Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming February 18th

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Soyer believed that that will sell the game and was coquetting like a prostitute on twitter. Oh look guys, we have exploding barrels and talking parrots.
Second look at Pillars of Eternity 2? :M

Rhobar121

Scholar
DoS2 had talking squirrels and barrels, so it follows that squirrel > parrot.
This means that if the game is to be successful, it must have at least one talking squirrel.
I think this is the kind of lesson Obsidian learned from the Larian games. Of course, it does not matter whether the game gives you a lot of freedom in choosing the gameplay or the overall fun.
What's important is the fucking squirrel.

Replace the squirrel with any other element that does not have the slightest importance and you will have the course of decisions made by the management of Obisidian/Bioware/PB.

What they definitely haven't learned is how to advertise their game. If this is really the best they had to show, they are going to fail.
I would say that it will be a failure on the scale of Starfield, but at least someone cared about that game before its premiere.

PB is already dead, Bioware is dying, now we are waiting for Obsidian.
I don't believe they will draw any conclusions before M$ ends their miserable existence or ends up as producers of shitty A or at most AA games to fill gamepass.

Lhynn

Arcane
Jesus christ, it looks so bad I cant even come up with anything to say to do it justice.

Roguey asking which action rpg in the past 10 years lets you freeze people :lol:
Was that you trying to defend this?

Tenebris

Scholar
Is Obsidian cursed to only make decent games when they're on the verge of bankruptcy or something? Everything I hear about this game has been nothing but garbage.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Jesus christ, it looks so bad I cant even come up with anything to say to do it justice.

Roguey asking which action rpg in the past 10 years lets you freeze people :lol:
No one could name a large number of titles that allowed freezing and shattering.

Lhynn

Arcane

No one could name a large number of titles that allowed freezing and shattering.
Pretty sure every ARPG in the past 10 years allows you to do it.
Youd have to struggle to find one that didnt, maybe one that didnt feature Ice magic.

Its absurd that you think this is not the case.

user

Savant
It's extremely hard to argue that Obsidian is a master of the isometric genre on the level of Larian or Owlcat.

They all have their problems, but I will agree that Obsidian is the worst and most talentless.

Owlcat thinks that bloating the game systems is innovation.
Larian makes games which are mechanically sound, but they wear a teletubby suit.
Obsidian cannot design even remotely fun systems or write a compelling world/story.

Sure, none is perfect, but I for one prefer that bloat over streamlining them to oblivion.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Youd have to struggle to find one that didnt, maybe one that didnt feature Ice magic.

The Witcher 3 did not (until a DLC put in a mutation that kinda/sorta does it), Fallout 4 did not, Mankind Divided did not, Andromeda did not, ELEX did not, Kingdom Come did not, Greedfall did not, The Outer Worlds did not, Cyberpunk did not, ELEX 2 did not, Weird West did not, Starfield did not.

Shattering frozen enemies isn't a new feature, but it's not a common one either.

user

Savant

The Witcher 3 did not (until a DLC put in a mutation that kinda/sorta does it), Fallout 4 did not, Mankind Divided did not, Andromeda did not, ELEX did not, Kingdom Come did not, Greedfall did not, The Outer Worlds did not, Cyberpunk did not, ELEX 2 did not, Weird West did not, Starfield did not.

Shattering frozen enemies isn't a new feature, but it's not a common one either.

Why is there even a debate about this, it's not like it enriches the game or something.
Also, in Path of Exile's earlier patches for example, it used to be meaningful, and you could get one more playstyle out of it. Here I bet it is going to be purely fluff, like in most of those other games it is implemented.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why is there even a debate about this, it's not like it enriches the game or something.
It's a different playstyle. Certainly seems like a go-to to shatter as many creatures as you can instead of whittling down their health every time.

user

Savant
It's a different playstyle. Certainly seems like a go-to to shatter as many creatures as you can instead of whittling down their health every time.

Betting that it's only going to work on 1-2 hit enemies and be mostly aesthetic - or have a % threshold.

Lhynn

Arcane

Most of those are futuristic games with call of dooty weapons, or, in the case of kingdom come, a game where theres no magic being flung around. You intellectually dishonest little not-a-jew.
Diablo 3 and 4, grimdawn and a myriad other ARPGS have done it, its a staple of fantasy games, its fucking retarded to even imply its original or that theres some merit because it exists.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Most of those are futuristic games with call of dooty weapons,
Freeze guns could exist.

Diablo 3 and 4, grimdawn and a myriad other ARPGS have done it, its a staple of fantasy games, its fucking retarded to even imply its original or that theres some merit because it exists.
I don't care about Diablo-likes at all, I'm talking about real games.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

oKEDCDu.png
Shameless Shill x 1

Rhobar121

Scholar
I have a question, how much do you get paid for defending Obsidian's shit?
It's hard for me to believe that someone does this for free.
Alternatively, it must be extremely shitty taste.

Gargaune

Arcane
You are a bloody idiot mate. If Avowed is an RPG then Diablo is too.
Diablo is a clicker, Avowed is an actual game. Might not be a good one, but a game nevertheless.
Gentlemen, let's compromise, they're both RPGs. "RPG" is a very broad genre descriptor, it's not a stamp of quality and you're allowed to like RPGs in general while hating certain titles or subtypes over their individual (de)merits. So come now, compromising is the perfect way to ensure everyone's unhappy.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

"Name me one RPG that allows you to CC and then nuke your opponent! Can't, huh? Thought so!"

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane

Why are you guys even debating this?

but Fallout 4 has it: the locked weapon in the first vault is "cryolator". Pretty sure andromeda has it too via cryo ammo, ME3 certainly had it.

Rhobar121

Scholar

Why are you guys even debating this?

but Fallout 4 has it: the locked weapon in the first vault is "cryolator". Pretty sure andromeda has it too via cryo ammo, ME3 certainly had it.
Also DA:O

Lhynn

Arcane
Its just Roguey lowkey white knighting obsidian, as always. Fucking dude, the more he says he changes, the more he stays the same, much like Infinitron, you cant trust any opinion of his, especially about obsidian trashfires.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom