Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

BruceVC

Magister
The hype for this game died off marvelously

It always surprised me that they went into Early Access so early. Aren't most of the people who would be interested in it already sick of it by now? I mean it's not as if the full game isn't just going to be more of the same, and if you've already "worn out" the beginning of the story (which is usually the most engaging and front-loaded part of these games anyway, and sets the tone for the rest of the game), what's the point?

You can understand a small, poor indie (like the one man band of Stellar Tactics) doing Early Access right from the start - in that case the primary audience is "growing with" the game's development - but a big company like Larian?

I suppose they must reckon that the potential audience for a BG game is big enough and casual enough that most of it won't have touched the Early Access.
This makes sense and fits my buying profile of this anticipated game. I havent bought it yet but will when its on final release

Aphex81

Scholar
Here are my 2 cents on the game. Baldurs Gate was a trap. 20 years ago Bioware realized that dnd is shit so they made a fun game instead.
The trans folk over at Wotk noticed that Larian wasn't putting enough wheelchairbound black tans people into their game so they called up Swen:
"Hey Swen why don't you make bank on those nostalgia goggles and make a boring game with 500 year old clunky mechanics huh? But you totally need to up your inclusion game and make everyone gay!" and Swen was like: "HELL YAAAAAAAS".
Now they are stuck with the dnd aids and no cure. The abilities are all low impact garbage and the resting system is so unappealing that they have to make it a requirement in order to progress the story.

But worry not Swen, finish it up and move on. Concider it a life lesson.

I hope they grew disinterested and felt scammed. Never do EA, don't reward devs by paying to be their beta testers.
I bought it, haven't installed it even once, don't watch those stupid videos they put out, barely bother to read updates posted to Steam, and barely read this very thread. Just waiting for it to be done and then I'll play it and judge it then. Exact same situation as Colony Ship.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I hope they grew disinterested and felt scammed. Never do EA, don't reward devs by paying to be their beta testers.
I bought it, haven't installed it even once, don't watch those stupid videos they put out, barely bother to read updates posted to Steam, and barely read this very thread. Just waiting for it to be done and then I'll play it and judge it then. Exact same situation as Colony Ship.

Stop being part of the problem.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I would rate Larian's EA experience *far* above Obsidian's NWN2 Official Campaign at release, and even today.

No way.

You start at lv 3 after the tutorial in a village under attack, not at lv 1 escaping a mindflayer spelljammer ship after it got damaged by fighting a draconic army, have a clear objective in mind, reach Neverwinter city and talk to a guy. Getting access to neverwinter city is a interesting adventure and makes sense for a low level PC(we are not talking shit like reading the Necronomicon and using barrelmancy to burn a red dragon), there are many ways to get access to teh city, including persuading the lizardfolk or killing them(which has consequences in late game, where you need to find allies). Then start to work for the city militia to get access to noble quarters to talk to the guy that you need to talk, after a long time, in end of ch 1, you get framed by a horrible massacre.

And the entire chapter 2 is about getting evidences of your innocence, getting a extremely low noble rank to not be extradited and tortured to death as Luskan demands that you should be judged there, and in the trial, you have "N" possible ways to prove your innocence, then attack and free Crossroad keep at the orders of Lord Nasher and get rewarded with a higher noble position and the keep itself which you can manage, choose what to build and need to make it resist a siege from the Lord of Shadows and his minions, do quests involving re making a legendary sword and getting true names of powerful foes which can't be defeated otherwise, make alliance with many foes, dwarfs, druids, lizardfolk(...) to protect the land, suvive a full scale assault from him and them, assault his fortress.

This campaign is not bad. Is not as great as Baldur's Gate saga, as Dark Sun : Shattered Lands -> Wake of the Ravager, Ravenloft : Strahd possession -> Stone prpphet (...) But is not as if NWN2 campaign is bad. BG3 campaign in other hands, is honestly the worst which I saw in a D&D CRPG. In fact, I would say that is worse than even WoTR campaign. WoTR has atrocious writing and encounter design but at least has power fantasy. BG3 lacks power fantasy.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"wotr is shit but i can pew-pew!"

Pew-Pew in a good campaign > Pew-Pew in a bad campaign. But as I've said to you during the BETA of WoTR, if you are not into power fantasy, PF:WoTR has nothing to offer to you. You bought the game knowing that you will probably not gonna like and could have played a game more in line with your tastes.

You just complained that BG3 begins with you engaging with excessively lofty events and entities.

The problem is that mechanic and encounter wise, the game is very low level yet story wise, more epic than Mask of the Betrayer and Hordes of the Underdark.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
BG3 looks like a worse DD covering its wants with D&D. At best, it'll be playable because if the system. But, the story and plot is retartet on every level.

That said it doesn't matter. It is gonna make a ton of money. Between Larian, DD, BG, and D&D... it's built in audience potential is bigly so those waiting for it to bomb, don't hold your breath.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
so what is the consenuss ?

Except by Larian cultists, everyone agrees that is the worst D&D CRPG adaptation(not counting shit like SCL) but will sell well cuz brand recognition.

You should go and look at the full history of D&D adaptations if you're going to make a claim like this, not just the good stuff like Gold Box and IE.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Except by Larian cultists, everyone agrees that is the worst D&D CRPG adaptation(not counting shit like SCL) but will sell well cuz brand recognition.

Go play some of these and then come back. Be warned, there are some true pieces of shit in here and this is just off the top of my head.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Hillsfar_(game)
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/dragons-of-flame
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Dungeons_&_Dragons:_Heroes_of_the_Lance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Sorcerer

Not really CRPGs but still D&D adaptations into video games:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DragonStrike_(video_game)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthright:_The_Gorgon's_Alliance

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Idiots who think this eill be the worst D&D game ever are ignorant and retarded. No way, for example, will it be as bad as POR2 plus at least a dozen others like the recent Dark Alliance which couldn't even live up to its action rpg forebears BG:DA and BG:DA2. LMAO

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Be warned, there are some true pieces of shit in here and this is just off the top of my head

Those are not P&P adaptaions, are Dungeons & Dragons complete bastardizations like sword coast legends and warriors of the waterdeep. When I said "not counting shit like SCL", I was excluding such bastardizations.

Idiots who think this eill be the worst D&D game ever are ignorant and retarded. No way, for example, will it be as bad as POR2 plus at least a dozen others like the recent Dark Alliance which couldn't even live up to its action rpg forebears BG:DA and BG:DA2. LMAO

Sorry, I've made more clear that I was excluding console and mobile cashgrabs D&D bastardizations.

And when Larian announced it, I was expecting a full blown bastarization without even dice rolls. IE - Turn based Dark Alliance/DOS2 hybrid.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Not even counting console game, there are plenty of shifty PC D&D games. I named one - POR2. Existence of that shit us enough to disprove the bullshit of it being 'worst ever'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom