Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Gargaune

Magister
Horizon Dawn and my 2070 OC gives me around max of 75C with everything maxed out, but playing Baldurs Gate 3 and my temps are going way up to 90C even with 90% fan speed!
Vulkan or DX11? I've got a 2070 and I've never seen any game push it beyond the 80C range. Granted, it's EA and they clearly stated that system reqs are likely to change as they optimise the game, so we'll see.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Don't know whether anyone cares, but these are my thoughts after about 6h. These are all written in the full knowledge that it's EA and far from the finished article:
  • As expected, it feels like DOS:3. The world looks nice enough, if unpolished.
  • I think they've gone down the route of "vendors scale up with you" from their other games... I could be wrong but I'm sure an early vendor acquired new magic items when I went from level 2 to 3. This is a massive landmine that they need to avoid in the final game IMO.
  • The skill check rolls don't fit in this kind of PC game IMO. Too easy to save scum and consequently they feel retarded. An example: right at the start you run into Shadow Heart banging on a door like a retard, and a skill check can determine whether you get a new party member or a fight. It just seems off to me, as well as pointless. If you want her in your party you're just going to reload until you pass the check. And Larian can't really do anything to limit saves given how they like to spring over-levelled encounters on you with zero warning.
  • The game is piss easy up to the point I'm at.
  • Graphics, models and cameras are not in a good way at all. My charname stroking a dog looked fucking hilarious... yes I know it's EA.
  • In general the D&D ruleset is way better than Larian's in-house system (cough armour). Shouldn't be news to anyone here.
  • It feels kind of void of content, which I'm sure they will address over time.
  • My bet is that it'll end up being a 7 or 8 max/10 and worth a playthrough, whereas I see BG1 & 2 as 9 or 10/10 must-play classics.
That all sounds quite negative, but I'm actually quite enjoying picking through it. I'm interested to see how they link this game to the series.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Isn't the fighter the best archer in dd5 anyway ?
Most of the time, yes. But where fighters have great burst damage, rangers have more consistent damage over time. If you're facing a lot of encounters between rests then the ranger will be better than the fighter.

BG3 has an arbitrary limit of one short rest per long rest, which hurts fighters. If you're not planning on spamming long rests then a ranger should work out well.

Once they add multiclassing you can go Ranger/Rogue to further increase damage and scouting.

SPOILER: In-game World map. Marked are all areas accessible in the EA area... looks like there's room for
2-3 more maps, one of which is likely Baldur's Gate. Could also be another one in Avernus

Horizon Dawn and my 2070 OC gives me around max of 75C with everything maxed out, but playing Baldurs Gate 3 and my temps are going way up to 90C even with 90% fan speed!
Vulkan or DX11? I've got a 2070 and I've never seen any game push it beyond the 80C range. Granted, it's EA and they clearly stated that system reqs are likely to change as they optimise the game, so we'll see.

Good point. There's also an FPS limiter which is turned off by default. Even my GTX 1050 ti on the occasion jumps beyond 70 fps without the limiter (albeit on medium settings @1080p). This may put a real strain on really powerful cards without limiting. These options should help either way, perhaps -- IIRC they've acknowledged some possible issues with Vulkan.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So how about the feels? Does it feel like Baldur's Gate 3 or Divinity Original Sin 2: D&D edition?

There's literally nothing from Baldur's Gate here. Hell, NPCs need to constantly remind the player there's a Baldur's Gate city nearby just so you wont forget it aint another Divinity

I can't believe I'm doing this, but Infinitron can you thread split the autists into their own "what is the definition of Baldur's Gate?" thread. Lambchop19 is at least talking about the game and these morons are shitting the thread up.
I remind you again, there is already a thread that discusses what makes a game worthy of calling itself Baldur's Gate. I for one am quite sure of what I'll judge this D:OS3 on.

HAHAHAHAHA oh boy this game SUCKS. I thought it'd suck, but the amount of SUCK is taken to a whole new level even by Larian standards.

obnoxiously eats chips while talking

Okay first off, the Gith girl. LOL. Cringe shit, this is every fuckin' Brunhilda wannabe 5E dyke girl out there. I hope that Larian knows no matter how much narrative focus they plan for her I am going to do nothing but use her as a minefield detector. If she dies, she dies, Ivan Drago shit. Never using her.

Vampirefag is vampirefag. The only cool vidya game vampire was Kain so I'm used to seeing a bunch of gay vampires in entertainment at this point (unless you count your own PC in Bloodlines with whom you have the option to not make a mesh-shirt wearing raver gearbox). Zero interest in this guy.

Shadowheart AKA Babygurl, this is my future wife/broodmama. I'm getting real tired of you closet homosexuals trying to play it hipster by saying Githandra up there is some cutiepie while denying Babygurl's PRIME-TIME breedable body. Take that "I wanna upset my mom by banging ugly foreigners" shit back to your dinner table, CUZ. All I can think about when I see her speak in a cutscene is how ill-nasty she'll look with SEMEN splattered over her haughty face. Because of this simping, I've not one clue what she has said so far.

Anyways the feel of the game is not reminiscent of Baldur's Gate at all. Shit, even those hack-n-slash PS2 games got closer to it. There is no denying that this is a Divinity:OS2 mod brought to its limits and overhauled of that TRAAAY-ASH combat system for 5E. To think of this as a worthy contender for the coveted "3" in "Baldur's Gate 3" is some zoomer shit, bruh. Story is dumb as fuck, combat is serviceable, atmosphere is flat, that Larian style cartoony garbage glistens everywhere. By the way I like how the character generator screen has "VENTURE FORTH." HAHAHA, because you must GATHER yourself before VENTURING FORTH! Swen you sly devil! Ooohohohoho! Oh yeah it's 5E so the character customization is steaming dogshit unless you are one of those MMOtards that loves to make sure you got the PERFECT nose bridge angle.

Regardless I must press on.
The spider is the best poster of this forum, hands down.

Perkel

Arcane
Isn't the fighter the best archer in dd5 anyway ?

Same with previous versions. Ranger isn't supposed to be best archer but scout/archer/shittydruid in one.
The problem here is that people save scum so no reason to scout anything and game will be linear so no reason again to scout for things you know will happen.

Imho my favorite DnD game would be roguelike one. Only in that framework you can use classes properly as intended and that will probably still leave a lot from them due to RP reasons.

Game runs like shit so far on my 2060 super! It's taking 80% even though everything is on low...

ultra 980 and runs like butter.

What i noticed though is that game is unplayable on HDD. On HDD it stutters like crazy while on SSD it runs like smooth without problems.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not my image but:
gci2bWu.jpg

A level 4 spider with 138(!) hp because they want to force you to use ~environmental effects~ to beat it. Fuck you Swen, this isn't D&D.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
IS THIS ANY GOOD BABY?

- the question of some fat cunt violently jerking you off, I guess. We're all waiting for some kind of confirmation that this is indeed any good, which will come when we're entirely limp of course

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A level 4 spider with 138(!) hp because they want to force you to use ~environmental effects~ to beat it. Fuck you Swen, this isn't D&D.
Hopefully they've toned down the barrels from D:OS levels, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with a puzzle fight every now and then.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Not my image but:
gci2bWu.jpg

I don't know what they mean by "level", but if it's the monster's challenge rating, those HP are not far off the norm. A CR 4 creature should have around 120 HP (less if it deals high amount of damage).

dmQM1mB.png

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

You seriously underestimate the damage output of a 4man lvl 4 party. Depending on her offenses and on how many adds she has this fight might not even be hard.

Nobody uses ranger for archers.

Nobody uses ranger.

Rangers make ok archers.
The big difference pre lvl 11 is Hunters Mark and Collosus Slayer (or your other add 1d8 per turn feature from the other good subclasses) against action surge and battlemaster maneuvers.
After lvl 11 it is volley against more attacks.

I think late game rangers get even stronger due to some ranger exclusive spells being really good.

That said the best archer in the game is a bard snatching the ranger exclusive spells out of curve.

Apart from that Rangers are rarely the best at anything, but you are not behind your groups powerlevel on a Hunter/Horizon Walker/Gloom Stalker. Only Beastmasters are truly awfull.

The majority of a min maxed archers effectiveness comes from the interaction of archery fighting style with sharpshooter. The extra to hit makes the -5/+10 a quite broken option against mid and low AC enemies. And against high AC you are still better off than most due to your very high to hit.

Perkel

Arcane
reminder for folks that DnD above 2 is shitty hp fest. I still have nighmares playing Neverwinter nights and those retarded HP stacks.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Not my image but:

I guess BG1 and 2 also expect you to use 'environmental effects' since it features basic spells like web and grease?
The fire puddle shit and exploding barrels are virtually absent from BG3 (at least in the EA version so far) and if you seem to think blowing shit up in any fashion is required to beat these games then I am forced to question if you even play video games at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom