Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming February 18th

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
There is basically no hype for this game, not even reddit cares. Getting huge VtMB2 vibes from the project,...

This is the new norm - companies declined so much they are unable to please even 50% of normies.

Don't want to jinx it, but some things in gaming could be about to change.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm not sure if this has been posted or not, but a longer combat slice so you can see the quality of these animations:

lol, weak hit reactions and piss poor connection feel

why do an interview touting the meaty, kinesthetic feel of your combat when that is seemingly the thing it is singularly worst at

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
There is basically no hype for this game, not even reddit cares. Getting huge VtMB2 vibes from the project,...

This is the new norm - companies declined so much they are unable to please even 50% of normies.

I see almost nothing in gamdev circles that would indicate positive changes in the industry.

Unless you're talking about AI putting 50% of the industry out of a job in the near future. :smug:

Latelistener

Arcane
Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I would agree, a lot of polish is left in the final stretch of development. But, generally smart devs have a small range of polished assets ready for promotional use.

Everything seems very rushed and haphazard with what we've seen so far. If they are seriously planning on releasing this fall, we should have full gameplay trailers and actual deep dives (instead of just wacking the same kobolds over and over).
Really looking forward to the Bloodlines 2 (also scheduled for this fall) "deep dive" next week. :)

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

I see almost nothing in gamdev circles that would indicate positive changes in the industry.

I know. But we are about to hit rock bottom, it is obvious. Which is good news honestly. Perhaps AAA will die or reduce in size.

Ivan

Arcane
https://www.pcgamer.com/obsidians-n...its-first-person-sword-swinging-feel-weighty/

Obsidian's next big RPG Avowed is looking to Vermintide's 'masterclass in having a sense of hitting and impact' to make its first-person sword-swinging feel weighty​

Looks like we'll a lot of laughs from this one. Did they even see how the combat looks like? Just mentioning it in this context is an insult to Vermintide.

this insta gib melee combat just reminds me of pew pewing hordes in L4D...not very exciting. I don't think I've played a fps where the melee combat felt good. Condemned comes to mind as one of the most positive experiences. I think I would need a stamina mechanic to make it feel good. Not just this anime pew pew pew pew, furious fisting shit.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
>All the NPCs are ugly as shit
Archaelund: hold my beer
Solasta:

ymKTEqM.png

KeAShizuku

Educated
As a storyfag and fan of isometrics I actually liked PoE2 and Tyranny. This mainstream shit looks exactly what Microsoft bought Obsidian and inXile for.

https://www.pcgamer.com/obsidians-n...its-first-person-sword-swinging-feel-weighty/

Obsidian's next big RPG Avowed is looking to Vermintide's 'masterclass in having a sense of hitting and impact' to make its first-person sword-swinging feel weighty​

Looks like we'll a lot of laughs from this one. Did they even see how the combat looks like? Just mentioning it in this context is an insult to Vermintide.

this insta gib melee combat just reminds me of pew pewing hordes in L4D...not very exciting. I don't think I've played a fps where the melee combat felt good. Condemned comes to mind as one of the most positive experiences. I think I would need a stamina mechanic to make it feel good. Not just this anime pew pew pew pew, furious fisting shit.

It feel good, or is atleast fun in Chivalry 1 & 2.

scytheavatar

Scholar
As a storyfag and fan of isometrics I actually liked PoE2 and Tyranny. This mainstream shit looks exactly what Microsoft bought Obsidian and inXile for.

I can't help but come to the realization that if Larian was publishing this game, Swen would be axed Avowed years ago. He would have seen the game for what is it, bad idea from day 1. Not only because it's unoriginal and there's no reason to believe Obsidian can deliver high enough quality enough without expanding their staff, but also because it's hard to actually find a selling point in the game. "Set in the world of POE" is the opposite of a good selling point when Deadfire was a flop.

Quillon

Arcane

wtf the character is slashing the thin air and hitting creatures 2 meters away

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I went to yt and watched the first video, commenting on the trailer. I can't help myself but feel that exactly the same trailer looks and feels better in that particular video. Perhaps it's because it's overall darker, but I also detected some of that kinesthesis now for change. Killing the Xaurips still seemed somewhat clunky and the out-of place blood squirts are still thare, but... well... look for yourselves. This is really strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsYiyZ84k9Q

ferratilis

Magister
There's on thing puzzling me. Microsoft clearly hasn't given up on PC games. That Ara game is a PC centric title, through and through. MS Flight Simulator as well, Age of Empires is alive and well. When they acquired Obsidian and inXile, I thought they wanted to have studios that would continue their legacy of strong, PC-centric releases. So then, why the fuck are they working on these shitty, console, diet "RPGs" instead of full-fledged, isometric cRPGs?!

You have teams that spent a decade working and perfecting their skills in one type of game, each release was better than the last in technical terms, and then they do a 180 and switch to a completely different style of game, which is evident from the quality of footage in those trailers. It's stupid, both from a business and creative perspective.

REhorror

Educated
There's on thing puzzling me. Microsoft clearly hasn't given up on PC games. That Ara game is a PC centric title, through and through. MS Flight Simulator as well, Age of Empires is alive and well. When they acquired Obsidian and inXile, I thought they wanted to have studios that would continue their legacy of strong, PC-centric releases. So then, why the fuck are they working on these shitty, console, diet "RPGs" instead of full-fledged, isometric cRPGs?!

You have teams that spent a decade working and perfecting their skills in one type of game, each release was better than the last in technical terms, and then they do a 180 and switch to a completely different style of game, which is evident from the quality of footage in those trailers. It's stupid, both from a business and creative perspective.
Microsoft's market research is actually simpler than you think.
They search for the most popular games, and all they see is 1st person RPG (Skyrim, Cyberpunk 2077) or 3rd person ones (Souls games).

They want the 20 million sales, just simple 3-5 million sales ain't worth it anymore.

ferratilis

Magister
Avowed won't reach 3 million sales, let alone 20. Their market research might be good, but people in charge of creative side of things are clearly idiots. Everywhere you look on the internet, no one is optimistic about Avowed, except for die-hard Xbox fanboys and deluded Obsidian fanboys. Even those guys at Digital Foundry, who always say positive things about everything aren't that interested in it. It's simply not captivating, which is a direct consequence of what I mentioned before: forcing people who got really good at doing one thing to change direction, 180 degrees.

just

Liturgist
all you doomposters and haters not knowing day 1 patch will fix everything

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom