Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming November 12th(?)

Lemming42

Arcane
writing is as shitty as you can expect from obsidian, after they lost all people of value in that department. look at 24:28.
the protagonist asks: "For How long have you been here?"
plant queen (very creative character btw): "For all time."
and directly after your next dialogue choice, she says that "(the heart) belonged to someone who tended this grove longer than I have been here."
This whole exchange made me laugh so much that I decided to see if AI could beat Obsidian's writers. I fed the in-game dialogue into it, then let AI continue the conversation, responding to my questions:

59bIvTY.png

I buy it. An unthinking, unalive, unfeeling computer program has more or less managed to write Obsidian out of a corner. The sooner these jokers are replaced by machines, the better.

Sòren

Arcane
writing is as shitty as you can expect from obsidian, after they lost all people of value in that department. look at 24:28.
and directly after your next dialogue choice, she says that "(the heart) belonged to someone who tended this grove longer than I have been here."
This whole exchange made me laugh so much that I decided to see if AI could beat Obsidian's writers. I fed the in-game dialogue into it, then let AI continue the conversation, responding to my questions:

59bIvTY.png

I buy it. An unthinking, unalive, unfeeling computer program has more or less managed to write Obsidian out of a corner. The sooner these jokers are replaced by machines, the better.

that's really not bad. i am impressed.

Orange Clock

Novice
All this trailers, interviews and reveals.. yet still they don’t answer two most important questions(for us, Deadfire fans)

1. Di verus, are we to expect foreign words thrown into conversations, ac? They must add them, I say. Make the world so much immersive and believable, per complanca. (Also add mouseover loredumps)
2. I didn’t see any pets. Does it mean we won’t be able to get our own animal harem in camp? Or is it a Ranger ability

zaze

Barely Literate

59bIvTY.png

don't you worry I'm sure they'll find a way to enshittify AI too

Lemming42

Arcane
Wait, Josh isn't involved? I've been wishing agony and excrement and death upon him for TOW, but looking it up, it turns out he really isn't involved with that or with this. Josh, I am so sorry. I'm so ashamed of what I've been wishing upon you. I'll go back to wishing misery upon you for PoE instead.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Wait, Josh isn't involved? I've been wishing agony and excrement and death upon him for TOW, but looking it up, it turns out he really isn't involved with that or with this. Josh, I am so sorry. I'm so ashamed of what I've been wishing upon you. I'll go back to wishing misery upon you for PoE instead.
One wonders what he actually has been doing since his visual novel shipped more than 18 months ago. As much as Feargus loves him, he probably still has to keep up appearances of doing work.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
No romance for the players. But they get to watch others have sex in a corner lmao.

u7orfc.jpg
hmm space buns
I remember a fan of space buns
5ecdfbb10644dbbf9a8110ad801490e0c3809d9b.jpg

There are space buns in the game!
I just really hope that there's at least a space buns option, tho my dream would be a middle parted with hair clips lewk!
2. Since i’m a girl irl (in real life) and also like to play girls afrl (away from real life), can you give your girl protagonists space buns (a super trendy irl hairstyle fyi) with pastel hair tips in the outer worlds character creator?

Last edited:

Vulpes

Scholar
What's their sales pitch even supposed to be? Who the fuck is their target audience? Obsidian fans who like exploring the world of PoE? Do those people even exist? It's certainly not gamers who enjoy ARPGs for the gameplay, because it looks barely better than vanilla Skyrim.

No romance for the players. But they get to watch others have sex in a corner lmao.

u7orfc.jpg

Lemming42

Arcane
What's their sales pitch even supposed to be? Who the fuck is their target audience? Obsidian fans who like exploring the world of PoE? Do those people even exist? It's certainly not gamers who enjoy ARPGs for the gameplay, because it looks barely better than vanilla Skyrim.
I doubt whoever gave the project the green light had any deeper reasoning than "a Skyrim clone might make money". The PoE setting won't help much but it probably won't hinder either; most people who do play this will just be looking for any old ARPG and think "ooh, looks a bit like a shitty Skyrim knockoff" without knowing/caring about PoE. On top of that, as with TOW, there might be a few people who hear the name Obsidian and think of New Vegas and go into the game based on that goodwill, which will probably be immediately exhausted in the first hour of the game.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Companions and romances in videogames are such a fucking waste of resources it's surreal.
It's your adventure, as a player/character, not of others with you. The whole game should be tailored to dealing with obstacles by oneself not with friends. How is this blatant aspect ignored so much?
As much as anyone focused on gameplay detests companion romances, the success of Baldur's Gate 3 has ensured this will be a prominent feature of large-budget party-based RPGs for the forseeable future (and even including Bethesda-style PC plus one companion RPGs; Starfield already had romances for the four mandatory companions). From the perspective of profit maximization, this is sadly the opposite of wasting resources, for any game in which companion romances are feasible.

:despair:

TheKing01

Literate

u7orfc.jpg

Another product pushing for the normalization of beastiality. It's interesting how we as a species are on a trajectory of complete and total degeneracy, almost in spite of the mistakes of the past

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Is mod support in? I think it's quite wish to ditch romances. Waste of fucking energy and if mods are in and the game is decent there will be stuff for sure.

Ed: wise not wish

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
One wonders what he actually has been doing since his visual novel shipped more than 18 months ago. As much as Feargus loves him, he probably still has to keep up appearances of doing work.

He gives feedback on Avowed and TOW 2 that nobody has to listen to and is being held on to until they get the greenlight for a project he's excited about.

Another product pushing for the normalization of beastiality. It's interesting how we as a species are on a trajectory of complete and total degeneracy, almost in spite of the mistakes of the past
Furries are not bestiality.
lqn4YmNyLoUN.png

Lemming42

Arcane
Has anyone downloaded the "fankit" on their site? In addition to cosplay guides (for characters you've not encountered in an unreleased game you haven't played), you can get some cool screenshots:
jTIv5ZW.jpeg

You could tell me this was TOW and I would not look twice. It's actually "The Slumbering Fields" apparently (christ) but it looks like TOW to me.

They also include a screenshot of what appears to be The Elder Scrolls Online:
3rfK1Iv.jpeg

EDIT: I think they forgot to include the cosplay guide. It's not here!

Butter

Arcane
Patron
He gives feedback on Avowed and TOW 2 that nobody has to listen to and is being held on to until they get the greenlight for a project he's excited about.
He's gone on record saying he makes upwards of 200k per year. Nobody's feedback is worth that much, and I can't believe they'd tolerate him sitting around for a year and a half because "nothing excites him". Then pitch something, you fucking clown.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He's gone on record saying he makes upwards of 200k per year. Nobody's feedback is worth that much, and I can't believe they'd tolerate him sitting around for a year and a half because "nothing excites him". Then pitch something, you fucking clown.
Feargus obviously puts a great deal of value on Josh and it's been said that MS really wants a follow-up to New Vegas if the stars on that can ever align.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
As much as anyone focused on gameplay detests companion romances, the success of Baldur's Gate 3 has ensured this will be a prominent feature of large-budget party-based RPGs for the forseeable future (and even including Bethesda-style PC plus one companion RPGs; Starfield already had romances for the four mandatory companions). From the perspective of profit maximization, this is sadly the opposite of wasting resources, for any game in which companion romances are feasible.
Yeah but it still is unexplainable, unless you explain with "lol, money".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom