Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bad News: Chaos Chronicles development on hold due to legal trouble with bitComposer

Cynic

Arcane
I too found that very odd, but I don't see how it would be relevant. Sure, everyone here shits on bitcomposer here, but I doubt it has anything to do with the current situation.

I still have no idea why they didn't run their own forums, though. It even makes the Codex seem a little tacky.

Well, hosting your forums at a place as...how shall we say..."open minded" as the Codex could be seen as very bad for a corporate company (shitcomposer). If they are funding the game, and the game is hosted on a forum where, at times, fairly extreme views are given, it could be seen that they support those views. I'm not saying that this is what has happened but it's really not outside the realm of possibility that alongside the tax payer funds the game got, hosting the forums at a place which openly spouts catch phrases like "jewgold" and "niggers gonna nig" may not have been the brightest idea.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Perhaps. But they could completely move the forum in less than a week. And we could keep the secret :smug:

It seems rather unlikely to me that the hosting of the forums at rpgcodex and the 'legal troubles/development stop' are interwinded, as the the only sections that are really filled with the offensive behaviour are non-gaming related. It's most likely a money/project management issue that caused it, but we can't be sure and might probably never know. Let's just blame Capitalism and incompetence, can't go wrong with that, right? Ahh well, I still have some hope left that the game could get released. Maybe. It probably won't. But it might... Fuck this shit

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
It seems rather unlikely to me that the hosting of the forums at rpgcodex and the 'legal troubles/development stop' are interwinded, as the the only sections that are really filled with the offensive behaviour are non-gaming related.

It's certainly not the reason, but my gut feeling is that neither did Coreplay ask bitcomposer nor did they think about the consequences. If someone at bitcomposer already held a grudge against the project, they were handing it on a silver platter.

My feeling is also that Coreplay were simply too bro both in public relations and adding better features. IIRC they eventually added co-operative multiplayer to the list, amidst many other things that were easier said than done. All this with expected sales at best a bit above average. Such an ambitious game could never go through with publishers in 2013, and it's a miracle they got this far.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
coreplay_team_01-e1346856606181.jpg

:(

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
It seems rather unlikely to me that the hosting of the forums at rpgcodex and the 'legal troubles/development stop' are interwinded, as the the only sections that are really filled with the offensive behaviour are non-gaming related.

It's certainly not the reason, but my gut feeling is that neither did Coreplay ask bitcomposer nor did they think about the consequences. If someone at bitcomposer already held a grudge against the project, they were handing it on a silver platter.

My feeling is also that Coreplay were simply too bro both in public relations and adding better features. IIRC they eventually added co-operative multiplayer to the list, amidst many other things that were easier said than done. All this with expected sales at best a bit above average. Such an ambitious game could never go through with publishers in 2013, and it's a miracle they got this far.
They choose to cancel the multi feature longtime ago

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
No worries dudes and dudettes, we began hosting their forums in April, months after bitcomposer pulled the plug and stopped payments. It's not the Codex' fault, promise.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This sounds like the perfect job for kickstarter
They either don't own the code or the ownership is up in the air. SOunds like a perfect way to get sued to hell.

No worries dudes and dudettes, we began hosting their forums in April, months after bitcomposer pulled the plug and stopped payments. It's not the Codex' fault, promise.
So we can't take credit for this to scare other devs? Pity.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
One can only hope there is a way to extricate the code from bitcomposer.
After all there is money from a public German fund involved and perhaps bitcomposer doesn't want to lose face and lose such sources of income. Perhaps.

Jashiin

Arcane
If bitcomposer decide to fund it or allow a preorder/kickstarter so it can be finished and finished properly, I'll even give them money to show my support for coreplay.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong

He who excuses, accuses himself.
And it goes without saying that the Codex is always guilty. :balance:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
This sounds like the perfect job for kickstarter
They either don't own the code or the ownership is up in the air. SOunds like a perfect way to get sued to hell.
Or maybe a kickstarter with bitcomposer support. Maybe this is all a clever marketing ruse. Development stopped around the same time FullControl got the Jagged Alliance license from bitcomposer for their kickstarter. :tinfoilhat:

Stabwound

Arcane
All in all, this is bad news all around. I should have known this game was too good to be true.
If they pulled the plug on the game before April, that sounds even worse than I thought. It would be nice to at least get an indication of whether this game is dead in the water or has hope yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom