Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I tried to do that class poll for fun, but it only takes me to the results someone else, when I click the link.

Holy fuck, someone posted this ME3 clip on the Larian forum and sitting through it has been almost physically painful (so I'M SHARING).

Some writers seem to be completely impermeable to the concept of "trying too hard". Talk about running a throw-away gag into the ground.

Darth Valer

Literate
lolwut, the protagonist in BG 3 isn't a traditional "Chosen One". You get randomly kidnapped by the Nautiloid along with thousands of other people you find again and again already in Act 1, most of whom have the same parasite as you. You're only special because you were at the wrong spot in the wrong moment, and you're not more important than anyone else with the tadpole in their brain

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
lolwut, the protagonist in BG 3 isn't a traditional "Chosen One". You get randomly kidnapped by the Nautiloid along with thousands of other people you find again and again already in Act 1, most of whom have the same parasite as you. You're only special because you were at the wrong spot in the wrong moment, and you're not more important than anyone else with the tadpole in their brain
Companions can do this tadpole talent tree too, which further proves its not a Chosen One mechanic. You are one of a number of people with this innate ability. Like the Bhaalspawn in BG1. Or like literally any sorcerer in D&D.

Shaki

Arbiter
Oh boy, Larian have "innovated" the "Doubly-Chosen One".

Mask of the Betrayer, Obsidian Entertainment. You're both the shard bearer/Kalach-Cha and the Spirit Eater, what are the odds?
Add another reason to "why MotB is actually not that great".
MotB never had a chance to be great, since it was done in an NWN2 engine. This shit was excruciatingly bad. I hope we'll get a playable remake some day.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Mask of the Betrayer, Obsidian Entertainment. You're both the shard bearer/Kalach-Cha and the Spirit Eater, what are the odds?
MotB never had a chance to be great, since it was done in an NWN2 engine. This shit was excruciatingly bad. I hope we'll get a playable remake some day.
I've had to reload a few times due to fucked AI/pathfinding, and WarlockBuddy is a mandatory mod to play that class, but other than those complaints, the engine didn't bother me.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath

Yes.
Also, it should have been a separate game to begin with.

Terenty

Liturgist
fe3429411ffbdcf60f9671a1a34516a406cb883b.jpg

Sophia Nomvete, fresh from her role in
Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power,
takes on the role of Captain Grisly, a former pirate who retired from a life terrorising the Sea of Swords to become the proud owner of the Blushing Mermaid – one of the roughest taverns in Baldur's Gate.
:nocountryforshitposters:
You can already tell how much cringe her dialogue will contain and how she will most certainly have a fucking heart of gold. Bleh

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Eh so you're going to make the mod?
If it's reasonably easy, sure.
If its reasonably easy, I'll make a mod to have some concentration buffs last until long rest, instead of 8-10 turns. Due to the way how the game shifts from turn based combat to real time exploration, and how you need a moment to read all dialogues, how you do inventory tetris, etc, the time passing for buffs is annoying. It also annoys me in Pathfinder Kingmaker, where you feel the urge to rush from one battle to the next, not even looting or exploring first, to use buffs.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Who cares about the setting, I don't want Jamal and Tyrone in my fantasy game because I'm racist and looking at them disgust me, not because of "muh lore" or some other cope people use to avoid being branded as a bigot by Reddit crowd. Being called racist/bigot/fascist by the rainbow enjoyers, should be treated as a privilege and an honor, in this rotten world.
Is it some kind of hate crime to edit your PnP campaign? As far as I'm aware, it's not. So why are ppl so worried about how someone else wants to play their RPGs?

Gargaune

Arcane

Technically, the PC is "chosen" to become the Spirit Eater because they are the Kalach-Cha, it was a "two birds with one stone" calculation from the party doing the choosing. But tying MotB to the protagonist and events of the NWN2 OC as a direct sequel was a huge detriment to and probably the only major flaw of an otherwise superlative expansion plot. MotB is best enjoyed with the player making up their PC's own backstory and ignoring the few OC references.

That said, I have no inherent problem with the protagonists of BG3's tadpoles being "special." Yes, getting skullfucked by Illithids is a bit of epicly bad luck, but that shit does happen and, presuming that the crew of USS Cthulhu are trialing a new model of tadpole, I don't see why it'd be any more of a contrivance to try it on the PCs as opposed to any other unfortunate group of twats - in a narrative vacuum, the odds are no better or worse. It's everything else around the PCs also being super-duper special and frontloaded in the first couple of levels (gith and devil pacts and the underdark and and and) that rubs me the wrong way. But this seems to be the way mass market entertainment's rolling these days.

Barbarian

Arcane
ITT, not every fan of this game is a degenerate.

This gurl plays the harp, cello, flute and clarinet besides singing. Waifu material if you ask me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom