Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming November 12th(?)

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Even their bots are shit.

"Wow! I can't wait to explore the Living Lands, a mysterious island filled with adventure and danger, coming this Fall! This is a real human opinion!"

-ObsidianFan334

Who the fuck do you think this is fooling? It's almost as bad as the Dragon Age shills having "I cream 4 Solas" in their actual Twitter handles.

:deathclaw:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
That one particular fight against Mushroom Men in the newest trailer does seem a lot more fluent than the very first clumsiness-fest we've seen, though.
I like how the player staggers after attacking them—because of the inappropriate weaponry.
There's some hope yet.

EDIT:
Damn, I blame it on the morning brain fog. There was no stagger. Just a thud sound instead of a 'swish', the player attacked with the hand-guard instead of the blade, and the Mushroom Men glowed.
In other words, a made-up, nonsensically telltale graphical effect and a confusing translation of the weapon having bouncied off of something as a character suddenly getting clumsy.

Man...

Last edited:
both games' looks were realistic
You think like that because all you see in Deadfire and 1 are the miniature of the world/building/people, and even then the character design looks cartoonish-ish, despite semi-realistic environment.

This game is no different.

All I hear is that you people have mental dissonance over the much bigger, first person world design. If this game was an Isometric RPG, it still going to look the same compared to Deadfire and Pillars 1.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
the garish, hyper-cartoony look of Avowed.
I remember they spent time and effort to make a medieval bathroom right/realistic through iterations in deadfire, an isometric gaym, both games' looks were realistic af but now just cos it is said something along the lines of "the living lands is wacky" in the lore they went crazy on everything and they don't need a second invite to paint the game eye melting purple & pink(again after TOW)

Things being grey and brown does not make them realistic. If anything a lot of medieval fantasy lacks color. I personally like what they did with armor and weapon designs especially.

Quillon

Arcane
the garish, hyper-cartoony look of Avowed.
I remember they spent time and effort to make a medieval bathroom right/realistic through iterations in deadfire, an isometric gaym, both games' looks were realistic af but now just cos it is said something along the lines of "the living lands is wacky" in the lore they went crazy on everything and they don't need a second invite to paint the game eye melting purple & pink(again after TOW)

Things being grey and brown does not make them realistic. If anything a lot of medieval fantasy lacks color. I personally like what they did with armor and weapon designs especially.
What I meant with purple and pink is mostly the spell fx blown to our faces or on the objects in the environment from the gameplay videos you can see, very simlar with TOW, which is separate from unrealistic artstyle of the game which it was in pillows 1&2.

This looks more fable-y than that Fable gaym lol, apart from the character that game looks great.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Just give us something interesting ffs. I don't care what colour it is just give us good dungeons, some good progression, some good exploration and don't shove the damn agenda in my face every goddamn second. Is it too much to ask for someone to just make a game as good as Ultima Underworld, Arx Fatalis, Dark Messiah or even just something with some depth like Morrowind?! What is the malfunction with these people.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
What I meant with purple and pink is mostly the spell fx blown to our faces or on the objects in the environment from the gameplay videos you can see, very simlar with TOW, which is separate from unrealistic artstyle of the game which it was in pillows 1&2.

This looks more fable-y than that Fable gaym lol, apart from the character that game looks great.

Yeah there is a trend of just oversaturating games with particle effects to overcompensate for lack of coherent VFX direction in general, though I like how equipment and environment looks on this one so the VFX just being that didn't particularly jump at me.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You think like that because all you see in Deadfire and 1 are the miniature of the world/building/people, and even then the character design looks cartoonish-ish, despite semi-realistic environment.

All I hear is that you people have mental dissonance over the much bigger, first person world design. If this game was an Isometric RPG, it still going to look the same compared to Deadfire and Pillars 1.
The latest trailer actually did start off with a couple of pseudo-iso shots, allowing one to make the comparison.

cDcFaHbCZynx.jpeg

7Kf1xsBdPFtg.jpeg

And here's Deadfire.
ss_a94a39544efd153a63926edb5e1f528f3dc612e6.1920x1080.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
With the addition of third person perspective it might be possible to create an isometric mode mod for Avowed.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Just give us something interesting ffs. I don't care what colour it is just give us good dungeons, some good progression, some good exploration and don't shove the damn agenda in my face every goddamn second. Is it too much to ask for someone to just make a game as good as Ultima Underworld, Arx Fatalis, Dark Messiah or even just something with some depth like Morrowind?! What is the malfunction with these people.
Yes, unfortunately very too much to ask.
Complex, immersive FPS simms is the most expensive genre (development-wise) with the least audience, and therefore the payout is poor even if it is a success.
No large companies, only madmen without personal lives like Ratower now risk it.
Then again, developing tools are getting more accessible by the day, many graphical assets are free, latest remakes of legendary games pave way for broader audience, and AI is likely going to help gifted single-developers' plight immensely very soon.
There's hope!

The latest trailer actually did start off with a couple of pseudo-iso shots, allowing one to make the comparison.

cDcFaHbCZynx.jpeg

7Kf1xsBdPFtg.jpeg

And here's Deadfire.
ss_a94a39544efd153a63926edb5e1f528f3dc612e6.1920x1080.jpg
It's Deadfire HD+ 4K.

Shoutout to Deadfire environmental artist. Hands down the best Pre-rendered environment ever created.

scytheavatar

Scholar
AI is likely going to help gifted single-developers
If the single developer is "Gifted" they will not need an AI.

If they need AI, the single developer is not gifted.

Gifted artists have no reason to fear AI cause the product they make will always be better than what AI can make. If AI makes great art the gifted artists are able to use AI to create art better than great. Art is never static, what that is great art today becomes boring shit tomorrow. The gifted artists understands that and are at the forefront of pushing the changes.

It's the non gifted that needs to fear AI cause they are the ones who are made redundant.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
AI is likely going to help gifted single-developers
If the single developer is "Gifted" they will not need an AI.

If they need AI, the single developer is not gifted.
Hmm, I don't know what your reasoning was, but mine has been that being a single dev, you never have enough of one asset even more than most, and that's time.
If the single developer is gifted, they—and consequently us as players—would benefit from AI immensely simply because they would need not to focus on menial tasks and leave that to AI.
Instead, they can focus on what differentiates a good game from a bad one: gameplay mechanics, level and encounter design, ingenuity of approaches, creating art, etc.

Last edited:
Gifted developer means X amount of good content in 1 year. Gifted + AI means X times 5 good content in 1 year
I would love to see the material proof of this because so far all I've seen are:
1. AI voiced slop dialogue
2. AI "word salad" drawing
3. AI moving photographic reel which are basically stir fried corporate stock videos.

If AI makes great art the gifted
IF.

So far all I've seen the gifted didn't need AI to create anything.

AI created nothing that could be worthy as an "Art". Well I guess it's good enough for artistically stunted audience.

Automation
Automation, tool to help the developer, perhaps.

So far, well as far as I've seen, the AI attempt not to automate process but to produce the end product.

If the AI was the wrench being used by Technician/Developers, it would be fine, probably. But AI being used to bypass Technician/Developers to produce the product directly... well, I am not a fan.

===

Let's do a quick study case.

A gifted developer trying to create a single player cRPG.

A gifted developer only gifted in programming. But bad at drawing. Instead of collaborating with artist, to maximize profit they employ AI to draw their art. Resulting in Drawing salad that "Look like" something "decent" which are being used as the artistic foundation of the product. With this, the gifted developer (in programming) can produce 5 times more games which are functionally sound but artistically dubious.

10 others "gifted" developer employ the same tactics. 10 others "gifted" developer produced video games which has the same weird looking art because the AI is basically drawing "the water from the same well".

If you are okay with this, it's fine.

But I'd rather much prefer the Single-Developer team up with other person with different skill set if the single developer does not have the time to learn to do other stuff which they aren't really talented to do.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Gifted developer means X amount of good content in 1 year. Gifted + AI means X times 5 good content in 1 year
I would love to see the material proof of this because so far all I've seen are:
1. AI voiced slop dialogue
2. AI "word salad" drawing
3. AI moving photographic reel which are basically stir fried corporate stock videos.

If AI makes great art the gifted
IF.

So far all I've seen the gifted didn't need AI to create anything.

AI created nothing that could be worthy as an "Art". Well I guess it's good enough for artistically stunted audience.

Automation
Automation, tool to help the developer, perhaps.

So far, well as far as I've seen, the AI attempt not to automate process but to produce the end product.

If the AI was the wrench being used by Technician/Developers, it would be fine, probably. But AI being used to bypass Technician/Developers to produce the product directly... well, I am not a fan.

===

Let's do a quick study case.

A gifted developer trying to create a single player cRPG.

A gifted developer only gifted in programming. But bad at drawing. Instead of collaborating with artist, to maximize profit they employ AI to draw their art. Resulting in Drawing salad that "Look like" something "decent" which are being used as the artistic foundation of the product. With this, the gifted developer (in programming) can produce 5 times more games which are functionally sound but artistically dubious.

10 others "gifted" developer employ the same tactics. 10 others "gifted" developer produced video games which has the same weird looking art because the AI is basically drawing "the water from the same well".

If you are okay with this, it's fine.

But I'd rather much prefer the Single-Developer team up with other person with different skill set if the single developer does not have the time to learn to do other stuff which they aren't really talented to do.
In your later example that gifted single coder cannot afford a gifted art person so with no AI he will get same or worse than AI but there will be 5x less art and whole thing will look worse or have less overall content (Due to lacking art for it).

Sure this will cause an even bigger influx of bad games but if you are able to wade through trash you will also find more good games.

Last edited:
In your later example that gifted single coder cannot afford a gifted art person so with no AI he will get same or worse than AI but there will be 5x less art and whole thing will look worse or have less overall content (Due to lacking art for it).
Actually, I "carefully" paragraphed that sentence as a trap, of short.

If the developer only "gifted" in coding, they're not really "gifted", they're "just" a great/talented coder.

You either a Concerned Ape or TobyFox, or you're not.

I personally prefer a bad art which are handcrafted. People understand the scope of a product and will judge accordingly.

And connecting with an artist who can draw is not a monumental task to accomplish if this talented coder already set their mind to it. They "just" need to re-focus from maximizing profit to producing a proper product.

Of course there are plenty other factors that I left out in order to give that example. The scope can be smaller so they can afford that artist, if they had to pay it in advance, for example.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I would love to see the material proof of this because...
Rest easily. YOU won't :lol:

And not that it likely matters to you—but I'm done talking to you. At least, until you let go of the need to defend backwardish logic for the sake of it, or using examples that failed as arguments of the inevitable doom of other attempts.
Instead of, you know, like... exploring possibilities and benefits the new technology can provide us with.
Bye.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Writers: AI will never replace the creativity and artistic skill of humans.

Also writers: You should touch my adbominal muscles, they ripple

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Title needs changing, game has third person as well, as per that deep dive.
Yeah I was pleasantly surprised by that, I was sure they were going to go full TOW in that respect. Bumps me from being on the fence about buying it to it being a probable purchase, even if it does look a bit bland and simplified.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Writers: AI will never replace the creativity and artistic skill of humans.

Also writers: You should touch my adbominal muscles, they ripple
AI version would be: "Here is my dickpic, it is throbbing for you!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom