Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shaki

Arbiter
Owlcat is retarded. Looks like their warhammer is getting pirated.
You should pirate everything anyway - games are an art, and the best art is always created by poor and hungry artists, fueled only by passion and autism.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thats an issue with all games. I dont think i have ever seen an rpg that had visual wear and tear on items.
What are you talking about? Did you forget the most forward-thinking ARPG of the 90s:
1690550394622.png

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
https://www.pcgamer.com/fan-outcry-...of-the-outburst-surpassed-worst-expectations/

afbeelding.png

My weak competition destroys itself. When reviews of BG3 come out it will only get worse for Owlcuck studios.

source.gif

You're next Todd...
Wtf, I thought this was from a year ago, where they did slimy Eula change that ended up killing one of the best mods for the game before they backtracked it.

But they did it again apparently?

Owlcat is retarded. Looks like their warhammer is getting pirated.
The difficulty in understanding the Russian is that we do not take cognizance of the fact that he is not a European but an Asiatic and therefore thinks deviously. We can no more understand a Russian than a Chinaman or a Japanese and, from what I’ve seen of them, I have no particular desire to understand them except to ascertain how much lead or iron it takes to kill them.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there a manual somewhere?
1690550488612.png

The difficulty in understanding the Russian is that we do not take cognizance of the fact that he is not a European but an Asiatic and therefore thinks deviously. We can no more understand a Russian than a Chinaman or a Japanese and, from what I’ve seen of them, I have no particular desire to understand them except to ascertain how much lead or iron it takes to kill them.
Tell that to Mutti Merkel, Butin's BFF for over a decade.

Btw, Codex, did you subscribe?

They've added an extra "N" to Onlyfags.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't know the game required a SSD. I haven't really looked at system rquirements before.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This has probably been discussed several times in the thread already, but since I'm playing through DOS2 at the moment, it strikes me that it must have been quite a downgrade for the Larian team to have to shift from the fair degree of virtual world simulation in DOS and DOS2, to the D&D vibe, which to be sure is modestly simulationist in terms of character builds, but hardly at all in terms of world responsiveness (since that was supposed to be taken care of by GMs).

I mean, aren't the build/virtual world systems Larian came up with on their own in DOS/DOS2 just much more juicy and complex and interesting than anything in D&D, especially the highly streamlined 5e? What a downgrade for them it must have been - and what a temptation it must have been to stick in the things they're familiar with (i.e. barrels, in a trope).

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
A perfect example of why the art and atmosphere is all fucked up. This... Uh... Girl...? Has a filthy face in the style of a chimney sweep but also perfectly immaculate salon hair and a freshly dry cleaned renaissance fair shirt. The way everything clashes tonally is nauseating to behold.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
No pre load kind of sucks major ass though.

Means most people probably not even gonna play it on thursday 3rd but friday instead.
thats shit.

Fuck steam and EA

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Means most people probably not even gonna play it on thursday 3rd but friday instead.
thats shit.

Fuck steam and EA
Most working people will really start only playing on the weekend

AwesomeButton

Patron

thats shit.

Fuck steam and EA
Serious? Where did they say this? Won't be much of a problem in my case but yeah it's stupid.

MerchantKing

Learned
I'm going to slay Jaheira like the mutt half-breed she is. I'm talking murder in the Realms.

She may have miraculously survived the Nashkel Mines, the Bandit Camp, the Cloakwood, the Iron Throne, the Candlekeep Catacombs, Durlag's Tower, the Isle of Balduran, the Confrontation with Sarevok, Irenicus' Base, the dangers of Athkatla and the surrounding areas to include vampires, dragons, liches, and beholders, Spellhold, the Underdark with the dangers of the Drow of Ust'Natha, Illithids, Ulitharids, an Elder Brain, Elder Orbs, Hive Mothers, and a Silver Dragon, the Cleansing of Bodhi's Lair, a reckoning and goodbye to her Harper friends, the Final Confrontation with Irenicus in Suldenessallar and in Hell, the Watcher's Keep with its Helmite cultists, seasoned adventurers sealed by ancient magics, elemental monstrosities, devils and demons in wild magical rooms, vampire Illithids, demilich, a Githyanki war party, and Demogorgon the Prince of Demons, and the Struggle with the Five most powerful Bhaalspawn, culminating in an epic clash for the metaphysical control of the Throne of Bhaal before starting a fulfilling life rearing her multiple children.

But she's going to die to a character who was level 1 a couple weeks or so before killing her.

iu

That look of defiance and will to power will not survive a man with a tadpole in his brain.
What you don't like the level 1 archmages and level 1 archdruids?

thats shit.

Fuck steam and EA
Serious? Where did they say this? Won't be much of a problem in my case but yeah it's stupid.
Maybe since it's such a hugely popular game they don't want it datamined before release, + maybe final build isn't up anyway. Swen did say they were working closely with Steam (for support purposes) for the release so i doubt preload was not discussed, especially with such a huge game. Won't be an issue for people with good connections, for me it'll be ~3 hours if the speed is constant.

Shrimp

Liturgist

thats shit.

Fuck steam and EA
So far there's been no official statement about whether or not there will be a preload, but apparently it will get addressed in the final community update next week:

Shaki

Arbiter

thats shit.

Fuck steam and EA

Imagine not having fiber with at least 500Mbps, where the fuck do you all live, Africa? I'm in a middle of nowhere 100 people village in Potatoland, and even I have fucking fiber and will download this shit in max 20 minutes.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

thats shit.

Fuck steam and EA

Imagine not having fiber with at least 500Mbps, where the fuck do you all live, Africa? I'm in a middle of nowhere 100 people village in Potatoland, and even I have fucking fiber and will download this shit in max 20 minutes.

The US has third world internet in many places. I pity the fools. In glorious europe, you have to be true peasant not to have fiber

Last edited:
NPC schedules has always been BS nobody cares about. First game that hyped it was Shenmue I think? And then for many years studios like Bethesda did the same shit and hyped it.

It is literally a waste of resources to have every single npc character have a schedule and move around the city. I would much rather have reactivity in an rpg that such crap - the single biggest selling point being hyped on this game. I would wager this is one of the things BG3 is doing right.
You don't want games to push hardware to it's limits? And no, I'm not talking about unoptimized, bloated textures and effects that melt your 12gb Vram GPU and take up 200gb of hard drive space.

There's so many possibilities for RPG's to be a lot more than what we're getting. Why even be excited about going to the city of Baldur's Gate if it's all static set dressing? I can't for example break into someones house at night while they are sleeping and steal their shit, or assassinate a target by stalking them and waiting for that perfect moment in their daily schedule where they are totally alone, with no witnesses.

BG3 seriously lacks emergent gameplay, and only gives you the illusion of choice. It's much more on rails than you think. Nothing happens without the developers and writers say-so. That is just boring and regressive when we've had the possibility for much more for years now, but problem is we have a gaming public who are accustomed to games not innovating and only reaching for the status quo, and developer crunch is the boogey man.

Drakortha what RPGs do you play? I'd love to check something revolutionary, all I play is just well known gameplay since 80/90s (except perhaps The Void if you count it) and I'm rooting for something new.
There is nothing revolutionary, sorry. There hasn't been for almost 2 decades. Everyone who was ambitious about making next level RPG's has long left the industry and are working in more respectable industries.

Video game development is an industry for cheaters and other assorted scum of the earth. Studio directors are a whole other beast. Swen is a sociopathic maniac. He does what he does not because he's genuine but because it's learned behavior that's rewarding to him. You buy into his act, so he is encouraged to go further with it. Why do you think he inevitably put on the armor?

Do the whole world a favor and stop supporting and playing games.

Basically you're like the NFT boomers who wanted to convince everyone that they would revolutionize videogames, but couldn't tell what exactly they meant, because deep down all they had was a vague promise of something amazing. You might want to go check Star Citizen. It has strategy, simulation, everything. Nobody knows how it's going to work, though.

Shaki

Arbiter
Basically you're like the NFT boomers who wanted to convince everyone that they would revolutionize videogames, but couldn't tell what exactly they meant,

That's literally Larianfags tho, they're the ones screeching for 1000 pages how BG3 will revolutionize the genre, but when pressed for details they shut up and just rate your posts as retarded :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom