Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
in old games mobs didn't wake up each other after sleep spell
"the mobs had bad AI and I liked it that way"
um, ok
I'm sure they'll implement an easy mode for you
Yea, I'm arguing that the game is easy, and your response is that I want easy mode did they dropped you on the head as a child?
let me guess, you think an enemy with infinite HP that does nothing is the ultimate challenge right?

Mobs in BG III have bloated hp compared to older titles, so that's your thing, not mine.
And how much hp they have exactly? Especially compared to older titles.
jDmOdZf.png

Encounter Data: Outside the Grove Gates

Encounter Data: Blighted Village Ambush

Encounter Data: Windmill

Not all stats here, but ones that stand out (especially our first 15 HPs)

Encounter Data: Goblin Village

Obviously too many goblins here to do the same thing. I've grabbed a couple different characters

Also, note the distribution of Goblin HPs outside the Goblin Village

# HP
3x 8 HP
3x 10 HP
1x 11 HP
4x 12 HP
1x 14 HP
Novice Crusher (Boss) has 25 HP, 12 AC but he wasn't pulled into combat in this picture.

Encounter Data: Inside the Goblin Base

This is the first area where we're seeing a majority of 15 HP on non-boss Goblins, and at least one 30+ HP on a boss. Their AC fluctuates based on their role.

• Sharp-eyes, Three, One - 15 HP, 9 AC

• Novice Muzul, Mrak (Shield) - 15 HP, 14 AC

• Novice Greez - 12 HP, 8 AC

• Lookout Nrog, Trinza (melee) - 16 HP, 12 AC

• Lookout Tizg, Fezk (archers) - 13 HP, 9 AC

• Novice Skrut (Boss) - 35 HP, 13 AC

• Rozzak (Boss) - 24 HP, 16 AC

This looks not horrible by Larian standards. But I still trust b*lgians to fuck this up.
In D:OS2 chapter 3 fish market merchants could probably wipe out Elite Magical Prison Guards in chapter 1.

Reinhardt

Arcane
in old games mobs didn't wake up each other after sleep spell
"the mobs had bad AI and I liked it that way"
um, ok
I'm sure they'll implement an easy mode for you
Yea, I'm arguing that the game is easy, and your response is that I want easy mode did they dropped you on the head as a child?
let me guess, you think an enemy with infinite HP that does nothing is the ultimate challenge right?

Mobs in BG III have bloated hp compared to older titles, so that's your thing, not mine.
And how much hp they have exactly? Especially compared to older titles.
jDmOdZf.png

Encounter Data: Outside the Grove Gates

Encounter Data: Blighted Village Ambush

Encounter Data: Windmill

Not all stats here, but ones that stand out (especially our first 15 HPs)

Encounter Data: Goblin Village

Obviously too many goblins here to do the same thing. I've grabbed a couple different characters

Also, note the distribution of Goblin HPs outside the Goblin Village

# HP
3x 8 HP
3x 10 HP
1x 11 HP
4x 12 HP
1x 14 HP
Novice Crusher (Boss) has 25 HP, 12 AC but he wasn't pulled into combat in this picture.

Encounter Data: Inside the Goblin Base

This is the first area where we're seeing a majority of 15 HP on non-boss Goblins, and at least one 30+ HP on a boss. Their AC fluctuates based on their role.

• Sharp-eyes, Three, One - 15 HP, 9 AC

• Novice Muzul, Mrak (Shield) - 15 HP, 14 AC

• Novice Greez - 12 HP, 8 AC

• Lookout Nrog, Trinza (melee) - 16 HP, 12 AC

• Lookout Tizg, Fezk (archers) - 13 HP, 9 AC

• Novice Skrut (Boss) - 35 HP, 13 AC

• Rozzak (Boss) - 24 HP, 16 AC

This looks not horrible by Larian standards. But I still trust b*lgians to fuck this up.
In D:OS2 chapter 3 fish market merchants could probably wipe out Elite Magical Prison Guards in chapter 1.
So really just like wotr? Random demon beggar from chapter 4 we fight in random encounters could destroy crusade and conquer kingdom for himself instead of being abused in abyss.

CodexTotalWar

Learned

This is outdated statistics from October 2020 - Larian did make them closer to the monster manual upon getting feedback on that.

For example, for the Grove Gates encounter, the base Goblins (most numerous, called "Trackers" in BG3) now have 7 HP and 13 AC (with no shield), like in the 5E Monster Manual, same with Goblin Boss at 21 HP (same amount in the book). The special types like Brawler and Booyagh (Larian creations) remain a bit tougher, but IMO that's fine.

ijylm96.jpeg

Honestly though, if the complaint is that Magic Missiles is too impactful at the EA levels (1-4), increased enemy HP actually works to solve that. Bringing the base Goblin HP back down to 7 means a level 1 magic missile will almost always one-shot them.

Sunri

Liturgist

This is outdated statistics from October 2020 - Larian did make them closer to the monster manual upon getting feedback on that.

For example, for the Grove Gates encounter, the base Goblins (most numerous, called "Trackers" in BG3) now have 7 HP and 13 AC (with no shield), like in the 5E Monster Manual, same with Goblin Boss at 21 HP (same amount in the book). The special types like Brawler and Booyagh (Larian creations) remain a bit tougher, but IMO that's fine.

ijylm96.jpeg

Honestly though, if the complaint is that Magic Missiles is too impactful at the EA levels (1-4), increased enemy HP actually works to solve that. Bringing the base Goblin HP back down to 7 means a level 1 magic missile will almost always one-shot them.

Underdark is level 5/6 location and magic missile still are good enough for most encounters because they always hit anyway I don't really care about those hp nerfs this is casual game for co-op dos babies and old fags that are too slow for rt combat so that's good for them.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Did they raise the level cap? I only played the EA version at launch but I vaguely remember the level cap being 4 back then.

Reinhardt

Arcane

ijylm96.jpeg

Underdark is level 5/6 location and magic missile still are good enough for most encounters because they always hit anyway I don't really care about those hp nerfs this is casual game for co-op dos babies and old fags that are too slow for rt combat so that's good for them.
Said retard while running around the table.

Sunri

Liturgist

ijylm96.jpeg

Said retard while running around the table.

Yea thats the problem i don't even need to use my special tactics in DoS III i just press my magic missile button

Saravan

Savant

ijylm96.jpeg

Yeah man RT combat is so fast paced, it's just like StarCraft where I ask my opponent to pause the game so I can move my marines to the right before the lurker hits them and then at the same time I que up a scan and move my wraiths forward. Don't forget that I quicksaved before seeing my opponent and asked him to reload the game so I could make sure to stim up my marines before the fight, just like fast-paced RT combat.

Codex Year of the Donut
we get it, you rest spam

Sunri

Liturgist
we get it, you rest spam

Yes I use game mechanics complain to Swen that he put camp rations that weight nothing everywhere, maybe he should learn a thing or two from pathfinder devs

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
So really just like wotr? Random demon beggar from chapter 4 we fight in random encounters could destroy crusade and conquer kingdom for himself instead of being abused in abyss.
It would bother me more, but I'm busy wondering why a DEMON is counting on some CHARITY in the plane of absolute chaos and EVIL.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
something tells me the devs never wanted to make a realtime game but were forced to by the publisher

I believe that Swen said it in a CDC(not sure)

other D&D edition?

Magic missile is merely d4+1 damage / missile. At low levels(1~6), 3*d4+1 isn't enough to kill any serious threat. In fact, at this levels, unless you are rest scumming, you as a magic user will use more your slingshot, crossbow or whatever.

magic missile is one of the best damaging spells for a mage in BG2

It isn't. And come on, in BG2 you can fight really powerful enemies where magic missile does no damage. You are far more useful using charm person, armor, grease, sleep, and so on over any damaging spell. And for damaging spells, Burning Hands is way better.

Both KM and WotR have Zimbabwe levels of inflation in all aspects, HP

Wrong.
The unique enemy which really bloated hp is Spawn of Rovagug. And it makes sense. He is the "child" of the God of destruction.

wotrannies will complain about "HP bloat" then go back to playing this

A lot of people criticized the bloat of PF:WoTR. Even I who liked the game criticized it and saw multiple people abandoning the game in chapter 4 in WoTR thread. So, no, bloat is not OK in WoTR.

And as I've said, I wish for a less extreme epic AP next to be adapted. I mean, Kingmaker was already very "epic". You become a king, fight a lich and his undead cyclops army in mid of the game and can even destroy a demigod living sun. WoTR picked this already high level adventure and doubled it. So you can even reach lv 40 in the game.

is counting on some CHARITY in the plane of absolute chaos and EVIL

Probably because midnight isles are a place who received lots and lots of outsiders.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Probably because midnight isles are a place who received lots and lots of outsiders.
Yeah. And most of them evil. And the rest has no reason to take pity on a creature of pure chaos and evil.

tossed_justinsweet_aduntratto.jpg

Hello!? This is a DEMON INVASION GAME!!! I should be scared od demons! Not pay them 5 copper coins for a backstreet blowjob!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom