Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming November 12th(?)

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
TOW had what might have been the beginning of an aborted third person perspective implementation. If you were idle for long enough, the camera would zoom out and show you your character standing in place.

Sòren

Arcane
Carrie Patel showing off some gameplay, with full transcript: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/podcast/xbox-games-showcase-deep-dive-avowed/

makes the game look better and more developed than i expected if they want to release it this year, because based on the trailers so far, it's like they haven't even finished basic combat animations - it still looks clunky, but at least there is a feeling here that it was a conscious design choice (no matter how awful it actually feels for the player).

writing is as shitty as you can expect from obsidian, after they lost all people of value in that department. look at 24:28.
the protagonist asks: "For How long have you been here?"
plant queen (very creative character btw): "For all time."
and directly after your next dialogue choice, she says that "(the heart) belonged to someone who tended this grove longer than I have been here."

how stupid do you have to be to write that up and even put it in a trailer? especially if we are talking with an ancient being (but admittedly, she doesn't seem any less ridiculous than the gods from Pillars 1 and 2; writers at obsdian just do not know how a conversation with a person who is intellectually superior, more experienced and more powerful would look like, because they are surrounded by cretins like themselves all the time).

skill trees, i looked carefully at the footage they show here, are even more simplified than skyrims, as others pointed out. "rank 2: cast fire with two hands." "rank 3: increase parry effiency by 50%." "rank 4: block with your huge trans genitals."

TOW was already so bland and boring, it wasn't even entertaining to make fun of, and it doesn't look like they have improved.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
Avowed bethesda-esque skill trees:
SidFhOB.png
2024 hot take: Tim Cain ruined RPGs by introducing perks. Now all our RPGs are just basic bitch action games with +damage perks slapped on.
How is having a skill that does one basic thing, except you raise it from 0 to 100 any better? The issue isn't perks (or skills), it's uninteresting perks and skills.

Old Hans

Arcane
the protagonist asks: "For How long have you been here?"
plant queen (very creative character btw): "For all time."
and directly after your next dialogue choice, she says that "(the heart) belonged to someone who tended this grove longer than I have been here."
tenor.gif

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
it still looks clunky, but at least there is a feeling here that it was a conscious design choice (no matter how awful it actually feels for the player).
I mean the previous two Pillars games were full of intentionally bad design decisions, so it would be on par for the series.

Lemming42

Arcane
Not to be a negative nancy but this looks like shit.

"The Outer Worlds crossed with Pillars of Eternity" is literally the most sickening series of words in the English language. Translate it into other languages and it'll be the most sickening phrase in them too. The fucking awful garish colours and horrible UI are just a direct lift from TOW, everything about this game triggers TOW PTSD.

Vyvian

Educated
I kinda liked the gameplay video they put out recently. The companions though, I don't like Orlans and they were really pushing that one.
I liked it a hell of a lot more than the abortion I just saw today from Bioware that's for damn sure.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Not to be a negative nancy but this looks like shit.

"The Outer Worlds crossed with Pillars of Eternity" is literally the most sickening series of words in the English language. Translate it into other languages and it'll be the most sickening phrase in them too. The fucking awful garish colours and horrible UI are just a direct lift from TOW, everything about this game triggers TOW PTSD.
I have not played TOW yet but I see it looking back at me on gamepass each time I am scrolling to see what to try next. What is so terrible about TOW?

Lemming42

Arcane
I have not played TOW yet but I see it looking back at me on gamepass each time I am scrolling to see what to try next. What is so terrible about TOW?
It's the blandest game in the world but the big issue is the writing and worldbuilding, which is just absolutely shocking. I could write about it all day but to summarise, it's an extremely heavy-handed satire made by people who have nothing useful or funny to say about the topic at hand, every character is an irritating caricature (and half of them exist to tell you sub Rick & Morty jokes), the central conflict is completely black and white and the "corporate" faction are demonised to the point where the game repeatedly tells you outright that there's no advantage to siding with them and everyone you meet from that faction is not allowed to possess any nuance, the companions are all absolutely awful (except Nyoka, who's merely very boring). It's also very tonally confused, it's ostensibly a wacky satirical comedy but it also feels very dour and serious and up its own ass. I'm saying all this as someone who is, theoretically, a good target audience for a big extended whine about capitalism, because I'm left-wing economically, but even I thought TOW was brainless fucking shit.

Outside the writing, though, it's like a Bethesda game that's somehow worse than any Bethesda game. Just big open maps that are mostly empty and filled with scattered bandit/animal mobs, a character system which doesn't really feel consequential (including the least exciting Perks ever devised for a videogame), combat and stealth mechanics that are passable but deeply uninteresting, etc. Dungeons are about the quality of something like Fo4. Quest design is theoretically fine but there's just no motivation to be messing around with alternate routes and shit when the simple act of playing the game is so draining.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's the blandest game in the world but the big issue is the writing and worldbuilding, which is just absolutely shocking. I could write about it all day but to summarise, it's an extremely heavy-handed satire made by people who have nothing useful or funny to say about the topic at hand, every character is an irritating caricature (and half of them exist to tell you sub Rick & Morty jokes), the central conflict is completely black and white and the "corporate" faction are demonised to the point where the game repeatedly tells you outright that there's no advantage to siding with them and everyone you meet from that faction is not allowed to possess any nuance, the companions are all absolutely awful (except Nyoka, who's merely very boring). It's also very tonally confused, it's ostensibly a wacky satirical comedy but it also feels very dour and serious and up its own ass. I'm saying all this as someone who is, theoretically, a good target audience for a big extended whine about capitalism, because I'm left-wing economically, but even I thought TOW was brainless fucking shit.

Outside the writing, though, it's like a Bethesda game that's somehow worse than any Bethesda game. Just big open maps that are mostly empty and filled with scattered bandit/animal mobs, a character system which doesn't really feel consequential (including the least exciting Perks ever devised for a videogame), combat and stealth mechanics that are passable but deeply uninteresting, etc. Dungeons are about the quality of something like Fo4. Quest design is theoretically fine but there's just no motivation to be messing around with alternate routes and shit when the simple act of playing the game is so draining.
Take into consideration I put 50+ hours into Starfield (and consider it 6/10 game), how would it compare to Starfield?

Is the writing at least better than average Bethesda game, or at least more funny?

Lemming42

Arcane
I'd also give Starfield a 6/10. I'd say Starfield has better combat. Exploration in both games is obviously a total mess. It's sort of like Starfield without any ship gameplay, and a smaller handful of equally shitty planets.

Writing-wise, I really can't express how much I hated TOW. Starfield just washed over me, I wasn't engaged with the plot or setting but didn't really have a problem with it, and enjoyed the pirate questline. TOW actively repelled me, I really hated it. Bethesda writing at least generally doesn't have any pretensions, but TOW is nothing but pretensions. You'd probably have to try it yourself to see if it clicks with you but I'm warning you, it is raw sewage in game form, and you may end up a broken husk like I am after playing it.

Sòren

Arcane

Take into consideration I put 50+ hours into Starfield (and consider it 6/10 game), how would it compare to Starfield?

Is the writing at least better than average Bethesda game, or at least more funny?

the game is nothing. well, almost nothing. the only aspect that might evoke some emotions is how insultingly bad they push the "strong wymens" trope there. are you lesbian? oh you might enjoy partnering one of your crew members with a chink. it takes about 10 minutes. what else? there is a corporation that experiments with toothpaste and it goes horribly wrong (shocking) and you have to kill thousands of mutated dogs.

i wouldn't even recommend it if you got nothing better to do for 20 hours. just do push ups until you are drooling on the floor.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Companions and romances in videogames are such a fucking waste of resources it's surreal.
It's your adventure, as a player/characte, not of others with you. The whole game should be tailored to dealing with obstacles by oneself not with friends. How is this blatant aspect ignored so much?

Bulo

Scholar
both games' looks were realistic
You think like that because all you see in Deadfire and 1 are the miniature of the world/building/people, and even then the character design looks cartoonish-ish, despite semi-realistic environment.

This game is no different.

All I hear is that you people have mental dissonance over the much bigger, first person world design. If this game was an Isometric RPG, it still going to look the same compared to Deadfire and Pillars 1.
The latest trailer actually did start off with a couple of pseudo-iso shots, allowing one to make the comparison.

cDcFaHbCZynx.jpeg

7Kf1xsBdPFtg.jpeg

And here's Deadfire.
ss_a94a39544efd153a63926edb5e1f528f3dc612e6.1920x1080.jpg
Pillars 2 is gorgeous. Shame it's so gay

scytheavatar

Scholar
Companions and romances in videogames are such a fucking waste of resources it's surreal.
It's your adventure, as a player/characte, not of others with you. The whole game should be tailored to dealing with obstacles by oneself not with friends. How is this blatant aspect ignored so much?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartle_taxonomy_of_player_types

As the Bartle taxonomy of player types puts it, there are a large group of players who Socializers and gain the most enjoyment from a RPG by interacting with fictional friends. They are a large percentage of the audiences and not something game devs of RPGs can ignore.

I'll go as far as to say there's more people who want to romance their companions than there are those who seek to min max their characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom