Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
the fuck does this mean. that we’ll break companions if we respec them? why even give us the option, then?
There was an interview on the last page clarifying this.

Their backstories will never change. They'll get the reactivity in the game for whatever class, but their story will always treat them as what they were written as.

Even if you respec Gale as a fighter, he will still be a mage whenever dealing with his own backstory. Same with Wyll as a warlock.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Conditional effects are almost always lame as hell. And they are everywhere now, mostly because designers are obsessed with "balance".
"Become invisible after you kill a guy" is more fun than "become invisible". Do you disagree? Congratulations, you are wrong.

Raeyn

Literate
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It was also mentioned that two characters are not entirely respeccable and permanently tied to their subclasses for story purposes. No mention if you can still multiclass them though. I'd assume so.
Speculation is that it's Shadowheart and Wyll

soulburner

Cipher
So... what is the general recommendation for the first playthrough to get the best story: origin character, respecced origin character or 100% custom?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
this will be hella confusing for normies
Between multiclassing and respecing, there's all sorts of ways for normies to screw their game up.

I guess BG had dualclassing, but I think most people could realize they messed up when their level 8 mage suddenly lost all of his spells when dualing to fighter, and maybe they put it off until they could understand the mechanic better.

Raeyn

Literate
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So... what is the general recommendation for the first playthrough to get the best story: origin character, respecced origin character or 100% custom?
Game director said custom, so you can learn from the origin characters about their backstory at the intended pace. Said it could be confusing and less desireable to play an origin character first, because it's assumed you already know all their secrets that would be learned from a custom playthrough.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
So... what is the general recommendation for the first playthrough
The general recommendation is:

Don't.

But if you have to, I would saving Origin characters for replay value, and only respec them if you're really bored already or hate their class.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It was also mentioned that two characters are not entirely respeccable and permanently tied to their subclasses for story purposes. No mention if you can still multiclass them though. I'd assume so.

Where was this mentioned? Link please?

Because those two characters were specifically the ones Swen used as examples of characters you could respec and that it would have no effect on the game (i.e. Wyll’s pact would still exist and Shadowheart would still be referred to as a Cleric).

jf8350143

Liturgist
the fuck does this mean. that we’ll break companions if we respec them? why even give us the option, then?
There was an interview on the last page clarifying this.

Their backstories will never change. They'll get the reactivity in the game for whatever class, but their story will always treat them as what they were written as.

Even if you respec Gale as a fighter, he will still be a mage whenever dealing with his own backstory. Same with Wyll as a warlock.
Is it really a clarify when the interview and the community update says complete different things?

The interview says storywise Wyll will always have his pact while the community update states he can be pactless.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Is it really a clarify when the interview and the community update says complete different things?
Not really. That was me being generous (and lazy).
Because those two characters were specifically the ones Swen used as examples of characters you could respec and that it would have no effect on the game (i.e. Wyll’s pact would still exist and Shadowheart would still be referred to as a Cleric).
I would assume the same is true of Gale as a mage.

Astarion and Lae'zel's classes aren't central to their characters though. Probably not Karlach's either.

Raeyn

Literate
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Where was this mentioned? Link please?

https://clips.twitch.tv/DependableFurtiveBananaHassaanChop-flF8PY4LHuzxaH5a ---- "the only things that are actually locked in are the two of the subclasses of our origin characters when you start playing" you're right. i misunderstood him until i just pulled it back up and listened again. that's just at character creation

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Treasures of the Savage Frontier actually is the first game I know that started with romances
Yeah, this has been discussed. It didn't really start a trend though, did it?

Most modern RPG romances are BG2 romances. You get an NPC, some interjections and some NPC quests, followed by a fade to black (or, I guess, bear sex now).

Yosharian

Arcane

IMG-0273.jpg

Yosharian
Yeah this confused me too, from what I gathered speaking to some other people it means that they retain their original story tags but they also gain new ones from their new classes.

It's just described in a fucking retarded and confusing way by the absolute special needs child that wrote this community post.

Regarding the SH/Wyll thing it is really difficult to know for sure what Swen meant by that, it could be that the subclasses are locked until you meet Withers or it could be that they are locked period. Who knows

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
It's just described in a fucking retarded and confusing way by the absolute special needs child that wrote this community post.
It's been said, but it seems like the person writing these has very little idea of what's in the game.

jf8350143

Liturgist

IMG-0273.jpg

Yosharian
Yeah this confused me too, from what I gathered speaking to some other people it means that they retain their original story tags but they also gain new ones from their new classes.

Regarding the SH/Wyll thing it is really difficult to know for sure what Swen meant by that, it could be that the subclasses are locked until you meet Withers or it could be that they are locked period. Who knows
My understanding is that you can't change their subclass if you still makes them cleric/warlock after respec them.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom