Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Hermano you better tell me ITT what that ITT of yours means because I swear it is real confusing when you ITT on every other OTT.

ITZ ITT, oy vey
You leave me none the wiser.

Its reddit speak, they loooooove them some acronyms. I'll let you decide on the appropriate level of gay to assign to people who use reddit acronyms to convey their messages. "In This Thread" --> ITT

Last edited:

Larianshill

Arbiter
lolwut, the protagonist in BG 3 isn't a traditional "Chosen One". You get randomly kidnapped by the Nautiloid along with thousands of other people you find again and again already in Act 1, most of whom have the same parasite as you. You're only special because you were at the wrong spot in the wrong moment, and you're not more important than anyone else with the tadpole in their brain
I wouldn't speak so hastily. There's datamined content that might indicate otherwise.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just tried the Early Access version. I'm wondering, what options are you guys using for best anti-aliasing? Everything either looks blurry, or still have aliasing. Should I use DLSS? Kinda looks blurry there too, though :(

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Two days left.

Name checks out...

1690898908613.png

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Oh boy, Larian have "innovated" the "Doubly-Chosen One".

Mask of the Betrayer, Obsidian Entertainment. You're both the shard bearer/Kalach-Cha and the Spirit-Eater, what are the odds?
If people dislike chosen one stories, they should avoid fantasy
That's only true (maybe) when it comes to high fantasy Tolkien-esque stuff. Since when this is whole fantasy? It's certainly not in literature (there are whole sub-genres of fantasy that usually avoid the theme). It isn't even in games. There are still crpg with stories like: "party of random murder-hobos going on a quest a rampage to gain gold, fame and pussy". In the mainstream crpgs the chosen one theme dominates(?) but since when fantasy=mainstream fantasy computer/console games?

As a side note, I remember people writing that they want more sword & sorcery 15 years ago and we still don't see Conan-like computer RPG. One of closer ones was Battle Brothers and that says something considering it is barely a crpg in the first place.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Oh boy, Larian have "innovated" the "Doubly-Chosen One".

Mask of the Betrayer, Obsidian Entertainment. You're both the shard bearer/Kalach-Cha and the Spirit-Eater, what are the odds?
If people dislike chosen one stories, they should avoid fantasy
That's only true (maybe) when it comes to high fantasy Tolkien-esque stuff. Since when this is whole fantasy? It's certainly not in literature (there are whole sub-genres of fantasy that usually avoid the theme). It isn't even in games. There are still crpg with stories like: "party of random murder-hobos going on a quest a rampage to gain gold, fame and pussy". In the mainstream crpgs the chosen one theme dominates(?) but since when fantasy=mainstream fantasy computer/console games?

As a side note, I remember people writing that they want more sword & sorcery 15 years ago and we still don't see Conan-like computer RPG. One of closer ones was Battle Brothers and that says something considering it is barely a crpg in the first place.
Most cRPGs are high fantasy though and that's what sells. So, chosen one narratives are here to stay whether you like it or not

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
There's datamined content that might indicate otherwise.
Go on, spoiler away.
  • Swen leaked in an interview that Dark Urge used to be the default custom protagonist, but was made its own origin after testers complained about forced evil
  • The Dark Urge trailer reveals strong links to the past games, Bhaal and Bhaalspawn
  • Swen leaked that in his Dark Urge playthrough, he attained divinity
  • From this we can conclude the current default protagonist, Tav, who is probably just Dark Urge minus the dark urges, is also Bhaal-adjacent at least, and can go for divinity

MerchantKing

Learned
The singular "they" has been common English form for referring to an individual whose gender is circumstantially unknown or unknowable for quite a while now:
This use of singular they had emerged by the 14th century, about a century after the plural they.[4][5][2] It has been commonly employed in everyday English ever since and has gained currency in official contexts.
Seems like a tranny psyop.

the fuck does this mean. that we’ll break companions if we respec them? why even give us the option, then?

IMG-0273.jpg

Yosharian
Yeah this confused me too, from what I gathered speaking to some other people it means that they retain their original story tags but they also gain new ones from their new classes.

It's just described in a fucking retarded and confusing way by the absolute special needs child that wrote this community post.

Regarding the SH/Wyll thing it is really difficult to know for sure what Swen meant by that, it could be that the subclasses are locked until you meet Withers or it could be that they are locked period. Who knows
I think it just means "we don't really recommend it because we wrote the plot based on their default classes and you're going to lose access to the custom bits, but you can respec the origin companions if you want to have an all-warlock party on your second playthrough or whatever"

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I tried to do that class poll for fun, but it only takes me to the results someone else, when I click the link.

Click on the "share link" button. Highlight the new link that pops up in a window, right click it, and select open link in new tab. That should load up a fresh link. If it doesn't, then open your browser in a private window and try it that way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom