Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Drakortha

Liturgist
Hey Drakortha,

You made your point.

Now shut the fuck up.

Thanks,

- Every other human being on planet earth
No, I haven't made my point enough.

There are still plenty of faggots in here who think BG3 is revolutionizing the genre because they were told that by PCGAMER or IGN or some Youtube shill.

Quite clearly these fags need further education.

Last edited:
56IPxKT.png

i feel sorry for the rest of the camp inhabitants for i will dig deep inside Karlach's muscular tomboy pussy every night to sate her need for sex and all their hear will be animalistic moans, and i will thrust ever deeper for every redditnigger who wants her to be their mommy when all she needs is to be powerfucked by a strong Human Male Paladin, like me.

:positive:

cpmartins

Cipher
Hey Drakortha,

You made your point.

Now shut the fuck up.

Thanks,

- Every other human being on planet earth
No, I haven't made my point enough.

There are still plenty of faggots in here who think BG3 is revolutionizing the genre because they were told by PCGAMER or IGN or some Youtube shill.

Quite clearly these fags need further education.
Gotta be honest, it is revolutionizing the genre by catering to every sexual fetish imaginable. No matter how disgusting, degenerate or subversive, they got you covered!

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I'm going to slay Jaheira like the mutt half-breed she is. I'm talking murder in the Realms.

She may have miraculously survived the Nashkel Mines, the Bandit Camp, the Cloakwood, the Iron Throne, the Candlekeep Catacombs, Durlag's Tower, the Isle of Balduran, the Confrontation with Sarevok, Irenicus' Base, the dangers of Athkatla and the surrounding areas to include vampires, dragons, liches, and beholders, Spellhold, the Underdark with the dangers of the Drow of Ust'Natha, Illithids, Ulitharids, an Elder Brain, Elder Orbs, Hive Mothers, and a Silver Dragon, the Cleansing of Bodhi's Lair, a reckoning and goodbye to her Harper friends, the Final Confrontation with Irenicus in Suldenessallar and in Hell, the Watcher's Keep with its Helmite cultists, seasoned adventurers sealed by ancient magics, elemental monstrosities, devils and demons in wild magical rooms, vampire Illithids, demilich, a Githyanki war party, and Demogorgon the Prince of Demons, and the Struggle with the Five most powerful Bhaalspawn, culminating in an epic clash for the metaphysical control of the Throne of Bhaal before starting a fulfilling life rearing her multiple children.

But she's going to die to a character who was level 1 a couple weeks or so before killing her.

iu

That look of defiance and will to power will not survive a man with a tadpole in his brain.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Gotta be honest, it is revolutionizing the genre by catering to every sexual fetish imaginable. No matter how disgusting, degenerate or subversive, they got you covered!
Larian caters to the exact same people who don't want to buy a carton of eggs or meat unless it says "cruelty free" on the front, and are more than happy paying twice as much for it regardless of the portion sizes or quality while the rest of us just want affordable eggs and meat and to eat good.

BG3 is crunch free, everyone. Gaming is saved!

Last edited:

Drakortha

Liturgist
This game should have been huge, and I mean that truly. This should have been the unprecedented release of the decade. It's supposed to be the sequel to one of the most beloved cRPG's of all time.

Instead the only thing that's huge about it is it's marketing that is desperately trying to fool you into thinking that every human on the planet needs to experience such a masterpiece and you can't miss out, and that this game is much bigger than it really is, and that Larian is much better than what they really are.

Only 5 days left before the illusion ends and you all realize you got hyped for Original Sin 3.

Last edited:

Kiste

Augur
Every now and then I think maybe Drakortha is right and the hobby has passed me by.
There seems to be at least one perverted coprophile on some of the bigger dev teams who sneaks shit-related stuff into games. IIRC, World of Warcraft has a handful of quests that has you sifting through piles of shit and pick nuts and stuff from the excrement. Every expansion has like two of those. I'm sure there is some asshole on the WoW dev team who is furiously masturbating to the idea that he just made a million people dig through shit.

Elthosian

Arcane
"I'MMMMMMM SOOO CONCERNNNNEEEDDDD!!!!!"

Late Bloomer this your video?

I don't even care if he likes the game or not, but his entire argument is retarded to the bone.

Well I had no high hopes for this one, someone that name themself "Based" you know they are already neck deep in retardation.

Went in expecting awful but the first complain being the level cap surpassed my expectations.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What is so good about schedules? Are you one of those dudes that liked following oblivion npcs and admiring their day to day activities? Did that make it a good game? Was it better to invest in that other than have non-linear quests and actual roleplaying?

Compare it to pathfinder games. Npcs had static locations and only moved if it was scripted by some quest or event. Was it a better or worse rpg than oblivion, where every single character followed a daily routine but provided nothing of interest or consequence?

NPC schedules has always been BS nobody cares about. First game that hyped it was Shenmue I think? And then for many years studios like Bethesda did the same shit and hyped it.

It is literally a waste of resources to have every single npc character have a schedule and move around the city. I would much rather have reactivity in an rpg that such crap - the single biggest selling point being hyped on this game. I would wager this is one of the things BG3 is doing right.

BG3 seriously lacks emergent gameplay, and only gives you the illusion of choice. It's much more on rails than you think. Nothing happens without the developers and writers say-so. That is just boring and regressive when we've had the possibility for much more for years now, but problem is we have a gaming public who are accustomed to games not innovating and only reaching for the status quo, and developer crunch is the boogey man.

That is what we are getting at, this might be one of the least linear rpgs ever developed

What? Lol no. It’s “paint this map then move on to the next one”. Odds are you will rarely if ever return to a map once you’re done with it. Much like BG1 (except for the city). You also won’t have access to new maps before completing old ones. From playing the EA it seems completely adherent to the Larian formula in this regard: a lot of non-linearity in terms of secret-finding and how you tackle a map, but otherwise linear progression and overall structure.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
This game should have been huge, and I mean that truly. This should have been the unprecedented release of the decade. It's supposed to be the sequel to one of the most beloved cRPG's of all time.
BG3 is supposed to be the successor to the Bioware Baldur's Gate games, and it seems to have achieved this in its story-related aspects, though by contrast the gameplay should be far better, considering that Bioware's execrable RTwP system has been replaced with proper turn-based, tactical combat, while exploration will probably be improved by the shift away from an isometric perspective. :smug:

How is the combat compared to TOEE?
The more proper comparison for combat would be to Solasta, since both games rely on the ruleset for "D&D 5th edition".

Pizzashoes

Scholar
The "Larian formula" for DOS2 meant leveling up rendered so called and colored "legendary" items worthless. With allegedly nine of these items carefully hidden, there may be significant incentive to explore the map and then come back and continue exploring. Exploring again and reconquering doesn't fit with the Larian formula at all. But legendary to me evokes the items from the 90s and 2000s, orange items from Diablo and WoW, Carsomyr, FoA, Foebane, etc. Items so powerful they create builds around them. Will we see that? Not based on what we've seen.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
though by contrast the gameplay should be far better, considering that Bioware's execrable RTwP system has been replaced with proper turn-based, tactical combat
True. Even though it is 5E, it's not hard to make combat better than window selecting a bloated 6-characater party and mobbing enemies to death, which was all that you needed for 90% of BG1&2 fights.
The more proper comparison for combat would be to Solasta, since both games rely on the ruleset for "D&D 5th edition".
Yep. And Solasta fell into the kit game trap. They did a watered-down main campaign and expect people to mod in actually interesting stories. Sort of like NWN.

A missed opportunity imo.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Drakortha not realizing he's the only simulation-fag among story- and combat-fags, poor guy will go mad over things nobody cares about

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
What? Lol no. It’s “paint this map then move on to the next one”. Odds are you will rarely if ever return to a map once you’re done with it. Much like BG1 (except for the city). You also won’t have access to new maps before completing old ones. From playing the EA it seems completely adherent to the Larian formula in this regard: a lot of non-linearity in terms of secret-finding and how you tackle a map, but otherwise linear progression and overall structure.
Reactivity (and intra-map nonlinearity) alone is a pretty big deal. How many Biowhore fake choice games have we suffered through? Or games that just gave you the stat check win button just to make you feel like you did something?

With a AAA game giving reactive RPG design this kind of visibility, we may just consider it a win and maybe we can nudge the market on plot non-linearity next.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm going to slay Jaheira like the mutt half-breed she is. I'm talking murder in the Realms.

She may have miraculously survived the Nashkel Mines, the Bandit Camp, the Cloakwood, the Iron Throne, the Candlekeep Catacombs, Durlag's Tower, the Isle of Balduran, the Confrontation with Sarevok, Irenicus' Base, the dangers of Athkatla and the surrounding areas to include vampires, dragons, liches, and beholders, Spellhold, the Underdark with the dangers of the Drow of Ust'Natha, Illithids, Ulitharids, an Elder Brain, Elder Orbs, Hive Mothers, and a Silver Dragon, the Cleansing of Bodhi's Lair, a reckoning and goodbye to her Harper friends, the Final Confrontation with Irenicus in Suldenessallar and in Hell, the Watcher's Keep with its Helmite cultists, seasoned adventurers sealed by ancient magics, elemental monstrosities, devils and demons in wild magical rooms, vampire Illithids, demilich, a Githyanki war party, and Demogorgon the Prince of Demons, and the Struggle with the Five most powerful Bhaalspawn, culminating in an epic clash for the metaphysical control of the Throne of Bhaal before starting a fulfilling life rearing her multiple children.

But she's going to die to a character who was level 1 a couple weeks or so before killing her.

iu

That look of defiance and will to power will not survive a man with a tadpole in his brain.
You have to give them credit for portraying her with the classic 90s-sexbomb eyebrows :lol:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Drakortha not realizing he's the only simulation-fag among story- and combat-fags, poor guy will go mad over things nobody cares about
I actually like simulationism in games quite a bit myself. But I've played RPGs without schedules a lot longer, and so I don't consider it a necessary feature in them. Especially in a game series that's never had much simulationism.

It's like going to a chess forum and complaining about the latest release of Chessmaster, shouting that the chess pieces should all have backstories, fully rendered 3D characters and take bathroom breaks because it's the current year. You're just going to get strange looks and maybe one guy who pats you on the back because he hates the franchise or whatever (Latebloomer).

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I consider them nice to haves. If they are there, great, if not, then I don't mind either

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom