Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gradenmayer

Learned
Fucking hell, all the cool class combinations have some sort of redundancy or no-fun-allowed rules.

Just pick shadow monk, Swen even gave it an xcl00sive teleporting attack that never existed in tabletop.
View attachment 39465
Everything is better than the base version of the monk. Only champion is more boring.
Monks got huge buffs by Larian. Extra ki, 1d6 unarmed off the bat, new spells (especially for 4 elements- their spells will level up).

Reinhardt

Arcane
906669584986284034.webp
sdg sorceress?

Got halfway through ToB and decided to roll a new character for fun.

I got a 96.... Maybe I should play another playthrough before Bg3 comes out how many more days do I have? I could do BG1 Just get the tomes and XP cap and then export to BG2.
Not sure what your intentions here are. Why ruin the aftertaste of fine wine with a plate of dung?

the "fine wine" in question. the more i see of bg 1 & 2 the more i realize it's mostly just rose tinted goggle-posting. getting very difficult to take people seriously when they criticize BG3 writing/voice acting as goofy etc. it's like, compared to what? :lol:
lolwut, the protagonist in BG 3 isn't a traditional "Chosen One". You get randomly kidnapped by the Nautiloid along with thousands of other people you find again and again already in Act 1, most of whom have the same parasite as you. You're only special because you were at the wrong spot in the wrong moment, and you're not more important than anyone else with the tadpole in their brain
little do they know we are the Player, with all the capacity for meta knowledge and worst of all (for them), the ability to savescum :positive:

ChildInTime

Savant
Just tried the Early Access version. I'm wondering, what options are you guys using for best anti-aliasing? Everything either looks blurry, or still have aliasing. Should I use DLSS? Kinda looks blurry there too, though :(
DLAA works great, you also need at least 1440p monitor.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Oh boy, Larian have "innovated" the "Doubly-Chosen One".

Mask of the Betrayer, Obsidian Entertainment. You're both the shard bearer/Kalach-Cha and the Spirit-Eater, what are the odds?
If people dislike chosen one stories, they should avoid fantasy
That's only true (maybe) when it comes to high fantasy Tolkien-esque stuff. Since when this is whole fantasy? It's certainly not in literature (there are whole sub-genres of fantasy that usually avoid the theme). It isn't even in games. There are still crpg with stories like: "party of random murder-hobos going on a quest a rampage to gain gold, fame and pussy". In the mainstream crpgs the chosen one theme dominates(?) but since when fantasy=mainstream fantasy computer/console games?

As a side note, I remember people writing that they want more sword & sorcery 15 years ago and we still don't see Conan-like computer RPG. One of closer ones was Battle Brothers and that says something considering it is barely a crpg in the first place.
Most cRPGs are high fantasy though and that's what sells. So, chosen one narratives are here to stay whether you like it or not
They are high fantasy but a high fantasy crpg does not necessary mean a "chosen one" theme. In the mainstream/AAA category it might be prevalent (is it really?) but I don't care about those. Also: write "fantasy CRPG" not just "fantasy" if that's what you mean.
:outrage:

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I went to a party in Ghent once. The guys said everyone's gonna be white there, unlike Brussels. "Just pretend to speak Flemish and they'll let us in." So off we went. We faked our way into the night clubs. Everyone was arabs and turks, like everywhere else in Belgium. That's my memory of Ghent.

rojay

Scholar
So apparently Larian are recommending that if you have the EA version installed you delete all saves and uninstall the game before installing 1.0.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
I went to a party in Ghent once. The guys said everyone's gonna be white there, unlike Brussels. "Just pretend to speak Flemish and they'll let us in." So off we went. We faked our way into the night clubs. Everyone was arabs and turks, like everywhere else in Belgium. That's my memory of Ghent.
Go to the Overpoort

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
dQQ8gew.jpg

We need to resolve that black pirate tavern owner stuff.

First we need to get proper photo of that pirate owner.
Second we need to deliver a copy of that photo to authorities with explanation about why they should arrest that owner. And we should send another copy of that photo to the owner with notice that someone vile informed authorities about her/his crimes, so he/she has time to bail out.
Third hire protection to save us from enraged pirate/authorities before they arrive.
Fourth create a detailed map of representation of genetics where they are living to have proper statistic if pirates are common, and if black pirates are more common than non black pirates.

So which parts of the above map are populated by people that are over 90 percent of black homo sapiens? Drows are drows, thus they should be called drows not blacks.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Modern Fearun is like Brazil. You think they have actual human ethnically homogenous places?
Fuck, lemme check Rime of the Frost Maiden and I guarantee you there's niggers in Icewind Dale now.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Reinhardt

Arcane
Also: write "fantasy CRPG" not just "fantasy" if that's what you mean.
We are in General RPG discussion, so when I say fantasy I obviously mean that, don't be a dunce
EXACTLY because we are in "general rpg" subforum you need to be precise.
What did you expect me to talk about in General RPG about, movie, novels? RPGs you moron
movies and novels are exactly what half of the "games" in this subforum are

Steezus

Savant
Patron

the "fine wine" in question. the more i see of bg 1 & 2 the more i realize it's mostly just rose tinted goggle-posting. getting very difficult to take people seriously when they criticize BG3 writing/voice acting as goofy etc. it's like, compared to what? :lol:

Minsc is the free space on the shit writing bingo card. He was bad back then and will be bad now. Only normies like him.

BG1 in general has always had super wonky writing, especially its cringe humor.

BG2 is much better and I won't accept any slander.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
You know, if they set a module in the "ethnic" parts of FR like Thay or Kara-Tur I very much doubt there'll be random white people NPCs turning up. Just a hunch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom