Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming February 18th

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They need to not be complete pussies and make it so reloading firearms takes a long time.
If you make a first person game with muskets and the reload animation is any less complex than this, you have failed.

EDIT:
for a little faster pace, this is fine too

damager

Arbiter
Dualwielding 3 pairs of handguns and unloading them all on the enemy before reloading was actually a really cool class fantasy you could fullfil in DF I give them that ;)

Last edited:

Just Locus

Educated
They think the Obsidian name protects them from how shit they are.
They're used to having half of their awful design decisions be excused with "They had a really short development time!" or"They were bogged down by the publisher!"

There's always some deciding factor outside of Obsidian's control that made them unable to deliver a good game.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah, say what you will about TOW but Cainarsky's at least delivered it on time and bug free on launch.

Avowed was delayed multiple times, another delay to February indicates it's gonna be broken as fuck, and probably play like TOW with swords.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
2021 to 25 is still plenty of time, and they were starting over with the project anyway when they changed direction.

Although like Infi says, we don't know the internal politics of it. But it would've avoided the situation where devs on a media tour instead of hyping the game have to focus on walking back expectations. Their marketing consists of "srsly game ain't that good but pls buy anyway", it's truly a clusterfuck.
I get the impression they weren't expecting it would take this long.

Even with starting over design-wise, there were still elements they were inheriting with the work already done, plus their continued familiarity with the engine. Another engine would be a true start from 0 except for the art.

Zlaja

Arcane
Watching the gameplay demo of this reminded me yet again of just how important it is to have a UI that's at least decent to be able to properly immerse yourself into the experience.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dualwielding 3 pairs of handguns and unloading them all on the enemy before reloading was actually a really cool build fantasy you could fullfil in DF I give them that ;)

We need more weapons like :

V2eGgUw.png

cUguzUP.png

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Watching the gameplay demo of this reminded me yet again of just how important it is to have a UI that's at least decent to be able to properly immerse yourself into the experience.

They keep making UI that looks like some sort of mobile app for exercise or something. There is a decline of this even from PoE1 to PoE2 where PoE1 has more wood and paper feel to its UI and textbox, while PoE2 is a floating minimalistic window.

Minimalism is actually the opposite of what one should aim in UI design, UI is part of the aesthetic in a game not just a meta-element that is disconnected from it. Unless of course minimalistic UI makes thematic sense (Like modern day or slick sci-fi designs).

Gahbreeil

Learned
I have received a large amount of negative feedback for my opinion that Avowed is going to be great game! This is strange and surprising to me, I would say that I am a tad confused as well.

Avowed's combat looks genuinely interesting and fun, well paced just like the Outer Worlds. Where did this negative feedback originate?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

They keep making UI that looks like some sort of mobile app for exercise or something. There is a decline of this even from PoE1 to PoE2 where PoE1 has more wood and paper feel to its UI and textbox, while PoE2 is a floating minimalistic window.

Minimalism is actually the opposite of what one should aim in UI design, UI is part of the aesthetic in a game not just a meta-element that is disconnected from it. Unless of course minimalistic UI makes thematic sense (Like modern day or slick sci-fi designs).
iwd2.png

:negative:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I would have big respect for a developer making a sci-fi game and saying "Our future is so advanced that people have reintroduced comfort and aesthetics. Wood paneling made a comeback and so we're going to play with that as part of our UI."

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would have big respect for a developer making a sci-fi game and saying "Our future is so advanced that people have reintroduced comfort and aesthetics. Wood paneling made a comeback and so we're going to play with that as part of our UI."
For a maximalist sci-fi look, just pick any popular graphic design scheme of the 00s. Windows XP, Winamp skins, etc. That shit looked slick and futuristic, no minimalist bullshit like today.

making-a-new-winamp-modern-skin-for-modern-resolutions-any-v0-i9olqr0wy3qa1.png

Just Locus

Educated
I remember the first UI that really induced vomit in me was Skyrim. Not only was it horrible to navigate, it also felt like the Menu of some Bluerayplayer or something.
Oblivion was way worse;
  • Only 6 items are visible before you need to scroll down due to the 36 font size
  • Rife with sub-menus
  • No Tooltips that provide the player with helpful or useful information
  • You drop items from your inventory by holding Shift + LMB, when "Shift" in the PC interface is typically used for selecting multiple things at once
  • The player character taking up screen real-estate when it's space that could've been used to provide the player with more useful information.
  • 8 hotkeys only compared to Morrowind's 10. Further compounded by the fact that accessing spells in Oblivion takes way longer.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Other things that I don't like in this game. The lack of conjuration. No, not only summoned creatures. I liked using conjured weapons on Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. In my last morrowind run (with hardcore mod, magicka regen mod, and vampire embrace), I played with a conjured spear against any non trivial enemy till I got the Hircine spear.

BTW, not only the UI is ugly, but I also found the graphics of this game worse than Skyrim, modded Morrowind, ESO, and Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon. But the requirements would probably be much higher. Because M$ and its studios are now full DIE diversity hire infected.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom