Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming February 18th

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
this is going to be an ImSim until proven otherwise.

get hyped!
Not the Obsidian style, they don't do Origin/Looking Glass-derived design.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I know I barely show interest in Obsidian these days, but I seriously only just realised that Kate Dollarhyde is the Lead Narrative Designer on Avowed. For some reason I thought she was working with Sawyer on his pet project.

In light of this revelation, my expectations for Avowed went from zero to *this has to be Obsidian's worst, sjw ridden game yet*.

Or maybe exactly that unholy union of Patel and Dollarhyde will turn out a good game, what the hell do I know?

Quillon

Arcane
I know I barely show interest in Obsidian these days, but I seriously only just realised that Kate Dollarhyde is the Lead Narrative Designer on Avowed. For some reason I thought she was working with Sawyer on his pet project.

In light of this revelation, my expectations for Avowed went from zero to *this has to be Obsidian's worst, sjw ridden game yet*.

Or maybe exactly that unholy union of Patel and Dollarhyde will turn out a good game, what the hell do I know?

Joined the studio after PoE1 released with no prior gamedev experience, now in charge of the biggest game of the studio. She must be talented af golden child and only we are not able to see it guys, come on! :D

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Joined the studio after PoE1 released with no prior gamedev experience, now in charge of the biggest game of the studio. She must be talented af golden child and only we are not able to see it guys, come on!

Patel's climb through the ranks was documented in Beneath a Starless Sky.

When Eric Fenstermaker and Chris Avellone left Obsidian, Carrie Patel became the only narrative designer who had worked on every installment of Pillars of Eternity: the base game, the two-part White March expansion set, and Deadfire.

“I had a lot of institutional knowledge and a greater awareness of how our pipelines worked, of the Pillars tone and flavor, and what our vast lore included,” she said. “Also, because all of the other leads were incredibly busy, I was often a much easier person to approach about a lot of those questions. Writers and people from other disciplines who wanted to know something about Pillars lore or how we did things, like using our tools, would oftentimes come to me with those questions.”

Already spinning several plates as Deadfire’s game director, Sawyer took on the role of lead narrative designer. Someone had needed to fill the void left by Fenstermaker. He also wanted an opportunity to take a hand in the game’s story and characters.

Patel quickly fell into step with Sawyer, collaborating with him as she had with Fenstermaker. “I find that Josh is very reasonable and willing to hear things out, and then take those things into consideration,” she said. “For Pillars II, whenever there was a question about a big creative direction or decision that needed to be made, I'd pass it to him and say, ‘Where do you want to head on this?’ When it was something that was kind of established or understood, or if it needed more definition or something we already had an internal answer on, I'd usually follow up on it on my own.”

Sawyer gave Patel and the other narrative designers the credit for carrying the heaviest loads. He had to be more concerned with the ten-thousand-feet view out of necessity: story structure, making sure the story gave players freedom to confront moral dilemmas and respond to them in their own way, and providing opportunities for players to flex their tactical-combat muscles. “I wrote Pallegina, which is the companion I wrote in Pillars I,” said Sawyer. “I wrote Eothas, who is the main, driving force behind the plot in Deadfire. And I wrote a handful of side characters.”

In January 2018, a few months before Deadfire was due to launch, Sawyer asked Patel to meet with him in his office. He had been impressed with the creative work and responsibilities she had undertaken since joining Obsidian, especially on Deadfire. He asked if he could formally recognize her as co-lead narrative designer, a promotion that would lead to other opportunities following the completion of Pillars of Eternity II. Patel accepted.

And from there she directed the Peril on Gorgon DLC and was considered good enough to replace Parker once he pratfalled in front of Microsoft.

Codex Year of the Donut
“I wrote Pallegina, which is the companion I wrote in Pillars I,” said Sawyer. “I wrote Eothas, who is the main, driving force behind the plot in Deadfire.
this explains a lot.
And from there she directed the Peril on Gorgon DLC
this DLC took about as long to make as oldsidian took to make the entirety of FNV

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Joined the studio after PoE1 released with no prior gamedev experience, now in charge of the biggest game of the studio. She must be talented af golden child and only we are not able to see it guys, come on!

When Eric Fenstermaker and Chris Avellone left Obsidian, Carrie Patel became the only narrative designer who had worked on every installment of Pillars of Eternity: the base game, the two-part White March expansion set, and Deadfire.

“I had a lot of institutional knowledge and a greater awareness of how our pipelines worked, of the Pillars tone and flavor, and what our vast lore included,” she said. “Also, because all of the other leads were incredibly busy, I was often a much easier person to approach about a lot of those questions. Writers and people from other disciplines who wanted to know something about Pillars lore or how we did things, like using our tools, would oftentimes come to me with those questions.”

Already spinning several plates as Deadfire’s game director, Sawyer took on the role of lead narrative designer. Someone had needed to fill the void left by Fenstermaker. He also wanted an opportunity to take a hand in the game’s story and characters.

Patel quickly fell into step with Sawyer, collaborating with him as she had with Fenstermaker. “I find that Josh is very reasonable and willing to hear things out, and then take those things into consideration,” she said. “For Pillars II, whenever there was a question about a big creative direction or decision that needed to be made, I'd pass it to him and say, ‘Where do you want to head on this?’ When it was something that was kind of established or understood, or if it needed more definition or something we already had an internal answer on, I'd usually follow up on it on my own.”

Sawyer gave Patel and the other narrative designers the credit for carrying the heaviest loads. He had to be more concerned with the ten-thousand-feet view out of necessity: story structure, making sure the story gave players freedom to confront moral dilemmas and respond to them in their own way, and providing opportunities for players to flex their tactical-combat muscles. “I wrote Pallegina, which is the companion I wrote in Pillars I,” said Sawyer. “I wrote Eothas, who is the main, driving force behind the plot in Deadfire. And I wrote a handful of side characters.”

In January 2018, a few months before Deadfire was due to launch, Sawyer asked Patel to meet with him in his office. He had been impressed with the creative work and responsibilities she had undertaken since joining Obsidian, especially on Deadfire. He asked if he could formally recognize her as co-lead narrative designer, a promotion that would lead to other opportunities following the completion of Pillars of Eternity II. Patel accepted.

And from there she directed the Peril on Gorgon DLC and was considered good enough to replace Parker once he pratfalled in front of Microsoft.

I mean considering Sawyer seems to have been in charge of some of the worst parts of Deadfire. Really Kate Dollarhyde can't be too bad. As far as I know she wrote some of the good parts of Deadlife like Fort Deadlight. Do you know any other parts she wrote?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I was talking about Kate D's climb, or leap. I shoulda said "in charge of narrative" instead.

Similar rise. She was co-narrative lead on Peril then Lucien Soulban quit Avowed, so she took his place.

As far as I know she wrote some of the good parts of Deadlife like Fort Deadlight. Do you know any other parts she wrote?

Megan Starks wrote Deadlight. Dollarhyde wrote Rekke, Konstanten, and Modwyr. Also inherited Parvati in The Outer Worlds.

What’s this now?

Basically https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-eternity-setting.134122/page-38#post-7133981

Avellone more or less received the same info https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-eternity-setting.134122/page-42#post-7478211

RepHope

Savant
How does the good ol’ boy structure of the founders coexist with the SJW retards of nuObsidian I wonder? Why would they hire these dangerhairs over their fellow white men, and even promote them? Feargus doesn’t strike me as that progressive. Patel and Dollahyde fucking blow, is there truly no one else at Obsidian capable of stepping up now?

Harthwain

Magister
Joined the studio after PoE1 released with no prior gamedev experience, now in charge of the biggest game of the studio. She must be talented af golden child and only we are not able to see it guys, come on! :D
Considering that the industry veterans keep failing, I am not at all surprised with this change. I am curious what the result will be, but considering how their latest project turned out (and believing the problems behind it was highly cultural in nature) I have no hopes and no expectations whatsoever. As long as developers aren't putting gaming first and foremost it is not likely something good will come out of it.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

This is actually a very useful/insightful description of how somebody can climb in the ranks at the office by acting as a de-facto gatekeeper to a higher-up who is too busy to handle requests from people.

Codex Year of the Donut
How does the good ol’ boy structure of the founders coexist with the SJW retards of nuObsidian I wonder? Why would they hire these dangerhairs over their fellow white men, and even promote them? Feargus doesn’t strike me as that progressive. Patel and Dollahyde fucking blow, is there truly no one else at Obsidian capable of stepping up now?
how do you think people who have nothing to do with videogames even get hired at these places to begin with?
without someone at the company getting them the job they'd likely have never known it existed

Quillon

Arcane
Considering that the industry veterans keep failing, I am not at all surprised with this change. I am curious what the result will be, but considering how their latest project turned out (and believing the problems behind it was highly cultural in nature) I have no hopes and no expectations whatsoever. As long as developers aren't putting gaming first and foremost it is not likely something good will come out of it.

Problem is Kate D's work is agenda driven shit and Patel's just talentless imo; I must have only enjoyed the writing of Iselmyr from all she wrote. The other 2 writers actually show some promise but don't get no promotions or anything. As I said before whenever I wondered who was behind something I enjoyed in Deadfire, it turned out to be almost always Paul Kirsch's work.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Dollarhyde wrote Rekke, Konstanten, and Modwyr.
She has some sort of hand fetish? Massage dorf fag, sword talks about hands all the time, Rekke don't speak proper human language so probably used gestures too.
Collaboration project with JarlFrank when? Few more experts and they can write proper character.

The "good ole boys" are their own clique within Obsidian. They don't make games anymore. But they want to look like they do without actually caring who makes the games now. They sit around the office and play video games whilst the dangerhairs all make the game with no supervision.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
After aggressive shilling for Obsidian for over a decade, Infinitron is still light years away from position of Obsidian's janitor, let alone duty of writing descriptions for dildos in Outer Worlds 2. Meanwhile, couple of vagina owners, climbed to the top of company thanks to high blowjob skill. Jews fucked up us all, but they fucked up themselves too. Sweet, sweet irony

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom