Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

imweasel

Apparently not very many have actually bought the collector's edition. They are still begging for people to buy it on Twitter. These are their last 4 tweets:

"Plz buy collectarz edishun. Need moneez. Plz plz plz."

Fairfax

Arcane
Carl's still mad at us.

What's the deal with this Lords of Xulima modder? I stay away from blobber threads.

Found Darkest Dungeon thread, good god. 30 pages and he's on all of them.

What thread?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
This game is nowhere near incline. Not counting the tranny, stoned dialogue or Minsc random quote.

lefthandblack

Arcane
This is the most fun I've had with Baldur's Gate ever. The shitstorm, not the game. Reap what you sow motherfuckers.

Here's an idea, someone should make a mod where the party helps that particular NPC realize that he has been deceived by an evil wizard who has stolen his manhood in both a physical and metaphysical sense. That NPC's personal quest would now revolve around recovering his manhood and exacting vengeance on the wizard.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The mixed reviews on Steam had a huge part in SCL's death. Personally, I'm hesitant as hell to ever pick up something that's less than "Mostly positive". Sometimes if I'm on the fence I browse the reviews to see if it's just console casualness or actual real life issues.

I doubt most steam tards give it even that much thought.

Funnily enough, Steam games rarely seem to get downrated merely for being difficult. There are plenty of genuinely difficult games with 90%+ Steam reviews.

It's odd to say so, but to a certain extent, I trust Steam reviews. If a game's flat-out bad, ridiculously buggy, has FPS lock/poor controls, has additional obnoxious DRM, is a poor port, if it's an abandoned Early Access title, if the developers went full retard/sold out/introduced sudden pay-to-win, et cetera, it will nearly always get smashed by Steam reviews.

Of course, shamelessly casual games, visual novels, and cutesy animu date 'n' molest sims will also get glowing reviews, but if anything that's a endorsement of impartiality. I don't like those games, but that's a matter of taste.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This is so hilariously stupid.

It isn't like devs of ye olde days didn't inject politics and personal beliefs in games, but at least they did it with fucking subtlety. Google the word up, Tumblerinas.

I also love it how in a fukken' role-playing game the writers give zero options to actually react to this shocking turn of events. Where is the disgust option? The option to make a joke about it? No, just a single: "Thank xee xir. Praise to the diversity!". Doesn't matter if you are chaotic evil anti-paladin of the god of murder.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
The icing on the cake is the smugness of the writers (or at least one of them). How they are going to "fix" the game, purge "sexist" and "racist" stuff and so on, but on the other hand you have this "dank mey meys", the "isn't that a strange name IN A FANTASY WORLD?" and dialogue like that of the stoners. You wanted to show you are better writer than the previous ones? You failed horribly. This is mod level writing.

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
With Minsc's "Really, it's all about the ethics in heroic adventuring" random line, is this part of the 2.0 patch or is it part of the expansion? If it's part of the patch, then the original game has been ruined without having bought the expansion. :lol: I don't have him in my party to check as I have Edwin and killed Dynaheir.

Fry

Arcane
Doesn't matter if you are chaotic evil anti-paladin of the god of murder.

south-park-s04e10c11-trying-hard-but-limp-16x9.jpg

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
STEPHANIE: Jake... I'm transgender.
JAKE: Could that wait for later? This REALLY isn't the right mome-
STEPHANIE: But you asked "what kind of name is Stephanie?", didn't you?! I just wanted to clarify.
JAKE: For the love of Helm! This isn't the RIGHT moment! I don't care if your name is Steven or Stephanie. Roger is getting eaten by a troll and if you don't help princess, instead of your "I'm this and that" talk, he will be dead, with no wife to grieve for him!
ROGER: Actually, I'm gay. *crunch*
DM: Guys... I think we should take a brake...

ArchAngel

Arcane
That said, maybe the stoner reference is a bit more ham-fisted than usual, but anyone thinking this is sacrilege upon the original game needs to check their nostalgia glasses.

Nobody is saying BG1 was well written.

I think the biggest question is.. when Beam dog is shilling out on Twitch talking about how amazing this games story is gonna be and how they aren't finished cleaning up BG1 and BG2.. BUT THIS STORY.. IS GOOD..
(They literally said that)..

People have to wonder.. is -this- what Beam dog meant..? and what's next?
Do they think this is good writing?

Anyone who is defending BG1 writing should stop now.
Although.. BG1 was -at least- always playful in spirit.. SoD is a vindictive hate fuck.
You really are a tryhard. And you don't mind not making any sense at all.
Oh and don't forget to wipe all the spit from your screaming random bullshit.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition will be expanded to include the classic versions – each becoming the Definitive Edition Bundle and not available for purchase separately.

Fuck.
oh well, if I actually cared about Icewind Dale I would have bought it earlier.
Now it's too late.

Fry

Arcane
They haven't been bundled yet. Buy now if you want it.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
"If there was something for the original Baldur’s Gate that just doesn’t mesh for modern day gamers like the sexism, [we tried to address that],” said writer Amber Scott. “In the original there’s a lot of jokes at women’s expense. Or if not a lot, there’s a couple, like Safana was just a sex object in BG 1, and Jaheira was the nagging wife and that was played for comedy. We were able to say, ‘No, that’s not really the kind of story we want to make.’ In Siege of Dragonspear, Safana gets her own little storyline, she got a way better personality upgrade. If people don’t like that, then too bad."

So apparently the dykes at beamdog lobotomised Safana because she was sexy and that's haram. I assume she spews feminist catchphrases instead.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Hi everyone. I usually spend most of my time lurking here, but I'd like to ask a favour. It appears that having a transgendered cleric and a joke line by Minsc has greatly offended the sensibilities of some people. This has spurred these people into action, causing them to decide this is the worst game of all time and give it a zero review score on Steam, GoG and meta critic. Now, I'd like to ask for that favour. If you are playing the game and having a good time, please consider posting a positive review to balance out the loud minority which is currently painting a dark picture for new players.

Thank you.
-Trent

http://archive.is/AepjD#selection-2049.1-2055.6

:lol:

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
In the third chapter of the game now. Will write some more impressions once I've finished it. Few comments about the game and the SJW.

First, the game. You're back at Baldur's Gate- For many who like the orignal games this will give a heap of nostalgia points in the same a lot of people react when they hear the Star Wars theme music, and it takes a long while to realize those prequel movies were crap. Is it the same with SoD? Too early to say for sure, however, I have enjoyed the game for nothing else than being back in that world. Some side quests so far have been nice as well, however, the only really engaging "new" thing so far has been the voice-acted "return" of the main antagonist (you-know-who) from BG2.

The combat is BG1 combat - nothing more to say about that although some of the encounters are just a huge heap of undead coming at you, which is not particularly good design. I personally like loading up the infinity engine every now and again. Some battles have been incredibly easy, some have actually required me to buff up my party members and think about positioning (I'm playing a 4-member custom party imported from BG1 on core rules). Not a single really tough fight so far, but someone on here wrote that it gets more challenging on Insane/Legacy of Bhaal. I've Had one random encounter so far, and that was actually a unique one and nicely done, with the map being non-generic and coming with a nice surprise. Will write more about the game once it's completed.

Also found some bugs in the game - e.g. recruiting a NPC, taking their stuff then kicking them out but then rectruiting them again in the next chapter - hocus pocus they have another set of their gear for me to plunder. Something seems wrong with the quest journal as well, as it sometimes updates with three identical entries for a particular quest when initiated or when progress is made. This is actually more than a bit irritating as it makes you wonder whether you have broken the quest by doing something the devs did not intend, and if it will break the game progression later.

About the SJW - SMALL SPOILERS AHEAD WARNING.

Whoa, the shit storm. :D I personally don't like to see other peoples agenda pushed into a video game this forcefully, especially when it does not fit the original game for which it is an expansion. There first thing that happens is that there is a refugee crisis in Baldur's Gate. Of course, that has absolutely nothing to do with the current refugee crisis in Europe, right? So you talk to guards and have the option of telling them to be more inclusive and treat the refugees nice and all that, while they are causing a ruckus in the street. That immediately felt like in-your-face social social commentary right there - I was more than a bit surprised. It doesn't have to do with the situation itself, but the writing and how the issue is presented. Then you enter sorcerous sundries, where a lot of refugees are queuing for potions. Halbazzer the poor guy has a hard time with all the refugees inside who all want their potions - another typical social commentary situation, which just feels so out of place and in your face because the writing is too direct.

Then, it turns out my money has been stolen, and ended up among a group of refugees that I meet in a tavern, who have distributed it to all the other refugees in town, and they ask me that don't I think they need the money more than I do? More social commentary, right in my face, just to make sure that I am subjected to the Right Opinions. The group asked me to show compassion and understanding - I showed them Spider's Bane.

Then we have Mizhena, whose dialogue is completely out of place.. And in this case there is no option to get back at her, put you have to accept it, which is contra to almost every other situation in the games - so you can't help but notice it. If you kill her no one cares, but she shows up again in the next chapter even if you do (this probably a bug). She has nice stuff, btw.

Thing is - I understand very well that people who are outside of what is traditionally considered "normal" must have a freaking hard time even in the western world, and if you are poor and/or have lost everything you have, including your family, in a war or disaster and become a refugee then yes, you will have psychological trauma and face a huge uphill struggle in life and that sucks, and is an issue that needs to be solved. But I already have to consider all these issues during my job, when I read the news, when I talk with friends and relatives etc. In SoD I feel like I'm being lectured to, and that is what bothers me the most. If they wanted to social comment, give me better writing with actual suggestions of solution-paths and a more in-depth presentation of all the issues that are involved. The CRPG setting would allow you to do that really nicely if you made the effort. Don't make it so black and white and insulting to my intelligence when the issues are much more complex. I am enjoying taking the Infinity Engine for another spin, but I'm constantly bothered by the fact that there is probably more politics up ahead delivered in a very shallow and lecturing tone, and this is seriously immersion breaking and thus hampers my enjoyment of the game.

Zetor

Arcane
Okay, so apparently the writing is shit.. no real surprise there to anyone who played the EEs before, I'm sure. I just started playing BG1 EE with an evil party, and the dialogues of both Dorn and Neera have been between 'mediocre' and 'kinda terrible' so far, so I just skim them and choose a neutral dialog option each time. I have a feeling that choosing the "wrong" dialog option gets them to leave, and I don't want to lose my second tank at least. Neera will probably get dumped for that overpowered sorcerer dude at one point, though.

But I gotta echo the questions made by Morkar a few pages back: how is the actual content of the expansion, especially the improved AI and how does it compare to SCS? Has anyone run into game-breaking (or really annoying) bugs other than the character/item import process being fucked up? I get that the campaign is super-linear, but how do the encounters stack up to stuff like late Durlag's Tower and early SoA? Is the expansion good enough to buy once the bugs have been fixed (assuming the player skims or speedreads through the bad writing), or is it 75% sale material? etc etc.

edit: heh, while I was writing this some actual impressions were posted -- thanks for the info about encounters and whatnot!

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
The icing on the cake is the smugness of the writers (or at least one of them). How they are going to "fix" the game, purge "sexist" and "racist" stuff and so on, but on the other hand you have this "dank mey meys", the "isn't that a strange name IN A FANTASY WORLD?" and dialogue like that of the stoners. You wanted to show you are better writer than the previous ones? You failed horribly. This is mod level writing.
Hey now, let's not be too harsh. Some mods are written pretty well.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Hey now, let's not be too harsh. Some mods are written pretty well.

"Mod's expected level of writing."

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
lol :D an entertaining thread to make the monday morning a bit less dreary and boring

So apparently this Amber person is the worst employee you could hire. Doesnt give a flying fuck about customers ("if they dont like it too bad") and insists on injecting her SJW poison in everything she does. Not worried about creating a quality product that actually sells but mainly concerned about pushing an agenda. Perhaps the Ghostbusters debacle was the beginning of a trend, where SJW influenced products commercially fail, totally. In a (still) capitalist world that should be the end of it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
About the SJW - SMALL SPOILERS AHEAD WARNING.

Whoa, the shit storm. :D I personally don't like to see other peoples agenda pushed into a video game this forcefully, especially when it does not fit the original game for which it is an expansion. There first thing that happens is that there is a refugee crisis in Baldur's Gate. Of course, that has absolutely nothing to do with the current refugee crisis in Europe, right? So you talk to guards and have the option of telling them to be more inclusive and treat the refugees nice and all that, while they are causing a ruckus in the street. That immediately felt like in-your-face social social commentary right there - I was more than a bit surprised. It doesn't have to do with the situation itself, but the writing and how the issue is presented. Then you enter sorcerous sundries, where a lot of refugees are queuing for potions. Halbazzer the poor guy has a hard time with all the refugees inside who all want their potions - another typical social commentary situation, which just feels so out of place and in your face because the writing is too direct.

Then, it turns out my money has been stolen, and ended up among a group of refugees that I meet in a tavern, who have distributed it to all the other refugees in town, and they ask me that don't I think they need the money more than I do? More social commentary, right in my face, just to make sure that I am subjected to the Right Opinions. The group asked me to show compassion and understanding - I showed them Spider's Bane.

Then we have Mizhena, whose dialogue is completely out of place.. And in this case there is no option to get back at her, put you have to accept it, which is contra to almost every other situation in the games - so you can't help but notice it. If you kill her no one cares, but she shows up again in the next chapter even if you do (this probably a bug). She has nice stuff, btw.

Thing is - I understand very well that people who are outside of what is traditionally considered "normal" must have a freaking hard time even in the western world, and if you are poor and/or have lost everything you have, including your family, in a war or disaster and become a refugee then yes, you will have psychological trauma and face a huge uphill struggle in life and that sucks, and is an issue that needs to be solved. But I already have to consider all these issues during my job, when I read the news, when I talk with friends and relatives etc. In SoD I feel like I'm being lectured to, and that is what bothers me the most. If they wanted to social comment, give me better writing with actual suggestions of solution-paths and a more in-depth presentation of all the issues that are involved. The CRPG setting would allow you to do that really nicely if you made the effort. Don't make it so black and white and insulting to my intelligence when the issues are much more complex. I am enjoying taking the Infinity Engine for another spin, but I'm constantly bothered by the fact that there is probably more politics up ahead delivered in a very shallow and lecturing tone, and this is seriously immersion breaking and thus hampers my enjoyment of the game.
If I remember well in all these situations you can abuse the refugees a lot. There are a couple of minor quests around them and you can be evil or a jerk to them. It is not a social commentary if you are allowed to do different then expected.

Reinhardt

Arcane
So, from what i've read, it's buggy, but decent icewinddale-style adventure. sinked by terrible SJW "writer", right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom