Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bad News: Chaos Chronicles development on hold due to legal trouble with bitComposer

goo golem

Educated
This is just depressing.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
"The first casualty of War is Truth"

During a 5 hours meeting, we've discussed and negotiated every detail of a final agreement between bitComposer and Coreplay for realizing a completion of Chaos Chronicles.
We wrote all those terms and conditions into a contract and at the end of this meeting day, both parties agreed to those terms.
Unfortunately (and surprisingly) bitComposer rejected to sign this agreement on this day because they still wanted to clarify an open issue regarding the tax. But before leaving our office, they've promised us to check this issue as soon as possible to make a final signment possible in the next days.

This was two month ago and we haven't heard back from them since then.

In their recent statement to the petition, they mentioned a meeting last week (24th July). But they did not mention the fact that they already announced not to sign anything in that meeting. That's why we haven't attend it, because we don't have time for this 'play for time' bullshit anymore.

And for the records: the main reason for this dispute was the controversy about an early release of Chaos Chronicles in March 2013. A release at this time would have led to horrible consequences for the game regarding its quality, content and stability.
Since bitComposer rejected to invest more money into our game, we had to get the money elsewhere. Throwing an unfinished and crappy game on the market was no option for us and that's why we had no other choice than borrowing money from third parties to continue the development and completion of our game. We wanted to release this particular game as it was intended, because otherwise we wouldn't get a second chance to create such a game again.

At some point, you have to fight for your creative work, no matter what financial and legal consequences it could cause. Otherwise you would give up your work and all dreams you had.

And before we release a game like 'Citadels' (which was definitely released before its completion), we prefer not release a game at all.

Stabwound

Arcane
"The first casualty of War is Truth"

During a 5 hours meeting, we've discussed and negotiated every detail of a final agreement between bitComposer and Coreplay for realizing a completion of Chaos Chronicles.
We wrote all those terms and conditions into a contract and at the end of this meeting day, both parties agreed to those terms.
Unfortunately (and surprisingly) bitComposer rejected to sign this agreement on this day because they still wanted to clarify an open issue regarding the tax. But before leaving our office, they've promised us to check this issue as soon as possible to make a final signment possible in the next days.

This was two month ago and we haven't heard back from them since then.

In their recent statement to the petition, they mentioned a meeting last week (24th July). But they did not mention the fact that they already announced not to sign anything in that meeting. That's why we haven't attend it, because we don't have time for this 'play for time' bullshit anymore.

And for the records: the main reason for this dispute was the controversy about an early release of Chaos Chronicles in March 2013. A release at this time would have led to horrible consequences for the game regarding its quality, content and stability.
Since bitComposer rejected to invest more money into our game, we had to get the money elsewhere. Throwing an unfinished and crappy game on the market was no option for us and that's why we had no other choice than borrowing money from third parties to continue the development and completion of our game. We wanted to release this particular game as it was intended, because otherwise we wouldn't get a second chance to create such a game again.

At some point, you have to fight for your creative work, no matter what financial and legal consequences it could cause. Otherwise you would give up your work and all dreams you had.

And before we release a game like 'Citadels' (which was released way before its completion), we prefer not release a game at all.
If this is true, I can only brofist you. You have my respect here, and I really hope there is some way this game will see the light of day, some day.

:bro:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
HobGoblin42 said:

Excuse me Hob, but please correct me if I got any of this wrong. I am trying to understand completely what you're saying here:

You make a deal with bitComposer. They give you an amount of money, and for that amount of money, you promise to make a game. You then run out of said money, they demand you release the game, and you refuse.

Is that correct? While I admire your determination to get this game finished properly (I'd like to play that game!), what you're saying here is that you broke the deal with bC? I find it a bit difficult to be mad at someone for not paying more money than they promised. They're not a charity.

EDIT: Or did bC not pay you what they promised and therefore demanded early release? Or what?

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Excuse me Hob, but please correct me if I got any of this wrong. I am trying to understand completely what you're saying here:

You make a deal with bitComposer. They give you an amount of money, and for that amount of money, you promise to make a game. You then run out of said money, they demand you release the game, and you refuse.

Is that correct? While I admire your determination to get this game finished properly (I'd like to play that game!), what you're saying here is that you broke the deal with bC?

No, it's not. And it's far more complicated. First: the game didn't start a this scope, second: our previous project plays a role in that disaster. But the situation became finally worst when bitComposer stopped their payments (milestone payments of the original, agreed development budget).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Is that correct? While I admire your determination to get this game finished properly (I'd like to play that game!), what you're saying here is that you broke the deal with bC?

No, it's not. And it's far more complicated. First: the game didn't start a this scope, second: our previous project plays a role in that disaster. But the situation became finally worst when bitComposer stopped their payments (milestone payments of the original, agreed development budget).

Ah, I see. Thanks!

So:

1) Who decided to increase the scope? Did bC agree to that?

2) Surely everyone agreed that an increase a scope would mean an increase in budget. Was this ever discussed?

3) Jagged Alliance played a role? How?

4) So they stopped the funds because they believed you hadn't reached a milestone, while you hold that you did?

It seems like quite the complicated affair, just trying to get the facts straight.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
It seems like quite the complicated affair, just trying to get the facts straight.

Yes, indeed it is. And possibly I will answer your questions in a post mortem some day. But for now, I have to take care about our new project.

Jashiin

Arcane
New project. :(

Wake us up when it's in the store please and not a minute sooner.

Monty

Arcane
:mad: Was looking forward to this.

Perhaps In 10 years time this will produce a decent 'Sirtech thread'.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Diablo169

Arcane
If you work with a publisher you jump through the hoops they lay out for you. You can't afford pride or Doublefine pie in the sky self indulgence when you are playing with someone else's money. Never mind a government grant.

Sad to see this wont be released, but I wont start shouting evil publisher in this case either. Seems like there's plenty shenanigans on both sides.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Yes, indeed it is. And possibly I will answer your questions in a post mortem some day. But for now, I have to take care about our new project.

Hopefully that new project combines (the) traditional turn-based roleplaying games with a state-of-the-art graphic engine and a dense atmosphere.

Jashiin

Arcane
May shitcomposer burn in hell. Such a long list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom