Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shaki

Arbiter
And again, we had same stuff nearly 3 decades ago where for example being a female could let you skip certain combats or advance certain quests by sleeping with guys.
Like I said, not from a AAA dev, and not in sheer amount. Even BG2 had that, but it wasn't based on your race or skillchecks, and it was a single choice. (Though frankly, I don't remember if sleeping with Pharie actually did anything.)

This is nothing new and revolutionary.
Oh, so now it needs to be "new" too? Ok, suggest some new features you'd like to have seen in the game. Things that haven't been in any game before. Go on.

As long as regardless of your choices you still end up going through exactly same maps, exactly same dungeons
You don't need to go through the Underdark, so there's a skipped map/dungeon right away.

But as I said, it's not a truly nonlinear game. Most games aren't either.

But even if it were nonlinear, you'd still say it wasn't "new" or "revolutionary", so why even bring it up?

You're just bored and want something to whine about. You and Dorkwratha are two flavors of the same midwit.
I don't see anything here that makes the game more reactive or nonlinear than PoE for example
It's not a boring piece of shit?

Again, if you played the game, you would see it's more reactive than PoE, and a more interesting game too.
I don't see anything here that makes the game more reactive or nonlinear than PoE for example, maybe BG3 will have more of the same, but getting 2 cheeseburgers instead of one, is not reinventing cheeseburger, it's just more of the same, and if 1 cheeseburger tasted like shit and you criticized it, but suddenly you treat 2 of the same cheesburgers as a second coming of Christ, you're a hypocrite and not a very smart one - if you criticized Dragon Age or POE, you shouldn't be hyped for BG3.
Maybe if you weren't too busy spamming run-on sentences to read my posts itt, you'd know that I've criticized BG3 repeatedly.

It has its shortcomings, but they aren't what you're criticizing it for. If you weren't ignorantly repeating the same lame criticisms about it not being "new and revolushunary!!" enough for you and watched some playthroughs on Youtube, you'd know that.
You dipshits are the ones who're constantly hyping it up, "Hurr durr this will revolutionize the RPG genre!". I saw exactly the same type of dumbfuck consoomer Codexer do the exact same thing before, with shit like Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, even PoE, it's always "hurr durr new thing revolutionary". I never claimed it will be completely unplayable dogshit, I just said it's more bloated Bioware game with turn based combat, and so far you didn't say anything that would refute that, other than "BUT DRAGON AGE BORING AND THIS NOT"... but why? Because Larian has such great writing that their "reactive dialogues" and a/b choices are somehow more fun than Biowares? Do they suddenly become good just because there is more of them? Writing was always the lowest point of Larian's games, so that would be a retarded claim. Does the combat make it less boring? Sure, I guess 5E + Larian's barrelmancy is still better than Bioware's dogshit action combat. That's not a high bar.

I don't just whine because I'm bored - unlike majority of permanently butthurt Codexers, I actually enjoy RPGs, even the subpar ones. I even liked Wrathfinder and defended it here a lot, because despite some woke tranny stuff, dogshit filler combat and bad writing, I had fun with exploration, autistic buildfaggotry and figuring out some harder encounters like Playful Darkness. But in BG3, I don't see any redeeming qualities. Larian writing so far was always awful, Larian combat is at best mediocre, buildfaggotry and itemization can't be good because it's 5E, and I don't think having more fluff reactivity than other games, makes up for all that, and somehow will manage to push it from very mediocre to godlike tier.

I didn't play the game yet, because it's not released. I'll play it when it's ready. I already think it won't be great, if I play early access and think its shit, then I probably would never try the full game at all, and Larianfags could forever wave off my criticism by doing the "hurr durr it's just early access, everything is fixed in the full version" thing that I already saw hundreds of times in this thread.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
also clothes and armor looks never used, and too shiny and clean.
Actually they've implemented system which makes armor dirty with time and also bloody. However after playtesters feedback ("thanks" to them yet again) that was very very much toned down to the point I didn't even notice it when was playing recently while waiting for the said system. Will see whether it'll be tuned a bit back.

Last edited:

Shrimp

Liturgist
ba2ce60c0e37cf65949302f2d6c4e31aeca996b5.jpg
Something about the gloss they put on the skin makes all the male characters look very gay. Gonna have to use the age slider on a lot of them, I think.
If I recall correctly at some point during early access they started making your face and armour appear increasingly grimy as you participated in battles, but I think they removed it(?) again after people complained it made their characters look ugly.
Not 100% sure about this one but I feel like I've seen it mentioned somewhere before.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Why do e-celebs get to play early and we get cucked Swen? Fuck you.
Huh? Who's playing early?
Jewtubers are getting review copies today.

And they got their review copies too late, they should have gotten it earlier so that they have more time to review the game. This is already kind of a red flag that there are stuff later in this game that Larian doesn't want people to ask questions about.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Actually they've implemented system which makes armor dirty with time and also bloody. However after playtesters feedback ("thanks" to them yet again) that was very very much toned down to the point I didn't even notice it when was playing recently while wainting for the said system. Will see whether it'll be tuned a bit back.
It looks like the early EA versions started very good and then gradually worsened not thank to the ideas of the developers, but due to these player feedbacks. I hope these EA versions will be still available after the full release.

Shaki

Arbiter
Actually they've implemented system which makes armor dirty with time and also bloody. However after playtesters feedback ("thanks" to them yet again) that was very very much toned down to the point I didn't even notice it when was playing recently while wainting for the said system. Will see whether it'll be tuned a bit back.
It looks like the early EA versions started very good and then gradually worsened not thank to the ideas of the developers, but due to these player feedbacks.
Well yeah, that's what happens when you let reddit develop your game

Rhobar121

Scholar

And they got their review copies too late, they should have gotten it earlier so that they have more time to review the game. This is already kind of a red flag that there are stuff later in this game that Larian doesn't want people to ask questions about.
They have a whole week to do it, the other thing is that I don't believe that 90% of reviewers will even get to the middle of the game.
Larian could give them even a month and it wouldn't change anything.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
It looks like the early EA versions started very good and then gradually worsened not thank to the ideas of the developers, but due to these player feedbacks. I hope these EA versions will be still available after the full release.
It's all the fault of Tuco Benedicto Pacifico he could go to the larian studios but he refused.

Shaki

Arbiter

They have a whole week to do it, the other thing is that I don't believe that 90% of reviewers will even get to the middle of the game.
Cmon, even if they wanted to get to the end, watching 74 hours of cutscenes takes time

Rhobar121

Scholar

Cmon, even if they wanted to get to the end, watching 74 hours of cutscenes takes time
You won't see 174 hours of cutscenes in a single playthrough considering there's probably 3-4+ variance in each scene. Even Final Fantasy has never had so many.

Herumor

Scholar
And they got their review copies too late, they should have gotten it earlier so that they have more time to review the game.
These people supposedly review games for a living, and six days for one game isn't enough for a review? I call bullshit.

Gradenmayer

Learned
While I'm very excited for BG3 myself I can see how someone could be disappointed that RPGs didn't go down the route of emergent storytelling if that's what you're interested in, there was a period around the mid 00s where that seemed like it might be a real possibility but the industry very much branched in a different direction. It's not really a priority for me personally but hopefully the advances in LLMs and all the AI courses springing up all over the place will mean that those sorts of games get made in the future as well.
The AI is already doing emergent story building quite well.

Try NovelAI- if you learn how to configure it properly the output is very good. You need to fill out memory, authors note, lore book and mess around with the AI settings to have it work decently.

Thought it’s subscription based.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
Is there a manual somewhere?
When was the last time you saw something like this?
Arthurian Legends. It is not an RPG, the manual is super short (9 pages total) and only in PDF version, but the developer actually made it. I guess for authentic feel, since the game is very retro.

Field of Glory: Empires is another example. And it is super useful, because it really helps you understand how the game works.

Gradenmayer

Learned
https://www.pcgamer.com/fan-outcry-...of-the-outburst-surpassed-worst-expectations/

afbeelding.png

My weak competition destroys itself. When reviews of BG3 come out it will only get worse for Owlcuck studios.

source.gif

You're next Todd...
Wtf, I thought this was from a year ago, where they did slimy Eula change that ended up killing one of the best mods for the game before they backtracked it.

But they did it again apparently?

Owlcat is retarded. Looks like their warhammer is getting pirated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom