Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Cringe 3 compilation thread

lightbane

Arcane
I'm surprised this thread wasn't moved to Gaming Drama as the typical damage control maneuver for freshly released games, lest potential buyers get scared.

1691674220197892.png
>I just want a friend, not a gay relationship.
Don't that just say it all?

ZAX

Barely Literate
Torrent'ed the GOG version. Couldn't enjoy it and eventually deleted after half an hour. Crazy camera focus and movement, cringe dialogs, unusable UI. Started the Icewind Dale 1.

That's a wide problem with modern games. I commented on it in other threads here before. The combination of romantic options and gay companions has destroyed friendship in RPGs. Which kinda sucks, I've yet to see a good romantic companion arc in a game, but friendship ones used to be great.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
That's a wide problem with modern games. I commented on it in other threads here before. The combination of romantic options and gay companions has destroyed friendship in RPGs. Which kinda sucks, I've yet to see a good romantic companion arc in a game, but friendship ones used to be great.
To "those people" every show of affection between two people MUST mean sexual tension, ESPECIALLY between the same sex. Coombrains ruined writing.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Romances also push the dialog to become an endless therapy session and because every companion must have a dark secret/insecurities healed by the power of love, so on BG 3, of course, you are basically a psychologist that bang everyone of your weirdo clients.

It is like Thai massage but instead of the happy ending, you get a horny gay bear if you raise your approval rating too much.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Zoomers who have issues with authority wrote the companions, and it really shows.

>Super special character

>Abusive authority figure

>Repeat six times because that's not boring at all

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
I'm surprised this thread wasn't moved to Gaming Drama as the typical damage control maneuver for freshly released games, lest potential buyers get scared.

Right, because potential buyers first source for information is the codex. :lol:

"Hey, there's this new game out. I wanna check out how it is. I ignore all the youtube videos and head straight to that old ass message board that smells like fart. Let's see what their monocled takes are:"

"Nigger nigger tranny tranny faggot faggot muh western civilization is doomed. I gonna dooooom."

That's how games always fail financially. Because "potential buyers" go here for advice.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Right, because potential buyers first source for information is the codex. :lol:

"Hey, there's this new game out. I wanna check out how it is. I ignore all the youtube videos and head straitgh to that old ass message board. Let's see what their monocled takes are:"

"Nigger nigger faggot faggot muh western civilization is doomed. I gonna dooooom."

That's how games always fail financially. Because "potential buyers" go here for advice.

It's hilarious that you put me on ignore when you're basically a zoomer retard. I guess you got tired of being treated like you treat others.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy

"Hey, there's this new game out. I wanna check out how it is. I ignore all the youtube videos and head straight to that old ass message board. Let's see what their monocled takes are:"

"Nigger nigger faggot faggot muh western civilization is doomed. I gonna dooooom."

You clearly don't know how our Beneficent Hebrew Overlord acts.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar

"Hey, there's this new game out. I wanna check out how it is. I ignore all the youtube videos and head straight to that old ass message board. Let's see what their monocled takes are:"

You clearly don't know how our Beneficent Hebrew Overlord acts.
I waited all my live for an aryan Übermensch specimen like you to enlighten me about said topic. Can't wait. :bounce:

consgay

Barely Literate
Romances also push the dialog to become an endless therapy session and because every companion must have a dark secret/insecurities healed by the power of love, so on BG 3, of course, you are basically a psychologist that bang everyone of your weirdo clients.

It is like Thai massage but instead of the happy ending, you get a horny gay bear if you raise your approval rating too much.

This hits the nail on the head.

RPG romance arcs should be consequential optional story beats that reveal something about the world, raise the stakes of the narrative, and help the player in their role-play. They should be intended to help the player define their character and have some consequences.

That's a completely different ethos to what seems to be at play with BG3, which seems to treat picking romance arcs as a candy store. No context or purpose beyond the fucking, designed for the sake of novelty and titillation. It's a junk food approach to writing.

Longes

Augur

I dunno fellas. I rejected Astarion's sexual advances, pushed him to become worse every time he opened up with some insecurity, and now we are cool bros swearing eternal partnership to take over the world. Gay vampire is by far the best bro in the game.

Steedless

Novice
This is every bit as bad as anything Bioware has ever done, if not worse.
Companion relationships in BG3 are awful and worse than any BioWare game I've played.
Partly because the companions themselves are awful, but also because they want to jump in your pants no matter what, even if you barely know them.
How I'd describe every BG3 companion: A horny annoying asshole.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Romances don't automatically push the dialog to be that.

Only badly written ones do. Modern cringe writers have no idea how to write a normal romance in the context of an adventure story. Countless adventure stories have romances, not one of them includes extended scenes of talking about emotions and issues.

Silverfish

Arbiter
"Hey, there's this new game out. I wanna check out how it is. I ignore all the youtube videos and head straight to that old ass message board that smells like fart. Let's see what their monocled takes are:"

"Nigger nigger tranny tranny faggot faggot muh western civilization is doomed. I gonna dooooom."

gigachad.jpg

Iucounu

Educated
To "those people" every show of affection between two people MUST mean sexual tension, ESPECIALLY between the same sex. Coombrains ruined writing.
It's also prejudiced against Asexuals (the "A" in "LGBTQIA+")...

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
My gut thought was "they should put more of those in games instead" but then I thought about it and you'd have to listen to them drone on and "educate" you about asexuality and tell you all about their asexual backstory and they'd chime in with asexual puns/jokes/observations all the time which would be just as insufferable.

Iucounu

Educated
My gut thought was "they should put more of those in games instead" but then I thought about it and you'd have to listen to them drone on and "educate" you about asexuality and tell you all about their asexual backstory and they'd chime in with asexual puns/jokes/observations all the time which would be just as insufferable.
You're absolutely right.

Ideally they would fight with each other at the game development studios so much that they all got fired before even writing a word. Divide and conquer. Why do the Asexuals put up with modern games? Are they oppressed?

goregasm

Scholar
I mean, I came here to check what the codex thought of BG3, Wrath, and Black Geyser, because I hate niglets and trannys, I figure I will get an honest take from esteemed folks such as these.

I am pleased to have avoided BG 3 and Wrath judging by the videos I have seen thus far.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Romances don't automatically push the dialog to be that.

Only badly written ones do. Modern cringe writers have no idea how to write a normal romance in the context of an adventure story. Countless adventure stories have romances, not one of them includes extended scenes of talking about emotions and issues.
Take a look at any of the sword and sorcery or more pulp scifi serials, specifically Conan and John Carter. They're basically all romances for men.

It's hilarious how the archtypical male fantasies often has better written female characters.

Let's look at the fairer sex in the cast of BG3:

Karlarch - strong independent demon lady who don't need no devil lord
Lae'zel - strong independent gith lady who has a trash storyline and is an absolute bitch 100% of the game unless you do her bidding
Shadowheart - actually alright, but has a really lame and generic backstory, to couple with a nondescript personality
Jaheira - senile old woman
Orin - insane murderhobo
Lesbian couple - their entire purpose is there just to represent lesbians. Also one is literally a mcguffin and after that she ceases to be any importance to the plot, lol! Who wrote this?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Take a look at any of the sword and sorcery or more pulp scifi serials, specifically Conan and John Carter. They're basically all romances for men.
Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to with "normal romance in the context of an adventure story".

The pulps were peak writing and more people need to realize this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom