Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
People who never played 5E are not allowed to have opinions about it.

Yep. I need to buy 3 expensive books, create a character sheet, find a group, play and only then my opinion would be valid /sarcasm. People who never played "grognard" games are not allowed to have opinion about how much decline Larian causes. Simple as that.

Example? Disintegrate spell
  • On Every Strategic Simulations Inc D&D games -> OHK on failed save
  • On Arcanum -> OHK on failed save and can be used to destroy objects in the world, like fortified doors
  • On Infinity Engine games -> OHK on failed save.
  • On M&M 3 -> OHK on failed save.
  • On Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar -> OHK on a failed save and necromancers have a OHK on failed save 6 turn persistent spell which is like having a wail of the banshee for 6 turns.

And Larian? Larian mentioned it as an example of a "broken high level spell" which is extremely weak on 5e and considered mid level by The Complete Wizard's handbook for 2e

UZJMQ5R.png

Reminder everyone in this thread bought an early access game for 60 bucks

Wrong. I payed on Argentine pesos. A tiny fraction of it. And BTW, din't broke steam ToS. I putted credits on my steam account when I was there.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
...find a group...

I can see how that would be problem for someone as insufferable as you.

LOL. I an playing swords & wizardry, a amazing retroclone which is rarely played and no one on my group complained about me. Only people who hate arcane stuff and old school stuff seems to dislike me.

I feel like you missed a few steps there, buddy.

Isn't obvious? If a spell, power, sci fi weapon, or wathever is called disintegrate, it should actually disintegrate stuff.

I strongly recommend this game

Harthwain

Magister
Yep. I need to buy 3 expensive books, create a character sheet, find a group, play and only then my opinion would be valid /sarcasm. People who never played "grognard" games are not allowed to have opinion about how much decline Larian causes. Simple as that.
According to this site you don't need all that much to play.

The essentials:

1) Basic rules (free of charge on the website).
2) Character sheets (can be found on the Wizards of the Coast site too).
3) Dice.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Yep. I need to buy 3 expensive books

SchwartzeskinnedUnterpersonn bitte, WotC released all the rules online for free. Just go to 5e tools... you tool.

create a character sheet, find a group, play and only then my opinion would be valid

13109.jpg

Yes

For the moment, you seem to be blissfully unaware how fast most of 5e combats end. This is unsatisfying in the extreme, esp if you consider concentration or other long-lasting spells. Using one of these only for the combat to end 2 rounds later is typical, and feels like a colossal waste of resources. Also stop fapping to all the save-or-effect spells, these have always felt like a colossal waste of resources.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I disagree with your analysis. While fireball and other damaging spells can often clean up rooms, my encounters tend to be on the longer side, with spells like Telekinesis, Hypnotic Pattern, Banishment being decisive most often.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Thanks, I'll know to avoid it.

The game is the 22th most popular game here in codex https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=11193

you seem to be blissfully unaware how fast most of 5e combats end. This is unsatisfying in the extreme,

Well, believe or not, my lv 9 MU on S&W ended with a group of almost 30 bandits with a single cloudkill...

But I kinda miss the warlock/black tentacles season.

I only created a single thread about nwn2 nerfs... Sorry for wanting a 3.5E adaptation to be faithful to 3.5E. That is heresy here. Every game should be like Sword Coast Legends. /s

If you say so...

I detailed how my first session on a thread which I created long time ago.

Your issue is clearly not with the spell being named Disintegrate.

Exactly. Imagine having a spell named fireball which deals bludgeoning damage and no fire damage? Or in a sci fi series, they having a weapon which fires a disintegration bean which doesn't disintegrate anyone. That would be silly, right?

y encounters tend to be on the longer side,

And that is why you love Larian games. Larian tries to appeal to the modern audience which doesn't care much about game mechanics and lore being in line and enjoy long and gimmicky fights.

-------------

Anyway, I will stop discussing 5E and BG3 related stuff. Will only talk about good stuff like Solasta, PF:WoTR or Knights of the Chalice 2, amazing RPG games being launched this year. Enjoy your low level spiders with 3 digit hp, able to soak multiple cannon shots and your low level campaign which starts with you fleeing a mindflayer spelljammer ship where a netherese magical nuke artifact is just a side plot. That is how low level D&D adventures are /s

Now seriously. When Larian announced lv cap = 10 and the trailers released, I was imaging that mindflayers would be the central enemies and the players would be powerless to stop then without a lot of help and the game would be about adventuring and trying to persuade nobles to form a alliance against mindflayer and being used as pawns by the aristocrats in a depth intrigue or something like that. And only being able to fight the mindflayers on the late stages of the game. I din't expected underdark on ch 1, """arch"""druids that can't cast tier 3 spells and BS like that.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
People who never played 5E are not allowed to have opinions about it.

At least read the rules before shitposting about them...
You don't need Dungeon Masters guide, Player Handbook and one monster book is all you need to understand the edition.
DMG mostly has traps, treasure, lore and settings and a fuckton of garbage like bad travel rules and stuff about the population of cities that nobody ever uses.

inb4
Mj2Ia6J.png
, WotC does not give a fuck about the pdfs, as they still make enough cash from accessories and hardcover sales for physical tabletop play

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I only created a single thread about nwn2 nerfs... Sorry for wanting a 3.5E adaptation to be faithful to 3.5E. That is heresy here. Every game should be like Sword Coast Legends. /s
Hey man, I feel you. I wanted so badly a faithful 3.5 adaptation that I started working on it in my spare time.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You faggots still talk about this garbage? NJClaw anything interesting in the last 150 pages of ars slurping? Is DragQueen still alive,is swen still alive ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom