Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 1&2 for the first time in ages. BGT or not?

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Lilura fuck off woman. Shitty pathfinding is the one of the worst parts of BG1.

Drowed

Arcane
Play the Enhanced Edition, give your money to Beamdog, Twitter about it, and always remember you need to have Rasaad, Neera, Dorn and Baeloth in your party at all times. And nobody else.

Curratum

The vanilla edition is not even up for sale anywhere, you complete fucking waste-of-space autists.

Farewell into the night

I have like 2 physical copies at home. Original and one is from game magazine. The same with BG2.

They are not for sale, sorry.

miles teg

Scholar
Well I have bg1 and 2 from gog before they got removed, so no problem there.

I was considering buying IWD EE on switch only to be able to play in handheld mode in my bed, but then I came back to reality...

agris

Arcane
Patron
actually IWD:EE is probably the best of the lot of them, except the UI stinks. But that's true for all of their EEs.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Well to be fair the "crafting" in BG2 is about the the best crafting in any single player RPG.

That's damning with faint praise. Having the "best crafting" is like being the best at the special Olympics. Still retarded.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Well to be fair the "crafting" in BG2 is about the the best crafting in any single player RPG.

That's damning with faint praise. Having the "best crafting" is like being the best at the special Olympics. Still retarded.
IDK go around collecting artifacts to combine into one stronger artifact? Better than collecting 3 wood, 5 ore, and a sprinkle of fairy dust to make a generic +3 flyswatter.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
IDK go around collecting artifacts to combine into one stronger artifact? Better than collecting 3 wood, 5 ore, and a sprinkle of fairy dust to make a generic +3 flyswatter.

Ankheg shell becomes ankheg armor. Whether or not the ingredients are 3 wood, 5 ore, and a sprinkle of fairy dust or 1x belt, 1x gloves, hammer and a fairy dust scroll. This is pure decline. Being best of the retarded is still retarded.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Ankheg shell becomes ankheg armor. Whether or not the ingredients are 3 wood, 5 ore, and a sprinkle of fairy dust or 1x belt, 1x gloves, hammer and a fairy dust scroll. This is pure decline. Being best of the retarded is still retarded.

So in BG1 you kill some Ankhegs take the shells to a blacksmith and a couple of weeks later you get some decent armor. Not retarded. BG2 went a bit over the top with some of the craftable stuff (especially in TOB) but it still wasn't bad. And the first play through when you were actively on the lookout for the Crom Faeyr parts or flail heads was fun. But mileage will vary I suppose.

miles teg

Scholar
Ok the decision has been made: BG1 full vanilla and BG2 with fixpack.
Now I only need to find a hundred hours of free time... at least!

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
BG2 went a bit over the top with some of the craftable stuff

BG2 went a bit over the top in quite a lot of things, including crafting, but also romance, David Gaider, munchkin popamole and general decline.

This was further reflected in the expansion for BG2, compared to BG1. Decline. Decline. Decline.

They even fucked up the paper dolls in BG2. I don't even

edit: one David Gaider faggot fanboy has rated this post!
rating_prestigious.png

Archwizard Hank

Learned
Everybody dissing vanilla BG/2 in this thread come back to me after you've played it with Big World installed and maybe we can have a nice chat

I'm sure we'll have plenty of things to talk about, what with all of our sanity being depleted

agris

Arcane
Patron
Archwizard Hank i expect all your plasma and electrolytes to be devoted to getting to sarevok, and until i see that chapter pls stop posting outside your pen.

Archwizard Hank

Learned
I've pre-recorded up to the Gnoll Fortress. Actually coming up with clever commentary is what's difficult.

TJq98FT.png

A lot of the game is just transit like this. There are only so many ways I can say "and then we went to the place, and we did the thing." These things, they take time.

Also it feels masturbatory to triple post at the moment, but what do I know?

Anyway, to stay a bit more on topic...
The vanilla edition is not even up for sale anywhere, you complete fucking waste-of-space autists.
I would beg to differ, my good fellow

JDR13

Arcane
Everybody dissing vanilla BG/2 in this thread come back to me after you've played it with Big World installed and maybe we can have a nice chat.

Where do you see people dissing vanilla in this thread? If anything, it's being shilled like crazy.

Archwizard Hank

Learned
Vanilla as in unmodded, not "pre-EE." Two different things, confusingly enough. Mostly just people talking about the crafting system or what-have-you, which, y'know, sure.

but it gets worse

miles teg

Scholar
Well I started playing the vanilla, the only thing I miss so far compared to the modern days is the ability to run in towns. When exploring it's fine, since you want to proceed with caution anyway, but man those fetch quests in Candlekeep are SLOW.

I liked the fact that even in the tutorial area, among monks that tell you which keys to press to do things, you get at least 2 murder attempts. I got one of those even before the "combat tutorial". It's a nice touch, puts you in the right mindset of living in a harsh situation.

I couldn't recruit the two guys just outside town and I think I had to reload the Tarnesh encounter more than 10 times. Eventually I rushed past him and entered in the inn to recruit Gorion's friends and come out again to kill him. Good thing Khalid could tank those stupid magic missiles. A great encounter.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well I started playing the vanilla, the only thing I miss so far compared to the modern days is the ability to run in towns. When exploring it's fine, since you want to proceed with caution anyway, but man those fetch quests in Candlekeep are SLOW.

There is Game Speed Slider (30 AI Updates/Second by default) in Config.exe mini app in BG folder. For me it solves all problem with SLOW and I've never played IE games with it set lower than 50.

PS Path Search Nodes value could also be increased in the same place and it should help bad pathfinding a bit. In theory.

agris

Arcane
Patron
miles teg try setting AI updates to 40. 50 is 66% faster and too fast for combat imo, while 40 feels just right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom