Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Thanks, dude, I know you just wanted to post a list of your favorite fantasy novels, but I was talking about cRPGs because this is the cRPG section.
This is the Baldur's Gate 3 thread, where we strive to our utmost to ensure that discussion remains on the topics of classic Dungeons & Dragons and fantasy literature +M

A few notable CRPGs where the player-character is not the "chosen one":
  • Rogue (1980)
  • Wizardry (1981)
  • The Bard's Tale (1985)
  • Dungeon Master (1987) & Chaos Strikes Back (1989)
  • Pool of Radiance (1988) and the rest of the Gold Box games
  • Eye of the Beholder (1991)
  • Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (1992)
  • The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (1996)
  • Fallout (1997)
  • Arcanum (2001)
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil (2003)
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (2006) is worth mentioning as a game where there is a "chosen one" but he is an NPC
  • Legend of Grimrock (2012) & Legend of Grimrock II (2014)
  • Age of Decadence (2015)
  • Salt & Sanctuary (2016)
  • Wasteland 3 (2020)
Many more could be mentioned.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Thanks, dude, I know you just wanted to post a list of your favorite fantasy novels, but I was talking about cRPGs because this is the cRPG section.
This is the Baldur's Gate 3 thread, where we strive to our utmost to ensure that discussion remains on the topics of classic Dungeons & Dragons and fantasy literature +M

A few notable CRPGs where the player-character is not the "chosen one":
  • Rogue (1980)
  • Wizardry (1981)
  • The Bard's Tale (1985)
  • Dungeon Master (1987) & Chaos Strikes Back (1989)
  • Pool of Radiance (1988) and the rest of the Gold Box games
  • Eye of the Beholder (1991)
  • Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (1992)
  • The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (1996)
  • Fallout (1997)
  • Arcanum (2001)
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil (2003)
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (2006) is worth mentioning as a game where there is a "chosen one" but he is an NPC
  • Legend of Grimrock (2012) & Legend of Grimrock II (2014)
  • Age of Decadence (2015)
  • Salt & Sanctuary (2016)
  • Wasteland 3 (2020)
Many more could be mentioned.
Looks like dungeon crawlers are the real MVP of cRPGs

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
As revealed by Larian Studio’s latest community post, Vinegar Strokes will be taking on the role of a Baldur’s Gate 3 character named Lucretious.

Lucretious (sheeeeeiiiiittt!) is described as being “the
proud leader of an extraplanar circus filled with mummies, redcaps, djinni, dryads, elementals – you name it, "she"’s got it. "She" loves red wine, denying "her" employees paid holidays, and strives to be, above all else, utterly fabulous.
The more I hear about this shit, the more I think it's going to be DOA like Wrath of the Tranny.

So far, Astarion is the gayest companion it looks like we'll need to suffer through, and he's 90s gay, if that.

If Larian can restrain themselves from making TRANNIES AND NIGGERFAGGOTS central to the plot, maybe the game can be saved.

BVxxqQT.gif
Larian is making the most ANTI WOKE game ever.

Think about it, you can kill every filthy degenerate in the game. NO OTHER GAME ALLOWS THAT, play the dark urge and Larian even encourages you to kill the freaks.

The anti woke brigade should love my game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you spent thousands of hours with your ex wife/gf, should you be forbidden from later calling her a fucking bitch, and saying you wouldn't recommend anyone else to get in a relationship with her? Is it that weird and unthinkable to you, that looking back, moments that were positive before, can be soured by what happened later?
Straight answer, to a very gay question: you aren't forbidden but it speaks more about you than about her.

There is a saying: "Never diss your woman or your car - you chose them yourself".
At least with a car you know how it works under the hood.

Kiste

Augur

IIRC, Death Knights of Krynn was my first D&D RPG. I played it on an Amiga 500. They used to have this awkward thing where the game referenced pages and paragraphs in the game manual for longer game texts. To this day, I am not sure whether this was done to save memory because the game also had to run on the C-64 or if it was a form of copy protection.

cpmartins

Cipher

IIRC, Death Knights of Krynn was my first D&D RPG. I played it on an Amiga 500. They used to have this awkward thing where the game referenced pages and paragraphs in the game manual for longer game texts. To this day, I am not sure whether this was done to save memory because the game also had to run on the C-64 or if it was a form of copy protection.
It was both if I remember correctly. Same with Starflight.

Kiste

Augur
It was both if I remember correctly. Same with Starflight.
I'm not so sure, because I also remember that it did have a traditional manual-based copy protection when you start up the game ("Enter the word on page [...]") in addition to the diary entries.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I thought people would be talking about how turn based combat doesn't belong in Baldurs Gate but it's mostly gay sex
You are 1000 pages late for that discussion. It's all sex now.
This looks too good to be true.
Why though? From watching Swen's public behavior, I've always imagined he is the Steve Jobs type of boss. The boss who is 100% salesman and accomodating host when talking to clients is usually 100% slaverunner once the cameras are off, and he is at the office.

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I thought people would be talking about how turn based combat doesn't belong in Baldurs Gate but it's mostly gay sex
Just wait when after the hype normies and journos will realize that this is a classic TB RPG and not Dragon Age Inquisition. There will be a glorious cognitive dissonance.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So you can respec companions, which is great, and apparently necromancer gets some good summon shit later in the game.

Strongly considering going with Gale, and respeccing him to a fucking lich nigga and running with it.
my TAV is a paladin tho, will he be cool with that? kek

Also, I kind of need a rogue char in the party to unlock shit.. eh but i hate rogues.
And no way im taking asterion in my party

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom