Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting

Cross

Arcane
The Pillars setting might just have the dullest races I've seen in a fantasy RPG. Aumaua are supposed to be fish-like, but they're just blue-skinned humans. Even Bethesda has more unique races, with the Argonian's reptilian appearance and ability to breathe underwater.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
PLease Obsidian, do not release the game, give us all the great furry guides instead. Phew, thank God they know where their priorities lie and all that. Makes me sleep better at night you know.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That pistol looks like it wants to bite someone
maxresdefault.jpg

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
PLease Obsidian, do not release the game, give us all the great furry guides instead. Phew, thank God they know their priorities lie and al that. Makes me sleep better at night you know.
I'm rushing right now to cosplay some character from a game I know nothing about.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They're really putting the cart before the horse here on this one. Bloodlines 2 made the same mistake.

Hagashager

Educated
The Pillars setting might just have the dullest races I've seen in a fantasy RPG. Aumaua are supposed to be fish-like, but they're just blue-skinned humans. Even Bethesda has more unique races, with the Argonian's reptilian appearance and ability to breathe underwater.
It's a real shame really. I want more Enlightenment Era, Age of Sale, fantasy. Pillars had the potential to be cool, but it's clear the nuances of the setting are drowned out by flat art and writing.

Both PoE games simultaneously try way too hard and not hard enough to straddle the thematic lines of the Enlightenment Age. This is a time of profound self-discovery! Technological breakthroughs! Artistic expression! It's also a time of sociopathic racism, colonization, genocide and oppression.

It's like PoE wants to be on either end of that spectrum but just falls flatly in the middle saying so, so little about anything at all.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Is there a game where you play can as various species but have actual gameplay advantages and disadvantages? That are not just tall human, short human, blue human, green human? A few examples of what I'm talking about: a spider race where the members have the native ability to crawl on walls and ceilings, a dragon race where you can switch from walking to flying etc.?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The Elder Scrolls series had meaningful differences between races/species, but even there the greatest physical advantage was that Argonians were able to breathe underwater, a condition that could be replicated via magical effects.

Not sure if there's ever been an RPG where the choice of race/species results in gameplay that is otherwise inaccessible. :M

Hagashager

Educated
The only Elder Scrolls game that made races **noticably** different was Morrowind. Even Daggerfall's races are superficially different. There is very little mechanically to distinguish between a Nord, Breton and Khajiit.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I am self-quoting this with great delight, especially in light of BG3's reception:

Nothing screams "my thinking has calcified sometime around 2003" like the belief that switching your games from isometric to FPP will improve their sales.
I'm sure going first person will make it so much more approachable than the largely unapproachable Deadfire, created by closeted nerd Sawyer.

After ToW, what would be the boundaries of approachability that Obsidian might me aiming at?

Will Avowed be more approachable than BG3 thanks to being first person, or less?

All those questions which there is no one available to ask. Much less answer.

"At least we've got Microsoft to foot the bill" -- someone, somewhere at Obsidian.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
Fantasy settings have never been too ambitious past dragons and ghouls, and fampyr are a good example of even Josh's autism being constrained.
Fampyr could have bee derived form Vampyr, but also from famine. A fampyr could be a creature who ever hungers for flesh and soul.

gabe1010

Arcane
Developer
I played The Outer Worlds again recently to get some idea from a tech perspective what we will be dealing with in Avowed, as by all indicators Avowed will just be medieval/fantasy TOW. The bad stuff everyone remembers, ie mediocre story, cringe writing, laugh-track worthy anti-corporate satire, blah blah...are still there of course. The art style and over saturated colors still look bad (apparently Tim Cain is literally colorblind...), but at it's core the movement, animation, shooting, melee, time dilation and other first person gameplay tech is nice and polished (better than Starfield tbh, although not nearly as good as dedicated AAA FPS games). They may or may not be able to add more engaging first person melee to that (with at least some more detail to the melee, like Mordhau, Chivalry or at least Mount and Blade).

The huge drawback for me still though is the "hub-world" style large levels with loading screens rather than a genuine open world, which basically immediately kills a lot of what was so appealing about Fallout:NV and earlier Bethesda games (StarField has also lost the plot with this, although it's open areas are more open). You just can't get the feeling of genuine exploration and immersion from travel alone where you stumble upon beautiful scenery or POIs in an organic way without an actually open world. While playing TOW, all I ever did was fast travel to quest giver, walk straight to quest location, shoot/rob the MacGuffin, and then fast travel back. Even when you walk between places you have to stay on a road or maybe 1-2 side trails between impassable cliffs, unlike in TES games where you can pretty much go over any hill or mountain or forest. Every time I tried exploring, I ended up at some impassable wall and forced back onto a road, where enemies are distributed at an even density like an MMO. It's just a linear, story driven FPS campaign with RPG elements where you have to occasionally walk between places with nothing to do or see while traveling, and you can kind of pick the order in which some quests are done. I never forgot that I was playing a video game.

In effect, it is a lesser looter shooter rather than a more streamlined open world RPG. It really doesn't feel open world at all, but the non-linearity means it can't benefit from strict storytelling as well as a linear shooter like Halo:CE did. Studios need to commit one way or the other, but they don't because they fail to realize that the advantages of a linear story vs those of an open world game fall along a gradient where the more of one you have, the less of the other you can get. Rather than having the best of both open and linear shooters (exploration + environmental storytelling, and coherent/explicit storytelling with more handcrafted smaller areas) it gets the worst of both worlds (no true sense of exploration, but lesser shooting mechanics and a worse plot). The semi-VATS like Time Dilation kind of splits the difference between VATS and Superhot, but I'd rather just have VATS and go more in on roleplay than player skill dependent shooting.

I don't get how Tim Cain himself could make these mistakes, and I don't understand why Obsidian isn't able to use UE4's open world tools any better than this (that is UE4 world composition, not UE5 world partitioning). Just take a brief look at this sort of UE4 World Composition tutorial video (just skip around):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeJz26M2xn4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQUC0Gejmo4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg0kWxDjLZk

The tech for generating large, realistic looking terrains, distributing realistic foliage and environmental objects around them, and streaming those objects and game world interactables in and out as you come upon them, already existed in UE4 when they made TOW, and even more advanced versions of it exist in UE5 (assuming they bother to upgrade engines, which they may not, but part of my point is that they actually don't need to, although they probably have: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/789317331079135246/971629936928510042/unknown.png). That is, there's really no excuse for doing hubworlds, except perhaps that their foliage artists, modelers, AI programmers etc...aren't able to account for it, but really they ought to be. It's a singleplayer, first person game. There is only one human player with one narrow FOV. It's not like a multiplayer shooter where one human with a sniper rifle could be on each corner of the map zooming in on something far away where the performance challenges would be immense. Breaking a world into sectors of various levels of granularity and streaming stuff in and out while the player moves around is a known quantity. There's just no excuse for how limited TOW is, and how limited Avowed will allegedly be. Even putting lore aside, just the landscape of Morrowind's world was more believable than TOW...

jungl

Augur
idk I have a feeling this may be a fun wrpg. Starblunder and divinity gate 3 missed that mark with their horrible inventory management, redundancy and other bullshit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That is, there's really no excuse for doing hubworlds, except perhaps that their foliage artists, modelers, AI programmers etc...aren't able to account for it, but really they ought to be.
Strongly disagree with this and prefer the Warren Spector approach. https://www.gamedeveloper.com/design/warren-spector-who-forgot-the-role-in-role-playing-games-

I've worked on games in which it takes hours to walk from one side of town to the other. Many popular, award-winning RPGs boast of hundreds of generic towns and randomly generated quests. The shallow simulation of huge environments isn't a good thing. Providing dialogue for scads of NPCs means none of them has anything interesting to say. Creating an entire country means any single building will be devoid of useful objects. It's a matter of time and storage space, and no amount of whack-on-the-side-of-the-head thinking allows you to finesse your way around the problems. Limit the size of your world. Provide several smaller maps. Increase the density of interaction. This accomplishes several goals:
  • Players can explore without searching for something exciting to do. Aimless wandering is the enemy of fun.
  • Developers can populate the world more densely with characters, objects, and quests, and give the illusion of a place with a life of its own.
  • Action can be tailored to player skill. Difficulty can be increased easily as players get deeper into the game.
  • Developers can create more varied locations than in a sprawling world. This last point is critical, and most RPGs do this well. However, most RPGs feature wacky environments straight out of designers' fevered imaginations. It's not asking too much to think in terms of believable, recognizable locations instead of arbitrary game spaces. We should try to acknowledge the conventions of the everyday, even when we create fantasy worlds. In the real world, you can tell you're in a bedroom, as opposed to a bathroom, the instant you enter because of size, placement, and furnishings. More game designers should realize this.
Deep as an ocean, wide as a puddle>Wide as an ocean, shallow as a puddle for me

gabe1010

Arcane
Developer
I've worked on games in which it takes hours to walk from one side of town to the other. Many popular, award-winning RPGs boast of hundreds of generic towns and randomly generated quests. The shallow simulation of huge environments isn't a good thing. Providing dialogue for scads of NPCs means none of them has anything interesting to say. Creating an entire country means any single building will be devoid of useful objects. It's a matter of time and storage space, and no amount of whack-on-the-side-of-the-head thinking allows you to finesse your way around the problems. Limit the size of your world. Provide several smaller maps. Increase the density of interaction. This accomplishes several goals:
The point is that there are things to do/see during the walking, and that it both improves immersion and is enjoyable for it's own sake, rather than just being a walking grind. You engage with the world via signposts, maps, random encounters, scenic vistas, POIs etc...you find along the way. If you want a high density of interactions on a small map(s) only, just save us the trouble altogether and make a linear story campaign. There's nothing wrong with doing that, just commit to it. But, that's not an open world game and does not have the same appeal.

For what it's worth, I don't like randomly generated quests either, but what does that have to do with the open world vs hub world comparison? Morrowind does not have randomly generated quests, but Skyrim and Shadow of Mordor do, and so do lots of non-open world procgen rogue-likes, so it's not tied to being an open world or not.
  • Players can explore without searching for something exciting to do. Aimless wandering is the enemy of fun.
What about aim-ful wandering where you use the terrain, instructions, signs, landmarks and so on to travel from one place to another, getting familiar with the world as you do so? This comment seems like something written by a person who just doesn't like open world games. Notably, Spector worked on NON fully open-world RPGs or Immersive Sims like Deus Ex and Thief. Again, nothing wrong with that, but what's the point in using his opinion on how to design an open world game?
  • Developers can populate the world more densely with characters, objects, and quests, and give the illusion of a place with a life of its own/
Yeah, and you can do that inside a town or dungeon in an open world game, while still having a large map to explore. Does Morrowind not have areas with a density of characters, objects, and quests? There's no illusion of life when I loading-screen travel from place to place in a hub world, but if I walk from Sydan Neen to Balmora and come across rivers and bridges, wildlife and bandits, small towns and farms and mines and so on, there is the illusion of life.
  • Action can be tailored to player skill. Difficulty can be increased easily as players get deeper into the game.
For love of god NO. Are you/Spector really advocating for level scaling? The worst thing about Oblivion, and the best thing to mod-out on any run, is the level scaling. How can I feel like the world is real and immersive when it exists to server me, the player, to such an extent that encounters and loot scale up with me? Holy immersion-breaking, batman. Also, player skill <<<< character traits in an RPG. Tying exploration to player skill rather than character ability makes for an action game, not an RPG.
  • Developers can create more varied locations than in a sprawling world. This last point is critical, and most RPGs do this well. However, most RPGs feature wacky environments straight out of designers' fevered imaginations. It's not asking too much to think in terms of believable, recognizable locations instead of arbitrary game spaces. We should try to acknowledge the conventions of the everyday, even when we create fantasy worlds. In the real world, you can tell you're in a bedroom, as opposed to a bathroom, the instant you enter because of size, placement, and furnishings. More game designers should realize this.
I have no problem with this, but what does it have to do with open vs hub worlds? Skyrim had quite a good take on this, where Norhtern/Scandinavian style biomes are, and feel, real, while having a believable level of environmental variety across mashes, fjords, mountains, arctic ice flows, pine forests, rivers, tundra, etc...plus fantasy dungeons or the occasional trippy, colorful daedric world quest.
Deep as an ocean, wide as a puddle>Wide as an ocean, shallow as a puddle for me
Is The Outer Worlds as deep as an ocean? Where would you put Morrowind, for example, along that spectrum? What is the relationship of width/depth/puddle/ocean to the hub vs open world comparison? Morrowind is deep and TOW is shallow, so where does that leave us?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there a game where you play can as various species but have actual gameplay advantages and disadvantages? That are not just tall human, short human, blue human, green human? A few examples of what I'm talking about: a spider race where the members have the native ability to crawl on walls and ceilings, a dragon race where you can switch from walking to flying etc.?
BG3

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you want a high density of interactions on a small map(s) only, just save us the trouble altogether and make a linear story campaign.

Having an all-or-nothing attitude about this is bizarre. No one would want a linear Fallout.

Are you/Spector really advocating for level scaling?

No, it's about having a better-balanced difficulty curve.

Is The Outer Worlds as deep as an ocean? Where would you put Morrowind, for example, along that spectrum? What is the relationship of width/depth/puddle/ocean to the hub vs open world comparison? Morrowind is deep and TOW is shallow, so where does that leave us?

I haven't played TOW yet but it seems to be deeper in ways that Morrowind isn't, different focuses. I would not describe Morrowind's encyclopedia NPCs as deep for example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom