Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming February 18th

damager

Arbiter
I rather ask myself why these idiots not just one time make their audience happy and just make a fucking open world game

It’s like they have a humiliation fetish or something

They promise a BG clone and when people get hyped they do some other shit. Than they hype people up with Skyrim and do their own shit again nobody wants. Guess what you fuckers you are not some grand artists. Just make games people want to play

damager

Arbiter
They are like some edgy teenager that wants to be different for the sake of it and comes home with some fake piercing just to shock their parents.

Last edited:

scytheavatar

Scholar
I rather ask myself why these idiots not just one time make their audience happy and just make a fucking open world game

They promise a BG clone and when people get hyped they do some other shit. Than they hype people up with Skyrim and do their own shit again nobody wants. Guess what you fuckers you are not some grand artists. Just make games people want to play

The idea that modern Obsidian can possibly make a Skyrim clone is nothing short of laughable, after how The Outer Worlds turned out. It is not Obsidian's fault that you want them to make something they never had the intention or ability to make from day one. This is why I laugh at the fools who want to see Obsidian make a Fallout game, as if they want to see a post apocalypse version of Avowed.

damager

Arbiter

The idea that modern Obsidian can possibly make a Skyrim clone is nothing short of laughable, after how The Outer Worlds turned out. It is not Obsidian's fault that you want them to make something they never had the intention or ability to make from day one. This is why I laugh at the fools who want to see Obsidian make a Fallout game, as if they want to see a post apocalypse version of Avowed.
If Obsidian does not have the ability to make a clone of a game that was already subpar 15 years ago, brother I don't know if they should continue making games at all :hahano:

Maybe they could ask Microsoft if they can update the calculator app for windows 12 or something like that.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I thought they planned to make a Skyrim 2.0 and but realized mid-production these are too big shoes to fill and changed direction into fantasy TOW.

No idea why they couldn't use Creation Engine anyway now that Bethesda and Obsidian have the same daddy Bill G. But instead they went with UE5 which in typical UE fashion doesn't bode well with open-world games.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought they planned to make a Skyrim 2.0 and but realized mid-production these are too big shoes to fill and changed direction into fantasy TOW.

No idea why they couldn't use Creation Engine anyway now that Bethesda and Obsidian have the same daddy Bill G. But instead they went with UE5 which in typical UE fashion doesn't bode well with open-world games.

Avowed development began before Bethesda was acquired by Microsoft. Should they have just restarted from scratch with the Creation Engine? Maybe.

But it's not clear what the "rules" are for sharing IP and tech between different Xbox studios anyway. Considering how easy it is to create games with Bethesda's engine, you'd think some Xbox title using it would have been announced by now, but there's been nothing. Everybody's continuing to behave as if they're independent studios.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
They definitely should've restarted, Bethesda acquisition and Avowed announcement both happened in summer 2020 so they couldn't been that far along. It's not like it would step on Starfield'stoes since that's an entirely diferent genre.

Wesp5

Arcane
What sense would it have made to get an Elder Scrolls clone from Obsidian when Bethesda will be working on a new Elder Scrolls themselves soon? Give Starfield competition? Also there are people like myself that prefer smaller hub based games over large open world games!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They definitely should've restarted, Bethesda acquisition and Avowed announcement both happened in summer 2020 so they couldn't been that far along. It's not like it would step on Starfield'stoes since that's an entirely diferent genre.
They put a lot of work into UE, starting over with a new engine would have been pretty miserable.

Additionally the deal with Bethesda wasn't finalized until early 2021, much too late.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
2021 to 25 is still plenty of time, and they were starting over with the project anyway when they changed direction.

Although like Infi says, we don't know the internal politics of it. But it would've avoided the situation where devs on a media tour instead of hyping the game have to focus on walking back expectations. Their marketing consists of "srsly game ain't that good but pls buy anyway", it's truly a clusterfuck.

Artyoan

Prophet
If the game has okay-ish reviews I'll still try it on a sale. But the marketing as it stands is: This is Skyrim combat (which sucks) and no strength of the Elder Scrolls series is present here. Enjoy.

S.torch

Liturgist
Because they can't. Competence crisis is real. Look at Bethesda for example, Starfield is way below the quality of their previous games.

Harthwain

Magister

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom