the game. It screams Generic Fantasy Action RPG #598.

Yahtzee talked about this when he explained why Prey II was such a miserable failure:

I doubt that Stellar Blade will have anything more than the kpop butt, but the same happened to Nier Automata, and at the end of the day the butt was a bait to drive you into existencial crisis. Obsidian games have very brainy narratives but they don't have an ounce of heart. Fitting for someone in the spectrum like Jsawyer.

I mean the melee combat is just so bad. Age of Chivalry mod from 2007 have a much more engaging system. Seeing these trailers just make me want to start up Chivalry 2.

Moink

Cipher
BG1/2 have Nintendo Switch ports that are just 1:1 of the original games (well, it's the Beamdog version) and work pretty well from what I've heard.

ChildInTime

Learned
I doubt that Stellar Blade will have anything more than the kpop butt, but the same happened to Nier Automata, and at the end of the day the butt was a bait to drive you into existencial crisis. Obsidian games have very brainy narratives but they don't have an ounce of heart. Fitting for someone in the spectrum like Jsawyer.
Eh, Stellar Blade has a sexy girl protagonist that you can dress up in slutty clothes, it's third person, action looks great and there's even some sort of quest system and c&c, it will do fine. Avowed has... dual wielding and trannie elves or something?

kEBUqoB.jpeg

Lhynn

Arcane
They have what retarded cretins think is "cerebral". In actuality its just poorly executed dumb bullshit.

Its a fucking plague, poe players, pentiment players and now avowed players, all mediocre games that only cretins and halfwits could ever praise.

ZoddGuts

Augur
Eh, Stellar Blade has a sexy girl protagonist that you can dress up in slutty clothes, it's third person, action looks great and there's even some sort of quest system and c&c, it will do fine. Avowed has... dual wielding and trannie elves or something?
Avowed may not have a sexy MC or pretty looking NPC's but it will have great diversity writing for this game thanks due to Sweet Baby Inc. Made of ex-Ubisoft writers who focuses on pushing diversity in games and making sure there's no problematic handling of female and nonwhite characters.
Sweet

https://sweetbabyinc.com/projects/

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Avowed may not have a sexy MC or pretty looking NPC's but it will have great diversity writing for this game thanks due to Sweet Baby Inc. Made of ex-Ubisoft writers who focuses on pushing diversity in games and making sure there's no problematic handling of female and nonwhite characters.
Avowed is not listed among their projects, you seem to be ranting for no reason?

Efe

Erudite
Xbox game studios (which obdsidian is a part of) is there but I agree with you

Obsidian at Microsoft is gonna be more like Bioware at EA I think. A brand that has some perceived value, and that will be allowed to do things a certain way because of it. inxile is probably fucked though.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Obsidian at Microsoft is gonna be more like Bioware at EA I think. A brand that has some perceived value, and that will be allowed to do things a certain way because of it. inxile is probably fucked though.

Inxile seems to have more positive community perception about their next project than Obsidian.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Inxile seems to have more positive community perception about their next project than Obsidian.
Have we seen any real gameplay from Inxile next project?

That's only because they've been wise enough to lay low after the Numenera debacle I think.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't think they need Sweet Baby...
Yeah, this company is a convenient scapegoat, but the majority of writers/narrative designers pretty much agree with their views anyway. It's just a Danegeld for those who aren't confident in their own ability to keep up with what's en vogue among elites.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Grounded and Penistent were both succesful and noticeably both were made without old guard involvement.
Those games were led by Sawyer and Brennecke, the director/lead designer and the lead programmer of Pillars of Eternity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom