Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Drakortha

Liturgist
I'm not even excited for this game or buying it without playing first, but you remind me of the tranny discord autists that spam 4chan /v/ threads with shitposts on a threadly basis.
I don't have a Discord.

But well done outing yourself as a fucking Discord cretin, you're probably a massive PEDO FAGGOT, too!

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
And again, we had same stuff nearly 3 decades ago where for example being a female could let you skip certain combats or advance certain quests by sleeping with guys.
Like I said, not from a AAA dev, and not in sheer amount. Even BG2 had that, but it wasn't based on your race or skillchecks, and it was a single choice. (Though frankly, I don't remember if sleeping with Pharie actually did anything.)

This is nothing new and revolutionary.
Oh, so now it needs to be "new" too? Ok, suggest some new features you'd like to have seen in the game. Things that haven't been in any game before. Go on.

As long as regardless of your choices you still end up going through exactly same maps, exactly same dungeons
You don't need to go through the Underdark, so there's a skipped map/dungeon right away.

But as I said, it's not a truly nonlinear game. Most games aren't either.

But even if it were nonlinear, you'd still say it wasn't "new" or "revolutionary", so why even bring it up?

You're just bored and want something to whine about. You and Dorkwratha are two flavors of the same midwit.
I don't see anything here that makes the game more reactive or nonlinear than PoE for example
It's not a boring piece of shit?

Again, if you played the game, you would see it's more reactive than PoE, and a more interesting game too.
I don't see anything here that makes the game more reactive or nonlinear than PoE for example, maybe BG3 will have more of the same, but getting 2 cheeseburgers instead of one, is not reinventing cheeseburger, it's just more of the same, and if 1 cheeseburger tasted like shit and you criticized it, but suddenly you treat 2 of the same cheesburgers as a second coming of Christ, you're a hypocrite and not a very smart one - if you criticized Dragon Age or POE, you shouldn't be hyped for BG3.
Maybe if you weren't too busy spamming run-on sentences to read my posts itt, you'd know that I've criticized BG3 repeatedly.

It has its shortcomings, but they aren't what you're criticizing it for. If you weren't ignorantly repeating the same lame criticisms about it not being "new and revolushunary!!" enough for you and watched some playthroughs on Youtube, you'd know that.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't get what makes this game stand out so much that other devs says it's "rockstar levels of autism". Is it only based on the C&C? It doesn't look that special to me otherwise.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I don't get what makes this game stand out so much that other devs says it's "rockstar levels of autism". Is it only based on the C&C? It doesn't look that special to me otherwise.
It doesn't stand out outside of it's overblown marketing, which is all that is.

It's not special, it's SHIT!

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Love them or hate them, the Owlcat Pathfinder games do have a lot of reactivity.

They are probably the closest I can think of in the last few years.
They have a lot more fake choices, forced failures and the like.

They're everything bad about Bioware games, but with grindy trash mob filler and overly complicated mechanics that break half the time.

They're also worse about giving you NPC choices, since they let you kill them, but make them mandatory for features like in Kingmaker. Sure, you could kill the orc/elf cuck couple, but then you'd lose two kingdom managers.

Kingmaker has a lot of reactivity threaded throughout the game. The ways you solve minor side quests can be referenced in dialogue later, or have an impact on how other quests are resolved.

I do agree you don't get a lot of sway over the game's main path (at least up to the final chapter where your previous choices have a big impact, esp if you end up doing the "secret" chapter), but regardless I enjoyed the stream of reactivity throughout.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
While I'm very excited for BG3 myself I can see how someone could be disappointed that RPGs didn't go down the route of emergent storytelling if that's what you're interested in, there was a period around the mid 00s where that seemed like it might be a real possibility but the industry very much branched in a different direction. It's not really a priority for me personally but hopefully the advances in LLMs and all the AI courses springing up all over the place will mean that those sorts of games get made in the future as well.

Yosharian

Arcane
Voice acting and animation etc are too expensive and old school isometric no-VA RPGs failed because nobody can write anymore

This is what we got, be thankful there's anything at all tbh

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It's not really a priority for me personally but hopefully the advances in LLMs and all the AI courses springing up all over the place will mean that those sorts of games get made in the future as well.
God no, AI-generated content sounds terrible

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Kingmaker has a lot of reactivity threaded throughout the game. The ways you solve minor side quests can be referenced in dialogue later, or have an impact on how other quests are resolved.
Yeah, I guess. IDK, it didn't feel like the reactivity had much point though. It never felt like the devs wanted the player to go through vastly different experiences of the game. It was just a skill check here and there.

There were some good bits early on, like the gnome's ring and whether or not you kept it for the dialog or equiped it, but it didn't actually affect anything. A lot of things are like that. You do things, but they don't really matter. You pass checks, but the change is cosmetic.

E.g., you can get both tribes of whatsits working for you...and it results in barely any change later on. I think you get both of their buildings in the kingdom minigame that doesn't really matter.

Wrathfinder was worse imo, but I never played too far in.

Overall, I would rate Owlcat as closer to Biowarian superficial reactivity than BG3.

Wait. So, you can take a character like Minsc who is ranger and make him a wizard but every9one will react to him like he's a ranger? That's beyond retartet. FFS

And, they are hinting 'promising' a reveal of Boo's so called 'secret'? That is gonna b3 rich and most likely also be retartet.

Seriously, they make dumber than they need to.

Yet, they wont give me a b0obie slider.. but they'll give us a cock and pussy slider. FUKK OFF.

And, no option for rolling because they are anti choice.

I xpect most of their choices in the game to be fake, poorly written, or never the choice I'd want to make.

Hilariously, Larian at one time claimed the game would be 95% dnd compliant. More like 50% compliant if we ar ebeing generous. L0LZA
Boo is probably Minsc's male druid lover who got stuck in hamster form because of some curse or something and you can change him back to human/barbarian by finding some item/spell whatever and watch him plow minsc up his ass in a teary reunion.

edit: maybe the hamster is the druids spirit animal and they used the 'special' form in their sex play and boo got wedged up Minscs ass one night and never was able to change back. To change him back to human form you have to find a petrified nugget of Minsc's turds from 150 years ago or whenever BG2 happened and when Boo munches on it he can turn back into human form.

Last edited:

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
It's not really a priority for me personally but hopefully the advances in LLMs and all the AI courses springing up all over the place will mean that those sorts of games get made in the future as well.
God no, AI-generated content sounds terrible
I'd never want it to replace games with a properly scripted narrative but I'm still interested to see how it could be used in gaming as the technology improves. Stuff like giving in-game factions actual goals that they can achieve independently of your involvement and that evolve depending on your actions, which we can do to an extent now but usually can't be done in very narrative driven games; I'd hope that eventually we could get to a stage where they could do that while allowing dialogue and other faction quests to be adapted in ways that aren't immersion breaking in games with a strong central narrative. I don't think it's something every game has to have but it's still something I'd like to see.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wait. So, you can take a character like Minsc who is ranger and make him a wizard but every9one will react to him like he's a ranger? That's beyond retartet. FFS

And, they are hinting 'promising' a reveal of Boo's so called 'secret'? That is gonna b3 rich and most likely also be retartet.

Seriously, they make dumber than they need to.

Yet, they wont give me a b0obie slider.. but they'll give us a cock and pussy slider. FUKK OFF.

And, no option for rolling because they are anti choice.

I xpect most of their choices in the game to be fake, poorly written, or never the choice I'd want to make.

Hilariously, Larian at one time claimed the game would be 95% dnd compliant. More like 50% compliant if we ar ebeing generous. L0LZA
Boo is probably Minsc's male druid lover who got stuck in hamster form because of some curse or something and you can change him back to human/barbarian by finding some item/spell whatever and watch him plow minsc up his ass in a teary reunion.
I always kill Minsc in my BG playthrough, but feel bad I can't pick up Boo afterwards. I really hope this time I can.

By the way, one of the cut content from BG2 was impregnating Aerie and having a child which was an item in the inventory (you can use cheats to get it, but you can't really do anything with it except throwing it out). Hilarious stuff, wish BG3 had it instead of bear sex.

Barbarian

Arcane
There are already some pretty powerful items listed for the early game(including this "Deathstalker" cloak that was just leaked).

I'm sure the 9 announced "legendary" items will be pretty powerful too. Probably some of them are returning items, maybe carsomyr or some of the other bg2 staples.

jackofshadows

Magister
It doesn't stand out outside of it's overblown marketing, which is all that is.

It's not special, it's SHIT!
Will you stop spamming at last? I guess no one cares since there will be the new thread anyway.

Maybe you enjoy your new role as a lolcow then you do you of cource.

Having day/night cycle would be really nice but we'll see soon enough what're we getting in return. If there's plenty of inctricate implications of what's essentially means manually ending the day (as with Minthara preparing to attack etc) then it'll be alright I'd say.

Harthwain

Magister

I do agree you don't get a lot of sway over the game's main path (at least up to the final chapter where your previous choices have a big impact, esp if you end up doing the "secret" chapter), but regardless I enjoyed the stream of reactivity throughout.
That's pretty much the standard for narrative-heavy games. Can't do much that requires a lot of reactivity that could impact a large portion of the game (or the main plot), because that would require a lot of re-writing. Wasteland 2, for all its fault, shows how content-exclusive reactivity can work. This is why you either get "nothing really changes" or "changes only affect some part of side content".

ba2ce60c0e37cf65949302f2d6c4e31aeca996b5.jpg
Something about the gloss they put on the skin makes all the male characters look very gay. Gonna have to use the age slider on a lot of them, I think.
also clothes and armor looks never used, and too shiny and clean.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Something about the gloss they put on the skin makes all the male characters look very gay. Gonna have to use the age slider on a lot of them, I think.
also clothes and armor looks never used, and too shiny and clean.

Thats an issue with all games. I dont think i have ever seen an rpg that had visual wear and tear on items.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom