Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 1&2 for the first time in ages. BGT or not?

miles teg

Scholar
Well I think the title sums it up quite nicely.

I remember playing BG1 more than 10 years ago and I never finished it (stopped after 20 hours or so due to life throwing curve balls to me). I want to start and finish it properly this time, and also play BG2 that I never played before.

I have both games from GoG, but my question is: should I play BG1 "vanilla" or should I use a mod like BGT (or Tutu) that allows to play BG1 using BG2 engine?
My fear is just that more spells/classes will make BG1 easier than it should be. I'm going to play on normal, never been an hardcore, but I don't want a cakewalk either.
Also, how much will the BG2 engine make BG1 deviate from a standard experience? Does it feel like a different game when playing? Or is it just better?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Use BGT and install SCS (at least Smarter Enemies) for some extra challenge. Vanilla is too easy, and thus becomes boring.
Avoid most of the BG2 classes, or dual class into one in BG2.

Thal

Prophet
Go vanilla. Don't even install high res patches. Not only is BG1 entirely fine as it is, but BG2 systems and engine break the balance and make it too easy.

Last edited:

Piotrovitz

Savant
Like everyone said - go vanilla.

For BG1 I would only use SCS - after first couple of hours the game gets to easy without it.

SCS for BG2 is a tricky one and depends on your overall skill and understanding of game (mainly spell) mechanics.
Thankfully it's highly configurable, so you can just stick to minor changes, like AI enhancments.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Well I think the title sums it up quite nicely.

I remember playing BG1 more than 10 years ago and I never finished it (stopped after 20 hours or so due to life throwing curve balls to me). I want to start and finish it properly this time, and also play BG2 that I never played before.

I have both games from GoG, but my question is: should I play BG1 "vanilla" or should I use a mod like BGT (or Tutu) that allows to play BG1 using BG2 engine?
My fear is just that more spells/classes will make BG1 easier than it should be. I'm going to play on normal, never been an hardcore, but I don't want a cakewalk either.
Also, how much will the BG2 engine make BG1 deviate from a standard experience? Does it feel like a different game when playing? Or is it just better?
BG1 vanilla (not EE), with 1PP content, the bg fixpack and the widescreen mod, setting the game to 1280x720 if you have a reasonably sized 1920x1080 screen.

edit: for those advocating SCS, the man hasn't played the game in 10+ years. He doesn't need that, and plus if he takes our advice of playing vanilla BG1 then he's going to be installing a deprecated and unsupported version of SCS (SCS1 which is no longer maintained).

Don't be the modders of advice, less is often more.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Like everyone said - go vanilla.

For BG1 I would only use SCS - after first couple of hours the game gets to easy without it.

SCS for BG2 is a tricky one and depends on your overall skill and understanding of game (mainly spell) mechanics.
Thankfully it's highly configurable, so you can just stick to minor changes, like AI enhancments.

You can't play BG1 with SCS without BGT or TuTu.
That's the main reason for recommending BGT in the first place.

Bro. I got you covered.

Game 1
Game 2
No CD Hack
Ascension
Wheels of Prophecy
Baldur's Gate 2 Fixpack

Baldur's Gate Trilogy
Baldur's Gate Trilogy Tweaks

--------------------
Baldur's Gate 1 Mods
--------------------
Baldur's Gate I Restored Narration
Baldur's gate Lightmaps
Baldur's Gate Unfinished Business
Baldur's Gate Mini-Quests & Encounters
NPC Mods (If any)
Baldur's Gate NPC Project
Level 1 NPCs
Baldur's Gate Tweaks

---------------------------
Baldur's Gate 2 Mods & Else
Baldur's Gate 2 Unfinished Business
Pocket Plane Group Quest Pack
Assassinations
Pocket Plane Banter
iepBanter
Baldur's Gate 2 Creature Fixer
Oversight (Monk HLA component only)
Rogue Re-balancing
Improved Horns*
Item Revisions
One Pixel Productions
Baldur's Gate II Shield Animation Fix
PnP Free Action
Wildmage Expansion
WizardSlayer Re-balancing Mod
Sardas Revised Shapeshifter Mod
Spell Revisions
Picky Familiars
PnP Celestials
Sword Coast Strategems (V3 or V2)
gMinion
Baldur's Gate II Tweaks
aTweaks
eSeries (PC Scripts)
WideScreen
Generalized Biffing
Throne of Bhaal Extender
Refinements (HLA component only)

This is an exhaustively tested installation order, and equally vetted mod list. Only quality. No cheese. Many of them are either fixes, AI enhancements, or mods to bring the game a bit closer to PnP. It's probably a bit out of date, and does not apply to the enhanced editions. I've been meaning to get around vetting and experimenting with the EE mods, but I have yet to play the EE. I am tentatively planning on doing that after I finish Kingmaker.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Oh, and don't mind what that sad cunt Lilura may say. She knows more about fertilizing than she knows about BG1.

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Bro. I got you covered.

Game 1
Game 2
No CD Hack
Ascension
Wheels of Prophecy
Baldur's Gate 2 Fixpack

Baldur's Gate Trilogy

--------------------
Baldur's Gate 1 Mods
--------------------
Baldur's gate Lightmaps
NPC Mods (If any)
Level 1 NPCs
Baldur's Gate Tweaks

Assassinations
Pocket Plane Banter
iepBanter
Rogue Re-balancing
Improved Horns*
Item Revisions
One Pixel Productions
PnP Free Action
Wildmage Expansion
Spell Revisions
Picky Familiars
PnP Celestials
gMinion
Baldur's Gate II Tweaks
aTweaks
eSeries (PC Scripts)
WideScreen
Generalized Biffing
Throne of Bhaal Extender

This is an exhaustively tested installation order, and equally vetted mod list. Only quality. No cheese. Many of them are either fixes, AI enhancements, or mods to bring the game a bit closer to PnP. It's probably a bit out of date, and does not apply to the enhanced editions. I've been meaning to get around vetting and experimenting with the EE mods, but I have yet to play the EE. I am tentatively planning on doing that after I finish Kingmaker.

That list looked solid at first but then it added Spell/Item Revisions and can no longer be trusted.

Bro. I got you covered.

Game 1
Game 2
No CD Hack
Ascension
Wheels of Prophecy
Baldur's Gate 2 Fixpack

Baldur's Gate Trilogy

--------------------
Baldur's Gate 1 Mods
--------------------
Baldur's gate Lightmaps
NPC Mods (If any)
Level 1 NPCs
Baldur's Gate Tweaks

Assassinations
Pocket Plane Banter
iepBanter
Rogue Re-balancing
Improved Horns*
Item Revisions
One Pixel Productions
PnP Free Action
Wildmage Expansion
Spell Revisions
Picky Familiars
PnP Celestials
gMinion
Baldur's Gate II Tweaks
aTweaks
eSeries (PC Scripts)
WideScreen
Generalized Biffing
Throne of Bhaal Extender

That list looked solid at first but then it added Spell/Item Revisions and can no longer be trusted.

Spell Revisions (V2 or V3) is great, because it tones down some egregious spells (For example, Emotion: Hopelessness, is no longer instant win), while also bolstering some of the lowest level spells to keep them relevant later, without distorting them. Version 4 of Spell Revisions appears like it goes too far, and I can't recommend it. Item Revisions is an excellent improvement in all ways. The most common complaint is how you can change armored spellcasting failure. Like every feature, it's optional. This mod even lets you return to using the (superior) BG1 style proficiency. It's an excellent mod.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Just play vanilla, no mods. It's the best. Don't listen to BG2 fags like octavius.

There's nothing quite like BG1 vanilla. BG2 just brought decline, romances and crafting.

edit: six BG2 fags have rated this post, keep 'em coming bois

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Go Vanilla. I've been (slowly) taking a FMC through it and it's really like a splash of cold water in the face (in a good way).

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Play Vanilla first. If you never finish BG 1 before just go vanilla and enjoy the game for what it is. First dozen of hour in BG 1 was a drag but after that, it is somewhat enjoyable.

Just finish it as fast as you can and play BG 2 Vanilla for an overall better game.

I'd go for vanilla too. That's the way the game was meant to be played and certain classes from BG2 destroy the balance severely. And higher resultions show you more than you are supposed to see in some scenes. The only mod I ever played BG1 with is Unfinished Business but I'd recommend to play it in its purest form the first time.

agris

Arcane
Patron
UB is mostly fetch / fedex quests, although there are a few components that are worth installing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom