Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming February 18th

Lhynn

Arcane
Who the fuck remembers greedfall for instance?
I'm just so glad I dropped this during the tutorial. I could see where it was all going. I wouldn't have installed it at all if it wasn't for the colonial fantasy setting.
I lasted a couple hours before I saw it was insanely dull, but then again, im not the brightest guy.
Just complete shit and one of the worst titles that developer has produced.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
ty3STUrP4ieukAye4HmgxB-970-80.jpg.webp

Why is Karl Marx in the game?

2aa4e365c8e3090e84d2c00064ccd423.jpg

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You are a bloody idiot mate. If Avowed is an RPG then Diablo is too.
Diablo is a clicker, Avowed is an actual game. Might not be a good one, but a game nevertheless.
Wisely not committing to calling Avowed an RPG.

I feel like you've been playing low-effort games for so long that you've forgotten what a good RPG is like.

user

Savant
Why is there even a debate about this, it's not like it enriches the game or something.
It's a different playstyle. Certainly seems like a go-to to shatter as many creatures as you can instead of whittling down their health every time.

Betting that it's only going to work on 1-2 hit enemies and be mostly aesthetic - or have a % threshold.
Bet with me cowards. We should have a betting system in this forum with rewards and penalties. What kind of rpg forum is this, linear post progression and paywalls - not to mention achievements available even to the lowest common denominator.:decline:

Last edited:

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe it was actually good that they laid such a strong foundation with the first game so that Nu-Obsidian can't fuck it up. People have said that it was annoying with all those info dumps about lore but the upside to that is that most of the lore is already established. Or will they do a Bethesda and just disregard lore established in previous entries?

e:
I mean all this is already known about the Living Lands prior to the release of Avowed.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Name me one RPG that allows you to CC and then nuke your opponent! Can't, huh? Thought so!"

This is different from a mechanic that allows you to bypass HP mechanics.

Why are you guys even debating this?

but Fallout 4 has it: the locked weapon in the first vault is "cryolator". Pretty sure andromeda has it too via cryo ammo, ME3 certainly had it.

Games where you can freeze opponents are not the same thing as games that allow you to freeze and shatter them.

Also DA:O

That's from 2009 and not an action rpg.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And you know that the Avowid example allows you to bypass HP mechanics, how?

Also, yes, in its effect it's the same.
Optimistic assumption. If it's a cosmetic effect that happens when you bring its hp down to 0 then who cares.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Maybe it was actually good that they laid such a strong foundation with the first game so that Nu-Obsidian can't fuck it up. People have said that it was annoying with all those info dumps about lore but the upside to that is that most of the lore is already established. Or will they do a Bethesda and just disregard lore established in previous entries?

e:
I mean all this is already known about the Living Lands prior to the release of Avowed.

Infodump is a problem in POE, but you are deluding yourself if you think it is the only or even the biggest problem of POE.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Optimistic assumption. If it's a cosmetic effect that happens when you bring its hp down to 0 then who cares.
Exactly, who cares? This effect means absolutely nothing taken out of the context of the combat system. And we have every reason to expect that system to be a dogpile.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Exactly, who cares? This effect means absolutely nothing taken out of the context of the combat system. And we have every reason to expect that system to be a dogpile.
You're getting annoyed over a pessimistic assumption. :M

If Sawyer were involved, there would be Balance, but he's not here.

Cross

Arcane
You are a bloody idiot mate. If Avowed is an RPG then Diablo is too.
Diablo is a clicker, Avowed is an actual game. Might not be a good one, but a game nevertheless.
Avowed is following in Skyrim's footsteps by removing attributes, which makes it less of an RPG than Diablo.

If Sawyer were involved, there would be Balance, but he's not here.
Sawyer would have never even allowed you to shatter a frozen enemy. He essentially removed that effect from Pillars, where being petrified just functions like a generic stun effect, whereas in D&D being petrified and attacked shatters a character, making resurrection impossible.

As banal as Avowed looks, it might have been even worse with Sawyer at the helm.

:whatisfun:

Gargaune

Arcane
And you know that the Avowid example allows you to bypass HP mechanics, how?

Also, yes, in its effect it's the same.
That's kinda what we're saying here, man. We're not exceptionally optimistic about this, don't see any reason to be, so we don't care about what is very likely to be nothing more than a cosmetic finisher move. Expecting run-of-the-mill mechanics doesn't amount to undue pessimism.

Also, when you break it down, it's just mixing various common Action-RPG effects. For example, Skyrim has a spell that deals cold damage and stuns:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Frostbite said:
Frostbite is a novice level Destruction spell that deals frost damage to Health and Stamina, and slows targets for 1 second.

Effects
Frostbite, 8 pts for 1 sec
Slow, 50 pts for 4 secs
Deep Freeze Paralyze, for 3 secs; if the Deep Freeze perk has been unlocked

And Cyberpunk has a spell that stuns entangles and exposes victims to higher melee threat:

https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Cyberpunk_2077_Quickhacks?so=search#Control said:
Cripple Movement

Disables enemy movement and cyberware that supports movement and dodging.
+15% melee damage against affected enemies.
Tier 4: Affected enemies are more susceptible to melee Finishers.
Tier 5: +5% Health and +2 RAM after performing Finishers on affected enemies.
Iconic: Doubles the effects of the Tier 5 bonus.

So I'm not sure what you find so exciting about this one feature, even if your optimism pans out, it's nothing all that special.

sosmoflux

Educated
He merely said that freezing and shattering an enemy in a game like this is worth marketing because it's surprisingly not done than often. And he's right. Quit sperging out about it holy moly.

Will shattering enemies be better or even on par with Dark Messiah made 20 years ago? Of course not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom