Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lambach

Arcane
Gay-vampire-rogue-politician-man has a smoke bomb. How exactly being able to link into the hivemind allows you to create a smoke bomb isn't very intuitive to me.

its-magic-i-aint-gotta-explain-shit2.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:lol::lol::lol:

LoL the game uses Vulkan....won't even bother starting it.

Had it happen once in about six hours of play on my GTX 770

8fN52YT.jpg
Switch to DX11 asap. I had a bug on Vulkan - every texture was extremely LOW RES despite settings.
Yeah,vukan is know for being shit,especially with nvidia cards.

For people that don't know,next to the play button there is a gear icon that lets you chose between dx11 and vulkan.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
:lol::lol::lol:

LoL the game uses Vulkan....won't even bother starting it.

Had it happen once in about six hours of play on my GTX 770

8fN52YT.jpg
Switch to DX11 asap. I had a bug on Vulkan - every texture was extremely LOW RES despite settings.

I noticed it immediately, even in the main menu the textures were fucked. Had to look for the setting for a bit, here's where you change it:

hdfik7d.jpg

On the LAUNCHER, before you start the game. The PLAY button is a drop down menu, select it from here. It plain works better.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Magic items are very common, and tiered with colour rarity.
oh for fuck's sake

The itemisation was probably the one thing I was looking forward to from the ruleset.

Fuck sakes Larian.

They just couldn't help themselves.
Every vendor in the first level 2 "city" sells at least one +1 magical item. Prices are low enough that I could buy one in the first hour, if I sell all the space grenades I got from the tutorial.
Also I already found one dose of a very potent poison, which shows off as blue rarity in my inventory. They probably made +1 and equal power enchantments green, +2 blue and +3 red. Stronger orange or so.
Utter decline, but if they put so much work into this shit they sure as hell are not gonna remove rarity now.
At least most magic items are just cute, like a staff that allows you to cast create water, a noncombat spell, for free.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

That... is worrying.
What? You expected this to be a gold box game? A 2d isometric game?

This is about the best you can hope for all things considered.

It could have been Bethesda making it into a crumby FPS with their ancient engine.

The other option is Beamdog and we all saw what happened with Dragonspear and the woke brigade infecting it.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
oh for fuck's sake

The itemisation was probably the one thing I was looking forward to from the ruleset.

Fuck sakes Larian.

Every vendor in the first level 2 "city" sells at least one +1 magical item. Prices are low enough that I could buy one in the first hour, if I sell all the space grenades I got from the tutorial.
Also I already found one dose of a very potent poison, which shows off as blue rarity in my inventory. They probably made +1 and equal power enchantments green, +2 blue and +3 red. Stronger orange or so.
Utter decline, but if they put so much work into this shit they sure as hell are not gonna remove rarity now.
At least most magic items are just cute, like a staff that allows you to cast create water, a noncombat spell, for free.

Sounds pure decline. Magic items are meant to be even rarer in 5e than older editions, a +1 weapon is supposed to be a powerful treasure at low levels not something thrown around willy nilly.

I was really hoping Larian would restrain themselves this time round.

Gargaune

Magister
Wtf, this is starting to sound like the Steam forum now with fanboys attacking people with legit issues with the game.

1. Story/presentation is lacking
2. DnD 5e sucks (apparently)
3. It's DOS 2.5
4. 4 party limit
5. Theme park
6. Camera and control issues
7. Confusing/bad UI
8. Level up is boring
9. Cartoony, exaggerated animations etc

That is my issues, not hating for hating or anything. It just seems poor. I had a ton of issues with Pathfinder too in the beginning, but playing it now it was a genuine joy. I could see though that it was a "spiritual successor" to the BG games, but I have a hard time seeing this game shape up to anything enjoyable in the same way, just too many fundamental issues for me. While some can be fixed of course, but it's still gonna be a DOS game in disguise.
So if the UI is "unfortunate", the camera's shit, you only control four characters and there are no party formations... does that make BG3 a spiritual successor to NWN2?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
oh for fuck's sake

Fuck sakes Larian.

Sounds pure decline. Magic items are meant to be even rarer in 5e than older editions, a +1 weapon is supposed to be a powerful treasure at low levels not something thrown around willy nilly.

This aspect of DnDs system never appealed to me. Probably because the reliance on the D20 makes a +1 modifier... miniscule. 5% is peanuts. If BG3 has easier access to +2 stuff, more power to them. I shall be probably thinking of the +1s as of masterwork items, instead of outright magical ones.

Takamori

Learned
I know I will get showered with Fabulously Optimistic, maybe if we give the feedback that Magic Items shouldn't be that common and not be colored with retarded MMO convention we might get that shit fixed?

Rieser

Scholar
But you can not see the DC of a check before attempting to roll. So you might see attempt to investigate or insight, you try insight because your bonus is +2 instead of +1, but the DC is 5 points higher.

This. Incredibly frustrating way of handling checks, and I really fail to see the purpose of hiding the actual difficulty of the check until you've committed to making it. It's also made even more strange by the fact that your modifiers are visible - as if that's any fucking help when I've no clue how difficult the check is.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
oh for fuck's sake

Fuck sakes Larian.

This aspect of DnDs system never appealed to me. Probably because the reliance on the D20 makes a +1 modifier... miniscule. 5% is peanuts.

Yeah but in 5e, AC and attack is bounded so it doesn't increase as dramatically.

As an example, a level 10 fighter only has an attack bonus of +4 from their levels. So a +1 weapon is quite significant.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I know I will get showered with Fabulously Optimistic, maybe if we give the feedback that Magic Items shouldn't be that common and not be colored with retarded MMO convention we might get that shit fixed?

Absolutely impossible, they are not random magic items. That shit is customly named and designed and everything. They would have to cut huge amounts of finished content for that, might as well start begging for rtwp instead.

So if the UI is "unfortunate", the camera's shit, you only control four characters and there are no party formations... does that make BG3 a spiritual successor to NWN2?

Nowhere near as bad imo. But I dislike both NWNs a lot, I think they are worse than Original Sin.
Those games were only good for their engine. And even that was kinda gay.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Those dialogue hidden dice rolls sound pretty retarded. When you think that rpgs finally moved past that retarded luck based gameplay that is fine for a table but shit pc,then some retarded homofag hipster decides that it is cool to bring it back.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Absolutely impossible, they are not random magic items. That shit is customly named and designed and everything.
Now I'm confused. Are they all hand-crafted, and the only problem is that they're too numerous? I can live with that.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron

Absolutely impossible, they are not random magic items. That shit is customly named and designed and everything. They would have to cut huge amounts of finished content for that, might as well start begging for rtwp instead.

Nowhere near as bad imo. But I dislike both NWNs a lot, I think they are worse than Original Sin.
Those games were only good for their engine. And even that was kinda gay.
They should add a meter in the options to set on either Low, Medium or High which defines the amount of magical items found in the game.
Have the cute ones, like the walk on water staff, pop on High - the less interesting impactful ones pop on medium and the most interesting impactful ones pop on low et voilà.
Just tag them with 1 2 or 3 and code it.

Tbh I think i'd find it even worse though. Modular games tend to lack personality as an effect of their modularity, or so I find.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Absolutely impossible, they are not random magic items. That shit is customly named and designed and everything.
Now I'm confused. Are they all hand-crafted, and the only problem is that they're too numerous? I can live with that.

Yeah, I'd also like clarification on this. Does the game actually have D:OS 2 style itemisation with random effects added to items, or is the issue just that it throws too many magic items at you.

The latter is still bad, but it isn't quite as shit as the former.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
oh for fuck's sake

Fuck sakes Larian.

This aspect of DnDs system never appealed to me. Probably because the reliance on the D20 makes a +1 modifier... miniscule. 5% is peanuts.

Yeah but in 5e, AC and attack is bounded so it doesn't increase as dramatically.

As an example, a level 10 fighter only has an attack bonus of +4 from their levels. So a +1 weapon is quite significant.

Yeesh, +4 from the levels, +3 or +4 from the stats, and so the +1 from the weapon matters less and less. And the combined +8/+9 from all these sources is still paltry compared to the D20 itself, and the broad range of results it provides. At level 10 the fighter would likely face stuff such as Stone Golems (AC 17), meaning he would hit only slightly more often than half the time. I'm not quite convinced this is the sensible approach.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
oh for fuck's sake

Fuck sakes Larian.

Yeesh, +4 from the levels, +3 or +4 from the stats, and so the +1 from the weapon matters less and less. And the combined +8/+9 from all these sources is still paltry compared to the D20 itself, and the broad range of results it provides. At level 10 the fighter would likely face stuff such as Stone Golems (AC 17), meaning he would hit only slightly more often than half the time. I'm not quite convinced this is the sensible approach.

The idea of bounded accuracy is generally that a DM can use low level enemies as effective enemies against high level parties, and also that low level parties could theoretically stand a chance against high level enemies.

That's the idea on paper anyway.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

I think so. I would have to make a new character and play to the same village to see if they sell exactly the same and the one goblin chief drops the same gauntlets to confirm.

The items aren't bad, no where near the Divinity "Helmet of Leadership +1 and Water Magic +1" bullshit. It is more like "Burning Edge, a normal Greataxe but it sets targets it hits on fire", so probably much better than DOS in that regard.
But they shouldn't be this common in a 5e game, not even in a BG game. BG 1 had most vendors not carry magical gear at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom