Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
As I've been repeating ever since it was announced - it's inavaoidable that it will be shit like that, because Larian can't do any better.

Except they did do better. Massively.

There's virtually no comparison between this and D:OS.

It feels like a turn-based Bioware or Obsidian game, not D:OS.
Are the flaws Alienman listed not present in both D:OS games? IMO they are.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

As I've been repeating ever since it was announced - it's inavaoidable that it will be shit like that, because Larian can't do any better.

Except they did do better. Massively.

There's virtually no comparison between this and D:OS.

It feels like a turn-based Bioware or Obsidian game, not D:OS.
Are the flaws Alienman listed not present in both D:OS games? IMO they are.
Look, you can say X is in one game so that makes it just like another game all day, but it's not productive.

I'm not sure if you've played it or seen it streamed, but I don't see how anyone who's played the silly, simple and...oddly written Divinity games can compare them to this.

They clearly worked their asses off to improve the writing and dialog and it shows.

Gameplay is as close to a simulation of 5e (for better or for worse) as you can get.

Saying that Larian can't do any better than D:OS is 100% wrong because this game is miles better.

Consider how many times I shat on it in the BG3 thread when I say that.

I'm not saying it's great, mind you, I'm saying it's way better than D:OS. Take that to mean what you will.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Some of my thoughts:

Larian's one big map for each chapter style sucks. Despite the map being way larger than the first two game's hub based map sizewise, it actually feel smaller, at the same time slower to move around. Wasting tons of time running around on empty roads between several big areas, it's worse than loading screen.

The camera control needs improvement, big time.

5e's skill check might works in pnp games, but sucks ass in CRPG. Kingmaker and Deadfire are miles better than this. You can't really build a character that good at doing certain things because there is no individual skills, and you will always have a relatively high chances of fail.

Also the skill check in the game is awfully designed. It's just chapter 1 and there are 14 and above checks all over the place. Most of the time you have around 50% chance of passing it if you are lucky and if you fail you are forced into combat or locked out of area. So you either save scumming or just play a chaotic evil character, killing randomly when the dice says so.

Auto save is shit, keep pressing that F5 until it's broken.

You can spam long rest whenever you feel like it and it makes no sense to have a camp. One moment you are in a dungeon, press the rest button and you are magically back to your camp outside, and one sleep later you are back at the dungeon again.

one more subjective thing:

Low level dnd sucks. you are very squishy and has very little abilities to use. And the lack of enemy variety in the first chapter make combat extremely boring. Using the same abilities to fight goblins over and over again. Heck there are hundreds of goblins to kill and they are pretty much the same.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Dudes, come on, it's not like BG/II had the greatest writing ever, or even remarkable writing.

What we were lucky that BG/II didn't have, thanks to technical limitations was that their mediocre writing was not being shoved in our faces constantly with retarded animations and voiceovers. Also, we were too young to notice how corny it was, especially for those who are not native English speakers.
It had fine fantasy writing,compared to this it was an amazing writing.

They clearly worked their asses off to improve the writing and dialog and it shows.
I doubt it. Won't judge until the game is fully released and we get to experience the whole story though.
As I said, I'm not saying the game is the best ever, but it easily equals any Obsidian or Bioware game in its current form in terms of RPG dialog and writing.

I couldn't stand the story and writing in their previous games.

Watch a stream of the gameplay and see for yourself.

If you told me this was an Obsidian game and I had no idea, I would probably believe you.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I was wondering that next - it seems skill checks are total random rolls, nothing that boosts "knowledge" of topics. Man, this seems like total decline to be honest.
I think you get boosts. It's just not very visible.

It's mainly from your stats (and maybe your background, but I don't see that quantified on my character sheet.)
Your modifiers work, but it seems the target in the dice rolling interface automatically takes those into account and adjusts the displayed number.
At least that's what I'm getting from this picture of one of the dice rolling interfaces.

The 'real' target is 15 as seen on the infobox that appears when you hover over it, but since I get a +2 modifier from CHA the displayed target takes those 2 into account and lowers the required roll.

GAxqC.jpg

Robber Baron

Savant
A classic is another name for "a cliche, but well executed". Morrigan was nothing special, but it worked.

And yet there're no characters nowdays that come close to her charisma. Or Viconia's charisma, or Aerie's. The level of talent went nosedive in the last decade, so even classic Bioware level is an achievment.

A classic is another name for "a cliche, but well executed". Morrigan was nothing special, but it worked.

And yet there're no characters nowdays that come clsoe to her charisma. Or Viconica's charisma, or Aerie's. The level of talent went nosedive in the last decade, so even classic Bioware level is an achievment.
Ok, you can stop now. You're scaring the children.

BarbequeMasta

Learned

And yet there're no characters nowdays that come close to her charisma. Or Viconica's charisma, or Aerie's. The level of talent went nosedive in the last decade, so even classic Bioware level is an achievment.
U sure you're not confusing charisma with boobs or just thinking with your dick or smthing?

Ninjerk

Arcane
Looks like there's some ghost talking implementation. Is it anywhere near as extensive as Arcanum?

Quillon

Arcane
1) Establishing RTwP as the dominant combat system. 2) Neglecting choice & consequence.

Now we have a Baldur's Gate 3 made by a studio that, whatever else you want to say about them, seems obsessed with those two things, and it turns out that nope, that's not quite enough. :P

I would have prefered it to be RTwP for my personal taste but its TB and I understand why, whatever but I just can't trust Larian with C&C, its always all over the place with them, no consistency; it would be too open in one place and railroady af in another also that for the 567890th time being able to play as companions in dialogue is fucking abomination, fucking co-op spilling all over single player for no good reason and this'll be the their 3rd game(that I know of) with that, and it doesn't get mentioned anywhere, everybody's ok with it, fucking control freaks all of yous :P

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
IMO, it's probably the best game Larian has done since Divine Divinity and it's shaping up to be as good as or better than any Dragon Age game.

Not a high bar to cross.

It's decent. I haven't seen the full game, but I can see it shaping up to be worth the $60 eventually, if you like games like Dragon Age, that is.

That... is worrying.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Im interested in buying just one question, if they for example have finished act 2 will it be in the Eearly Access too? Or just Act 1 until release?

Just Act 1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom