Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Drakortha not realizing he's the only simulation-fag among story- and combat-fags, poor guy will go mad over things nobody cares about
You're still not getting it.

I want all of the above. Story, Combat, and Simulation. A big release like BG3 shouldn't be compromising on anything. They certainly have the budget to do it, but nobody expects devs to work hard anymore.

This is what you all want, this is what you get. A big pile of SHIT!
We get a game that caters to story- and combat-fags. Simulations-fags get rekt because nobody cares about their stuff and they have The Sim if they need it

Ultima 7 was a dead end however well it was received at the time.

Readher

Savant
Drakortha not realizing he's the only simulation-fag among story- and combat-fags, poor guy will go mad over things nobody cares about

I want all of the above. Story, Combat, and Simulation. A big release like BG3 shouldn't be compromising on anything. They certainly have the budget to do it, but nobody expects devs to work hard anymore.

If Larian did all of that, Swen would probably have assassins after him, since it could cause an industry crash. Look at how long Bethesda is in the business, as much as their writing and RPG mechanics suffer over time, they're still pretty much unrivaled in the simulation aspect (as far as RPG-like games go) and no one even tried to copy them, let alone surpass them. Easier to just shit out linear moviegames with easy to market graphics, written by Hollywood rejects.

Shaki

Arbiter
There is nothing nonlinear, reactive, or revolutionary here, you move from map to map, choose between x or y, and get some different voice lines depending on your class/race/choices. It's Bioware v2, same shit just more bloated.

get some different voice lines depending on your class/race/choices
There is nothing nonlinear, reactive…

You are retarded.
I would like to see Larianfags actually playing PnP, it would be hilarious

But you already described it yourself:
There is nothing nonlinear, reactive, or revolutionary here, you move from event to event, choose between x or y, and get some different voice lines depending on your class/race/choices.
Great, so then if fluff lines and a/b choices are what you judge as a great reactivity and nonlinearity, then 99% of RPGs made in the last 3 decades were nonlinear and reactive - so where is the revolution, Larianfag? You're literally making my point for me, dumbfuck

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Drakortha what RPGs do you play? I'd love to check something revolutionary, all I play is just well known gameplay since 80/90s (except perhaps The Void if you count it) and I'm rooting for something new.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

If Larian did all of that, Swen would probably have assassins after him, since it could cause an industry crash. Look at how long Bethesda is in the business, as much as their writing and RPG mechanics suffer over time, they're still pretty much unrivaled in the simulation aspect (as far as RPG-like games go) and no one even tried to copy them, let alone surpass them. Easier to just shit out linear moviegames with easy to market graphics, written by Hollywood rejects.
Bethesda attempted simulation with Oblivion, but Skyrim is completely devoid of it, they decided to abandon simulation and do open world story focused games.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Drakortha what RPGs do you play? I'd love to check something revolutionary, all I play is just well known gameplay since 80/90s (except perhaps The Void if you count it) and I'm rooting for something new.
There is nothing revolutionary, sorry. There hasn't been for almost 2 decades. Everyone who was ambitious about making next level RPG's has long left the industry and are working in more respectable industries.

Video game development is an industry for cheaters and other assorted scum of the earth. Studio directors are a whole other beast. Swen is a sociopathic maniac. He does what he does not because he's genuine but because it's learned behavior that's rewarding to him. You buy into his act, so he is encouraged to go further with it. Why do you think he inevitably put on the armor?

Do the whole world a favor and stop supporting and playing games.

Konjad

Patron
Bethesda attempted simulation with Oblivion, but Skyrim is completely devoid of it, they decided to abandon simulation and do open world story focused games.
Sales proved them right there
Both Oblivion and Skyrim sold extremely well, it's the more action oriented gameplay that made them such a success. Regardless of their stories and simulation, if they had combat of Morrowind they would sell like Morrowind.

Kiste

Augur

Oh boy, here we go again. Round 32904212084023 of Drakortha whinging that BG3 is not precisely the type of game he wants it to be, i.e. some imaginary be-all-end-all of CRPGs that fullfills his every wet dream. Waaah, waah, wahh!

crybaby3twc43.png

What a fucking baby.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Great, so then if fluff lines and a/b choices
Again, I already said the reactivity was beyond fluff lines. E.g., being a Drow lets you potentially bypass combat in the abandoned village. And you can also just shapeshift into a Drow using magic. That's not fluff. Fluff is "Hello, <insert race>." with nothing more beyond that.

And it's beyond a/b choices since there are variant choices within the choices and the option of not choosing anything at all.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

You really have no idea about what it takes to produce a game. "I want it all!!!" Will be a 10 years dev period then even with a big team. Atleast if you want it to be good (unlike Oblivion's "simulation")

There's a reason AAA studio's are crying about Larian.

afbeelding.png

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Has there been any rpg with as much potential reactivity as BG3? Of course the game is not out and we dont know how much there really is, but all things point to massive amounts of variation and reactivity to player choices.

I remember a few years back, C&C was all the rage over on the codex, with AoD being a standout for praise.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
You really have no idea about what it takes to produce a game. "I want it all!!!" Will be a 10 years dev period then even with a big team. Atleast if you want it to be good (unlike Oblivion's "simulation")

afbeelding.png
Yes. And the fact that devs are crying about it proves it's disruptive tot he market, and thus "revolutionary" - even though I really don't think being revolutionary matters all that much to players.

I just want to play a fun RPG.

Drakortha

Liturgist

afbeelding.png
Unlike you, I don't buy into this bullshit "narrative" where Larian is some outlier in a garbage industry. Because in reality it's the exact opposite.

But good job being a useful tool to them by sharing their bought and paid for marketing. Do you get incentives for shilling their products?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Has there been any rpg with as much potential reactivity as BG3? Of course the game is not out and we dont know how much there really is, but all things point to massive amounts of variation and reactivity to player choices.

I remember a few years back, C&C was all the rage over on the codex, with AoD being a standout for praise.

Love them or hate them, the Owlcat Pathfinder games do have a lot of reactivity.

They are probably the closest I can think of in the last few years.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
But good job being a useful tool to them by sharing their bought and paid for marketing. Do you get incentives for shilling their products?
Wait, you're not getting paid like the rest of us here? Damn, all that posting and its for nothing

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

afbeelding.png
Unlike you, I don't buy into this bullshit "narrative" where Larian is some outlier in a garbage industry. Because in reality it's the exact opposite.

Friend you're the best marketing tool Larian could ever hope for, keep shilling for BG3 here!

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Has there been any rpg with as much potential reactivity as BG3?
Arcanum, but as I said, Troika was a small developer that failed not long afterward, so it's not like they were in a position to set a standard.

Instead, we had games like Dungeon Siege and later Oblivion and Dragon Age setting the standards.

Even Troika itself abandoned isometric RPGs with Bloodlines and that was that.

Shaki

Arbiter
Great, so then if fluff lines and a/b choices
Again, I already said the reactivity was beyond fluff lines. E.g., being a Drow lets you potentially bypass combat in the abandoned village. And you can also just shapeshift into a Drow using magic. That's not fluff. Fluff is "Hello, <insert race>." with nothing more beyond that.
And again, we had same stuff nearly 3 decades ago where for example being a female could let you skip certain combats or advance certain quests by sleeping with guys. This is nothing new and revolutionary.

As long as regardless of your choices you still end up going through exactly same maps, exactly same dungeons, and only things that change are dialogues, and maybe you can skip one of filler combat encounter, or avoid a skillcheck by using race/gender/class option, or maybe fighters in encounter are either faction a or b depending on your previous choice, it's nothing new. It was done hundred times before. I don't see anything here that makes the game more reactive or nonlinear than PoE for example, maybe BG3 will have more of the same, but getting 2 cheeseburgers instead of one, is not reinventing cheeseburger, it's just more of the same, and if 1 cheeseburger tasted like shit and you criticized it, but suddenly you treat 2 of the same cheesburgers as a second coming of Christ, you're a hypocrite and not a very smart one - if you criticized Dragon Age or POE, you shouldn't be hyped for BG3.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Love them or hate them, the Owlcat Pathfinder games do have a lot of reactivity.

They are probably the closest I can think of in the last few years.
They have a lot more fake choices, forced failures and the like.

They're everything bad about Bioware games, but with grindy trash mob filler and overly complicated mechanics that break half the time.

They're also worse about giving you NPC choices, since they let you kill them, but make them mandatory for features like in Kingmaker. Sure, you could kill the orc/elf cuck couple, but then you'd lose two kingdom managers.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Yes I'm such a great marketing tool that every Larian fag in this thread wishes I was gone. They think they're on Reddit.com.
Fake news. You're my favorite poster itt.

Where else are we going to find someone who wants BG3 to be Oblivion with "dynamic gay cutscenes"? :lol:

Herumor

Scholar

Friend you're the best marketing tool Larian could ever hope for, keep shilling for BG3 here!
Yes I'm such a great marketing tool that every Larian fag in this thread wishes I was gone. They think they're on Reddit.com.
I'm not even excited for this game or buying it without playing first, but you remind me of the tranny discord autists that spam 4chan /v/ threads with shitposts on a threadly basis.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom