Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming February 18th

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I've watched the GamesCon demo and it looks brilliant. I really liked the Outer Worlds and this game really builds upon me enjoying the aforementioned. While the PoE and Deadfire were not really my cup of tea, Avowed looks awesome!
6eb18d6ec25fc28802331d9a93d75974.png

Artyoan

Prophet
Being compared to Skyrim isn't going to do them any favors in initial impressions. I haven't kept up with the latest information but last time I checked in on Avowed they were intentionally lowering the hype so people wouldn't think they were getting an open world Elder Scrolls competitor.

Everything about this game screams 'wait for deep sale' to me.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Being compared to Skyrim isn't going to do them any favors in initial impressions. I haven't kept up with the latest information but last time I checked in on Avowed they were intentionally lowering the hype so people wouldn't think they were getting an open world Elder Scrolls competitor.

Everything about this game screams 'wait for deep sale' to me.
Outer Worlds got compared a lot to New Vegas despite that comparison having same issues as comparing this with Skyrim.

They do it to create hype and make people who only read headlines buy the game.

This lowering of expectations in interviews is done to having a excuse post launch, "You thought it's like Skyrim, but we clearly said in this one interview it's not like that, not our fault you got fooled by dozens of previews.".

Baron Tahn

Scholar
I dunno. Ill play it if its a polished, focused, shorter game with a lot of dungeon crawling like an Arx or a UU, but everyone would compare it to Skyrim as thats all they remember- I wasnt really a fan of Skyrim anyway. I dont think its likely to be any good, but if they do that and I can go solo without their unavoidably shit companion writing for the whole game then Ill probably play it.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
not our fault
I mean, it is. It's not their fault you're gullible. They've been saying it's not Skyrim for multiple times and only say that they're trying to make Skyrim-like once.

Dinosaurs used to be perceived to have lizard like skin based on the fact available at the time, but now we know they have feathers.
When I go and open news on my mobile I get recommended news mostly about games. And every once in a while I get news with a headline that reads something like"New footage from Obsidians Skyrim competitor."

Most people not only don't read/watch interviews, they don't even read past headlines. Is it their fault they got cheated, yes it is, but it doesn't change that companies intentionally exploit such people.

Most people not only don't read/watch interviews
I agree.

companies intentionally exploit such people
I agree. That's the nature of the economic system we're in right now, but that beside the point.

The point is, companies, especially those whom existence depends on clicks, will always try to exploit people for clicks. The best we can do is not to be "most people".

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
I agree.

I agree. That's the nature of the economic system we're in right now, but that beside the point.

The point is, companies, especially those whom existence depends on clicks, will always try to exploit people for clicks. The best we can do is not to be "most people".
When you provide journalists with review copies, invite them for screening or interview or just send them some goodies as a gift, you also provide them some "advice" on what they should and should not write. Likes of Microsoft can easily tell journalists to stop comparing the game to Skyrim but they wont because they and journalists both know what they are doing.

Orange Clock

Novice
[/QUOTE]
I mean, it is. It's not their fault you're gullible. They've been saying it's not Skyrim for multiple times and only say that they're trying to make Skyrim-like once.

Dinosaurs used to be perceived to have lizard like skin based on the fact available at the time, but now we know they have feathers.
[/QUOTE]

True. Except that dinosaurs didn’t exist at all, they were just giant chickens.

I agree.

Holy shit - I mostly agree with what you said here, which fills me with shame.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Being compared to Skyrim isn't going to do them any favors in initial impressions.
It's their fault for teasing a first-person RPG to begin with. They should have gone with a third-person action RPG like Dragon Age. Nobody wants to play a small scale Skyrim without mods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom