Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming November 12th(?)

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Briar Diem Brandon Adler used to show up here occasionally too fyi.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Codex always gives a good, wild ride! This thread is bonkers but 100% warranted. The trailer fails to show much in its 2 minute run time, which also means it fails as a trailer, many at the studio certainly agree. To clear up misconceptions though I'll say this, the game is big and open, it is unfair to compare it to OW (I think Ferg is trying to keep expectations down just in case), which I think it is nothing alike, this coming from someone who did not like much of OW, especially the art style.

The studio that did the trailer did some compression of colors and image editing, the screenshots that have been released are much more representative of what it looks like just running through it (they also are appear to be totally random shots from the game, I'm not sure why these were chosen out all the things, probably to keep spoilers at minimum). A lot of the game is being kept hidden right now, I think you will have to wait until the next trailer or some sort of presentation to really see it, but it is safe to assume it is very Obsidian, for better or for worse :lol:. No, the entire game isn't all bright and happy town, no it is not all so indistinct visually, just the spots shown in the trailer. There are lots of characters, quests, conversations, various game mechanics, big story, etc. Hopefully we can just release more shots from the game without having to worry about another trailer. I miss working on POEs where we could just leak our own shit and no one could tell us no.

I guess take that as you will. Dumpsterfire comments are bit overhype, development is going well right now, MS is allowing Obsidian free license to do as they will, and if it is success or fails it'll be on Obsidian's own terms.
But will it match Starfield 30 FPS on most powerful consoles? :D

ArchAngel

Arcane
IDK , Pathfinder and Divinity sold pretty well
Pathfinder and Divinity were both full 3d though, maybe more accessible? Yea you're right though, if game is fun enough shouldn't matter. Divinity eclipsed POE's by an insane margin of sales.
I've played Deadfire recently and it looks much prettier than either DOS or both Pathfinder games. It was not about 2d or 3d.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But we must be fair and understanding. It would be unreasonable for us to expect something better than something worse.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Codex always gives a good, wild ride! This thread is bonkers but 100% warranted. The trailer fails to show much in its 2 minute run time, which also means it fails as a trailer, many at the studio certainly agree. To clear up misconceptions though I'll say this, the game is big and open, it is unfair to compare it to OW (I think Ferg is trying to keep expectations down just in case), which I think it is nothing alike, this coming from someone who did not like much of OW, especially the art style.

The studio that did the trailer did some compression of colors and image editing, the screenshots that have been released are much more representative of what it looks like just running through it (they also are appear to be totally random shots from the game, I'm not sure why these were chosen out all the things, probably to keep spoilers at minimum). A lot of the game is being kept hidden right now, I think you will have to wait until the next trailer or some sort of presentation to really see it, but it is safe to assume it is very Obsidian, for better or for worse :lol:. No, the entire game isn't all bright and happy town, no it is not all so indistinct visually, just the spots shown in the trailer. There are lots of characters, quests, conversations, various game mechanics, big story, etc. Hopefully we can just release more shots from the game without having to worry about another trailer. I miss working on POEs where we could just leak our own shit and no one could tell us no.

I guess take that as you will. Dumpsterfire comments are bit overhype, development is going well right now, MS is allowing Obsidian free license to do as they will, and if it is success or fails it'll be on Obsidian's own terms.

Let me say that I appreciate your bravery in venturing in here, first of all.

Now, why are the people that matter skeptical regarding Avowed? Because...
- The setting of PoE is boring banal garbage
- The writing was sleep inducing
- The ruleset was hot garbage (Musclewizards/Barbarians with PHDs)

If you can fix those things then maybe there's a chance this will actually be good. Maybe. You'll also have to fight against Infinitron's Touch of Death however, good luck with that.

Cross

Arcane
My view is that the environment art is fine
If by "fine" you mean the environments look utterly bland, then sure. Obsidian made a big mistake going with the Pillars setting for their big wannabe triple-A RPG. It's a very dull setting, devoid of any interesting locales or creatures. The "not-D&D" approach they took, combined with Sawyer's worldbuilding idiosyncrasies, also means it lacks the charm of classical high fantasy.

Ryzer

Arcane
The obsidian developer is going to have a wild face-to-face with Feargus today.
Now just an advice for Obsidian, take inspiration upon Gothic on how the story interacts with the world rather than Elder Scrolls. This alone will make your game far better than the average Open-World crap.

Delterius

Arcane
- The ruleset was hot garbage (Musclewizards/Barbarians with PHDs)

If you can fix those things then maybe there's a chance this will actually be good.
From the trailer it looks like Avowed is specifically about playing a default muscle wizard.
and yet a proper skyrim clone would show us a stealth archer run. obsidian has failed yet again

Quillon

Arcane
So why go even more generic look? Why everyone's wearing generic bandit armor variants? Where are the troops of different factions/nations styling their colors(I only saw 1 flag: blue & white with the crown on a... pedestal(?) which I guess is the only faction in The Living Lands lmao). Was Sawya the only reason there was a flag fetish in the setting before?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah they should have gone for more distinctive look and location, I'd be all in for 3D version of White March. When you go for the generic look you put yourself in competition for production quality with the likes of Witcher 3 and good luck with that.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Lets see how it looks when they show us real gameplay and game gets nearer its release date. We found it is not dead and M$ is not meddling in its production so for now I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt that things can turn out nicely.
It is not like anyone has huge expectations. If it mostly plays like Skyrim but has world with more interesting quests and happenings like New Vegas and runs on better engine than Bethesda trash I will be happy.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah they should have gone for more distinctive look and location, I'd be all in for 3D version of White March. When you go for the generic look you put yourself in competition for production quality with the likes of Witcher 3 and good luck with that.
The masses expect plains and forests in fantasy games, but I don't see what's so generic about
ss_0b76436403e828d82205786e1a58da782675599b.1920x1080.jpg

ss_6d06ebad3582ee699e4ef9259358db035ced8031.1920x1080.jpg

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Yeah, they do really look like similar to each other man. Look. 1:1
ss_6d06ebad3582ee699e4ef9259358db035ced8031.1920x1080.jpg

ss_608af6cfe0eab3f37265550b391732a3e88d1a4f.1920x1080.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom