Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kiste

Augur
I'm not a contrarian fuck who signals anything. I'm a person who grew up in the 80s and 90s who has opinions based on that because I actually played those games when they were new. Stop being a fag who worships decline, maybe?
So you're a nostalgic fuck with faggy rose-tined glasses.

Zeriel

Arcane
I'm not a contrarian fuck who signals anything. I'm a person who grew up in the 80s and 90s who has opinions based on that because I actually played those games when they were new. Stop being a fag who worships decline, maybe?
So you're a nostalgic fuck with faggy rose-tined glasses.

Nope, you can go back and play those games now and they're just as good. People who claim otherwise are just writing apologetics for modern gaming industry decline. Or so retarded they actually prefer braindead pablum to proper design.

Kiste

Augur
Nope, you can go back and play those games now and they're just as good. People who claim otherwise are just writing apologetics for modern gaming industry decline. Or so retarded they actually prefer braindead pablum to proper design.
Of course you will find those games just as good as you did back then when you're a nostalgic fuck with faggy rose-tined glasses.

Zeriel

Arcane
I hate that modders have to do it, but I hope they do find a way to fix all of Larian's fuckery over time.

The lack of permanence, the broken combat systems, alignment systems degraded to "relationship drama" with your party member's approval, destroying race bonuses+stats, etc.

The story better be damn good for me to overlook how bad the combat and systems will be... But we all know that is some seriously wishful thinking.

Modders tend to add things to a product that people already like, not fix something that people mostly dislike. I would also temper your expectations there because modding for Larian games has generally been almost nonexistent. Despite the tools actually being there, almost no one made stuff for DOS1 or 2. Sure, D&D is more popular, but I doubt we will see any huge mods for BG3.

Sunri

Liturgist
You can also have open relationships, which are open both ways.

Isn't that just NTR with extra steps?

Just think if you were trying to explain yourself to one of the Lords of Salem "No I'm not a witch I just communicate with Satan and perform some minor witchcraft."

Open relationships are not NTR or cucking because there is no expectation of sexual exclusivity. Cheating/being cucked is the act that defines NTR.

At any rate, there's only 1 scene in the game that doesn't involve the player, and that's in the prologue with two characters that you don't even really meet.

If you want to discuss this specifically, we can go shit up the Memoirs thread rather than this one: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/memoirs-of-a-battle-brothel-a-nsfw-cyberpunk-rpg.130459/
Your top 10 favorite ntr games?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Dude, you're talking about games with braindead combat apart from a few mage duels. Sarevok, Firkraag, Kangaax, Irenicus end battle, ToB end battle and Demogorgon. Those are probably the only challenging fights in the entire series.

I agree they were enjoyable, but they were far from flawless, or even "proper design".

Also, the Sandthief's Ring in BG2 had a limitation of one use per rest. It wasn't constant invisibility. That's quite a bit less powerful than a cape that can turn you invisible multiple times per battle. The BG1 version was actually more powerful, since it had multiple charges. You just needed to sell and rebuy it before the charges ran out, but that could cost you tens of thousands of gold each time.

The item in BG2 that offered constant invisibility was the Staff of the Magi, and you needed to beat a room full of high level opponents to get it. Probably higher level than anything in BG3.

Zeriel

Arcane
Dude, you're talking about games with braindead combat apart from a few mage duels. Sarevok, Firkraag, Kangaax, Irenicus end battle, ToB end battle and Demogorgon. Those are probably the only challenging fights in the entire series.

I agree they were enjoyable, but they were far from flawless, or even "proper design".

Also, the Sandthief's Ring in BG2 had a limitation of one use per rest. It wasn't constant invisibility. That's quite a bit less powerful than a cape that can turn you invisible multiple times per battle. The BG1 version was actually more powerful, since it had multiple charges. You just needed to sell and rebuy it before the charges ran out, but that could cost you tens of thousands of gold each time.

The item in BG2 that offered constant invisibility was the Staff of the Magi, and you needed to beat a room full of high level opponents to get it. Probably higher level than anything in BG3.

I don't consider them flawless either. But there is a very definite attitude in games of that era when it comes to "absolute" magical items, and the modern implementation, where it is always these conditional, "balanced" effects. I can tolerate it in MP-centric games because you can understand WHY someone would consider balance important with an economy & PVP and whatever else. But their almost total infiltration into purely singleplayer games can only be seen (by me, anyway) as a worsening of the medium.

Larian is constantly dishing out conflicting informations.

First they claim respec you companions won't influence their background, storywise they will always be a cleric/warlock now they say respec shadowheart or wyll will influnce their dialgoue options and how stories played out.

And they even change the latest community update, first they said the origin characters will romance each other if you don't romance them, than they changed it into npc origin characters won't romance each other.

Feels like the marketing team has no idea what the game is.
That bolded bit doesn't make much sense unless it's a fancy way of saying that "if you change their stats they will fail/succeed in checks they were likely not to".

One thing that gets confusing is that Dark Urge is an origin character with a default look and set backstory, but his looks and stats are customizable.

https://wccftech.com/baldurs-gate-3...m-characters-rule-changes-crossplay-and-more/

You once said you planned to make custom characters as interesting as Origin characters in Baldur's Gate 3, unlike Divinity: Original Sin 2. How did you go about doing that in the final version of the game?

As a custom character in Baldur’s Gate 3, there’s a lot more reactivity based on the identity you’ve built than there was in Divinity: Original Sin 2.

Baldur’s Gate 3 is a game of perspectives, so you can look at the story through the lens of a character you’ve created yourself with an identity and appearance of your choosing, but we also give you some preset characters who come with identities and appearances (which we call Origin characters). With the Dark Urge, we’ve provided an Origin character who you can also customize the identity of. It’s really down to how you’d prefer to play and interact with the characters and the world around you.

It was recently confirmed that it is possible to respec a companion's class. How will that affect their personal storylines, though? For example, I imagine Wyll won't have to deal with Mizora anymore if he's not a Warlock.

The set narrative of the Origin’s story will be the same, even if you respec. Using Wyll as an example, if you make him into a wizard or even a paladin, in his background he’ll always be a Warlock who made a pact with a demon.

The difference narratively is that Wyll would gain the reactivity of the class he’s respecced into – so if he’s a wizard now and you get into a conversation as Wyll, he’ll have dialogue options that reflect that he’s a wizard.

Also

Were you even slightly prepared for the amount of resonance that Druid bear scene got?

We expected it to resonate some, but not this much.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Larian is constantly dishing out conflicting informations.

First they claim respec you companions won't influence their background, storywise they will always be a cleric/warlock now they say respec shadowheart or wyll will influnce their dialgoue options and how stories played out.

And they even change the latest community update, first they said the origin characters will romance each other if you don't romance them, than they changed it into npc origin characters won't romance each other.

Feels like the marketing team has no idea what the game is.
That bolded bit doesn't make much sense unless it's a fancy way of saying that "if you change their stats they will fail/succeed in checks they were likely not to".

One thing that gets confusing is that Dark Urge is an origin character with a default look and set backstory, but his looks and stats are customizable.

https://wccftech.com/baldurs-gate-3...m-characters-rule-changes-crossplay-and-more/

You once said you planned to make custom characters as interesting as Origin characters in Baldur's Gate 3, unlike Divinity: Original Sin 2. How did you go about doing that in the final version of the game?

As a custom character in Baldur’s Gate 3, there’s a lot more reactivity based on the identity you’ve built than there was in Divinity: Original Sin 2.

Baldur’s Gate 3 is a game of perspectives, so you can look at the story through the lens of a character you’ve created yourself with an identity and appearance of your choosing, but we also give you some preset characters who come with identities and appearances (which we call Origin characters). With the Dark Urge, we’ve provided an Origin character who you can also customize the identity of. It’s really down to how you’d prefer to play and interact with the characters and the world around you.

It was recently confirmed that it is possible to respec a companion's class. How will that affect their personal storylines, though? For example, I imagine Wyll won't have to deal with Mizora anymore if he's not a Warlock.

The set narrative of the Origin’s story will be the same, even if you respec. Using Wyll as an example, if you make him into a wizard or even a paladin, in his background he’ll always be a Warlock who made a pact with a demon.

The difference narratively is that Wyll would gain the reactivity of the class he’s respecced into – so if he’s a wizard now and you get into a conversation as Wyll, he’ll have dialogue options that reflect that he’s a wizard.

Also

Were you even slightly prepared for the amount of resonance that Druid bear scene got?

We expected it to resonate some, but not this much.
“Keep in mind that certain Origin stories are closely intertwined with their characters' respective classes. If you’re opting for a non-cleric Shadowheart or a Wyll without his warlock pact, this will undoubtedly influence your roleplay options in dialogues and the overall narrative for these characters. But their stories will instead be yours to create.”

This is what they write in the latest community patch. Based on what they said in the interview if you respec Wyll he won't be "without his warlock pact", he will only get some new reactivity.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

Using Wyll as an example, if you make him into a wizard or even a paladin, in his background he’ll always be a Warlock
hil0Vmg.gif

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
1. Baldur's Gate 2. Everyone gets cucked.

Khalid, if you bang Jaheira.
Jaheira if you bang Viconia.
You if you bang Viconia.
etc. etc...

There's only one non-cucked character in BG2 that I can think of and that's Korgan.

Korgan was based. But I guess he cucked his own father out of a wife by killing his mom during childbirth... Ouch.

Sunri

Liturgist
1. Baldur's Gate 2. Everyone gets cucked.

Khalid, if you bang Jaheira.
Jaheira if you bang Viconia.
You if you bang Viconia.
etc. etc...

There's only one non-cucked character in BG2 that I can think of and that's Korgan.

Korgan was based. But I guess he cucked his own father out of a wife by killing his mom during childbirth... Ouch.
i guess Haer'Dalis can cuck you in bg2 if you romance aerie

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
As well as being a faggot Haer'Dalis tries to cuck CHARNAME not only that he has the AUDACITY to be a bard in my presence.

Instantly killed in creative ways every single playthrough.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
i guess Haer'Dalis can cuck you in bg2 if you romance aerie
And you can cuck him out of Aerie.

Aerie btw gets asshurt if you romance anyone else, and so can Viconia.
Keldorn, an otherwise based Paladin, is by default a cuck. There's literally nothing you or anyone else can do to prevent him from being a cuckhold.
Anomen can cuck himself out of his knighthood.
Edwin, who gets cucked out of his dick.
Cernd, who kind of cucked himself by leaving his wife (for Kivan?) and then ends up a single father.
Xar, who gets cucked by the harpers, who did who knows what to Montaron's body. Those two spent way too much time together is all I'm saying.
Sarevok, who gets cucked out of godhood, and cucked himself out of an Asian gf.
Nallia, who gets cucked out of her estate if the player isn't a fighter.
Valygar, whose crazy mother cucked him out of a normal childhood. And, let's face it, most of us probably killed him for being boring.

And then there's Mazzy Fentan, who - and I struggle to contain my laughter every time I think of this - had her whole party killed in front of her, including her lover, and then had to wait in a cuckshed for someone else to come along and kill the bad guy, and Patrick's ghost - who btw would have been cucked by the Shade Lord, once he took Mazzy to be his consort.

bobocrunch

Educated
I swear that if you'd just read the subreddit you'd think that every single person playing this game is gay AND thirsty as hell.

Wait a minute... What if...

:philosoraptor:
and if you read this thread you'd think everyone is gay and closeted
theyre all fucking gay and annoying & talk too much

maybe were all gay for caring about this shit clearly made for gay people nowadays

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Lmao I just opened the link and got barbarian

hehe, link is broken like that. Just click share and start anew.
It's a really lazy quiz. Every question is just a basic class description.

Compare that to the Daggerfall character creation quiz where you get asked how you evaded bullies who tried to steal a sweet roll from you.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The questions in the quiz are so transparent its hard not to get what you're aiming for

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
the fuck does this mean. that we’ll break companions if we respec them? why even give us the option, then?

IMG-0273.jpg

Yosharian

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom