Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Community Update #18: Baldur's Date - August 31st

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Sure but if you make them kneel, they can rest on one of their knees and feel a little comfy while if you make them bow you ensure they ruin their back a little more each time.

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
Are you guys talking about sex or what?
No (it's slightly related to sex), but Ketheric Thorm says "bow" 3 times in a row in the trailer, forcing an adult (me) to possibly think a little too hard about that word.
This results in the wording being suboptimal in this case, which needs improvement by offering an alternative word like "kneel"(obviously).
:popcorn:

Delterius

Arcane
Are you guys talking about sex or what?
maybe?
Japanese-Bowing-Etiquette-and-Information.png

All you need to know:

From the logos, to the music, to the themes and writing... It's like we went from something deep and beautiful to some parody of depth and beauty, except the parody takes itself seriously and can't ever seem to stfu.

I hate many modern RPG studios for the low quality of their product, but Larian has a special place in my hate, just because they make such a mockery of the medium.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
All you need to know:

From the logos, to the music, to the themes and writing... It's like we went from something deep and beautiful to some parody of depth and beauty, except the parody takes itself seriously and can't ever seem to stfu.

I hate many modern RPG studios for the low quality of their product, but Larian has a special place in my hate, just because they make such a mockery of the medium.

This is a poor comparison because the BG3 trailer is not the intro.

Also Baldur's Gate was never deep or beautiful. It was a fun fantasy adventure for teens in the 90s. It's not the 90s anymore and that style does not have the appeal for today's youth, much like how the 60s looked terribly old-fashioned to kids of the 90s.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
All you need to know:

That Black Isle Logo gives me PTSD, I had a shitty computer and that video used to hang / freeze and the audio would repeat over and over.

All you need to know:

This is a poor comparison because the BG3 trailer is not the intro.

Also Baldur's Gate was never deep or beautiful. It was a fun fantasy adventure for teens in the 90s. It's not the 90s anymore and that style does not have the appeal for today's youth, much like how the 60s looked terribly old-fashioned to kids of the 90s.

Baldur's Gate reinvigorated DnD in late 90s, and thus brought a ton of depth to gaming. And it was absolutely beautiful (given the technical constraints of the time). Stop polluting the history of gaming, Shitmaker-lover.

Stop polluting the history of gaming, Shitmaker-lover.

Don't want anyone horning in on your territory, eh Copey?

You mean driving you, NJCluck and Zoinks Doink of Banville to tears? :smug:

Besides, his point was that times and tastes change. It has nothing to do with the history of gaming, you retard. It's a statement about the current and future state of affairs.

So you would insist that 50 Shades of Grey is just as good as Shakespeare, cause "muh times changed"? Yeah.... no.

something deep
Last book I read ? Milady let me tell about an actual mind-opening experience.
Have you ever quelled a whole village of xvarts per chance ?

Nice strawman there. I can guarantee I've read more books than you and your mother combined. Above, however, I was referring to the depth of gameplay. BG re-popularized DnD in the late 90s, which has a lot more depth than the other RPG systems of the time. Check and mate.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I didn't mean to insult your intelligence PorkyTheScholar.
Talking about depth of gameplay specifically :
Have you ever quelled a whole village of xvarts per chance ?

I like BG but to pretend it was deep on any level is fallacious at best.
It has less depth of gameplay than the M&M titles, in which you can at least have some variation in your party composition, which I believe is key for party based hack n slashers. To take but an example.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
BG1 had depth of content, but not depth of gameplay.

You may not have had many mage duels, and the character build options were limited to say the least, but there was lots of content to explore, and at least some replayability - due to the reputation system, the variety of NPCs, and NPC permadeath.

I think most users on this forum who played it through once have played it at least one more time, and I think few players who've done that have seen literally every piece of content the game had to offer. That's depth in its own way.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Content was broader than deep I'd say.
I think BG1 was, understandably so, a ground to build upon, and build upon BioWare and Black Isle did.

And to clearly state my position, I think BG1, despite its lack of depth, and its bastard design etc, is still to this day a very fun game to play and replay through.

You are missing the point, MajorMace. BG used DnD and all that comes with that (thac0, AC, saving throws, attacks per round, specialization, die rolls, etc). Mechanically this was way more complex than most of the common RPG systems in late 90s. Did BG invent DnD? No. But again, it popularized it in late 90s to a level unprecedented before then. it brought depth to the masses, say it with me.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I swear the music that plays whole you are exploring is something out of DOS2. Considering how good the sound track was in the BG series, its a fucking travesty that Larian instead of elevating their game to match the greatness of the previous titles, is lowering BG3 to the shit level of the DOS series.

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nah, it’s more like Fallout 4 for me — getting away too far from the Bethesda’s magnum opus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom