Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Cringe 3 compilation thread

Iucounu

Educated
I wonder what normies playing this have played before if bloated game is mind-blowing to them. Probably only mobile games.
It may help the user reviews if anyone openly objecting to the degeneracy gets their review deleted. Not sure if their review score is still counted in that case though?

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Developers are butthurt that people aren't wallowing in degeneracy

I wouldn't fuck Shadowheart even if I was under a Geas or Compulsion to do so.
Ok, maybe if I get a bit drunk at a tavern.

989.jpg

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
Yoooo, anyone remember Baldur's Gate?

Damn, they really went full Netflix.

How can you even stomach that narrator?

It had to be a girl narrator just in case anyone forgot that women can read too and that was pretty much the only consideration made because this company obviously doesn't care about building a strong atmosphere

Eisenheinrich

Scholar

It had to be a girl narrator just in case anyone forgot that women can read too and that was pretty much the only consideration made because this company obviously doesn't care about building a strong atmosphere

She's perfectly fine doing that. If you need that male voice to get your juices flowing, your're probably a faggot.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron

She's perfectly fine doing that. If you need that male voice to get your juices flowing, your're probably a faggot.

Tone is wrong, ruins the atmosphere. Her voice would be better suited for a fairy tale.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Tone is wrong, ruins the atmosphere. Her voice would be better suited for a fairy tale.

Best narrator was Kevin Michael Richardson (Sarevok himself) in Baldur's Gate 1.
Baldur's Gate 2 and TOB also had a pretty good narrator (can't remember the name of the voice actor).

Eisenheinrich

Scholar

Best narrator was Kevin Michael Richardson (Sarevok himself) in Baldur's Gate 1.
Baldur's Gate 2 and TOB also had a pretty good narrator (can't remember the name of the voice actor).

Yeah, they were pretty strong and mystery invoking, I agree.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Help me understand.
How is Shadowheart a cleric of Shar? You know, an evil deity? What alignment does she fit in?

Erebus

Arcane
What the hell guys. We gave you demon eyes, horns, and even tails. We are sorely disappointed. Go crazy. We worked hard on this !

This is what's wrong, not just with this game, but with modern D&D in general.

In a setting like Planescape, making weirdness commonplace can work. In settings like the Forgotten Realms, it absolutely doesn't.

Also, while being able to give your PC weird eyes, horns or a tail might have seemed cool 15 years ago, it really seems quite banal nowadays. No wonder people prefer to make their PC a normal human.

Gargaune

Arcane
David Ogden Stiers in Icewind Dale.
The best narrator was the guy who did the Disciples 2 mission briefings:

Honourary mention for the lady who voiced the Drakan cinematic:

agris

Arcane
Patron
What the hell guys. We gave you demon eyes, horns, and even tails. We are sorely disappointed. Go crazy. We worked hard on this !

In a setting like Planescape, making weirdness commonplace can work. In settings like the Forgotten Realms, it absolutely doesn't.

Also, while being able to give your PC weird eyes, horns or a tail might have seemed cool 15 years ago, it really seems quite banal nowadays. No wonder people prefer to make their PC a normal human.
This has been a problem since 3E. When everyone can be anything, including a warlock Druid sorcerer barbarian, nothing is special.

It’s like when painting, mix too many colors and you just end up with brown. 3E, 4E, and now 5E are AD&D’s “brown period”, and BG3 is it’s magnum opus.

consgay

Barely Literate

I'm glad I'm not alone in that. I think a narrator was unnecessary, let alone a voiced one. But it might have been an innocuous addition if done right.

But they didn't do it right. Every time I'm watching gameplay footage and I hear the narrator, I get find myself irritated. Her cadence of speech and the way she drags out certain words come together with some other quirks for a bad impression - I feel like I'm being condescended to.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy

This has been a problem since 3E. When everyone can be anything, including a warlock Druid sorcerer barbarian, nothing is special.

It’s like when painting, mix too many colors and you just end up with brown. 3E, 4E, and now 5E are AD&D’s “brown period”, and BG3 is it’s magnum opus.
I had to think of Warhammer Fantasy RP which also has a ton of "classes" but instead of a Dragonborn Celestial-Blooded Sorcerer/Ranger/Paladin you can be a Halfling Dung Shoveler/Gravedigger/Leper

Mauman

Scholar

I personally think that the narrator (Kelemvor) in Mask was better. Not saying KMR was bad or anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom