Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Larian games are quite good when it comes to freedom of killing NPCs, right?

Just kill all NPCs that offend your codexian sensibilities. That's my plan.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Aren't we talking about the character creator here? Haven't seen a LGBsoup character in a Larian game that wasn't played for laughs.
Anyways, due to the spell to speak to the dead being in the game, and you getting an item very early on to ensure every playthrough has it, I am guessing you can kill most character and talk to their corpse to finish quests and so on.

jackofshadows

Magister
Never, ever do this. Faggots will insist on playing in coop with you, nolife on the first and maybe second day and then somehow never have time to play. I know better now and just tell them to fuck off.
That's not really a problem though. The host can continue playing w/o you I imagine. The romances might be ruined I guess but who cares really.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I am guessing you can kill most character and talk to their corpse to finish quests and so on.
They won't talk to their killer, unfortunately.
I think that's a canned line for situations where the NPC doesn't have unique dialogue. At least that's how spirits worked in Divinity. Either they have something to say, or they refused to talk to you as you killed them.

jackofshadows

Magister
I think that's a canned line for situations where the NPC doesn't have unique dialogue.
Nah then there wouldn't be the green outline in the first place. Rather for cases when some other conditions aren't met. Also I didn't test what happens when you kill npc by one party member and then trying to talk by the other who say was in the camp - probably the same though.

Zeriel

Arcane
Edit: Or Wizards of the Coast pushed it, in which case this sincerity vs marketing debate is just relocated in their studio, and Larian inherits it.
Ah yes, the Vatnik Owlcat defense. "EVIL CAPITALIST PIGDOGS FORCED POOR BASED RUSSIAN DEVS TO ADD POZZ!!!"
More like "Porsche told us not to have car deformation, because they don't want imagery of their car looking bad".
But, again, I don't know where this occurred. I'm just pushing back against the idea that its all marketing. Its not all marketing, there's sincere LGBTQWERTY in every studio, because of how popular the identity is among visual artists. And while there might be debate and backlash against the biology stuff, the linguistic stuff seems to be going mainstream. Expect more pronouns in character creators.

Linguistics affects everything else, so it stays then all of society will be mentally ill henceforth. There's a reason they enforce word changes so heavily. Language shapes the brain.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Linguistics affects everything else, so it stays then all of society will be mentally ill henceforth. There's a reason they enforce word changes so heavily. Language shapes the brain.
"Don't call me Dick, call me Richard" level politeness is easy to integrate and tolerate. Pronouns are that.
"I am a woman" is harder to integrate, because of sports, medicine, etc, which use the word. Its not just linguistics, it makes biological claims. That's where the battlefront will be, not in linguistics. Linguistics is woke advance, conservative retreat, and will remain so.

Note I'm not posting an opinion, just observing the trends. I'm lazy and don't want to learn the new spelling of Kiev.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

Odds are there won't be any NPCs left.

Also this game is peak woke if it has full VA + the option to use pronouns. All npcs including the evil villain using custom gender pronouns to refer to the player in dialogue, holy fuck that is funny on another level.

"Yes, I am the evil villain...oh by the way, before I enact my plans to destroy civilisation, what are your preferred pronouns? I don't want to risk mis-gendering anyone"

*player flees*

"Guards! Stop they/them!"

:lol:

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
"Don't call me Dick, call me Richard" level politeness is easy to integrate and tolerate. Pronouns are that.
"I am a woman" is harder to integrate, because of sports, medicine, etc, which use the word. Its not just linguistics, it makes biological claims. That's where the battlefront will be, not in linguistics. Linguistics is woke advance, conservative retreat, and will remain so.

Note I'm not posting an opinion, just observing the trends. I'm lazy and don't want to learn the new spelling of Kiev.

I agree on the trends. I just think you are extremely naive about how the human brain works and the (alleged) relative triviality of it all. Linguistics lays the terrain for everything else. When your linguistics are confused, yoru cognitive processes are also confused.

The name of a city doesn't matter very much unless it has historical meaning, but treating mentally ill people as if they aren't mentally ill has a negative effect on everyone else. It normalizes their mental illness, and spreads it like a plague to everyone else, as they are forced to accept the apparent reality that those people aren't mentally ill.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I agree on the trends. I just think you are extremely naive about how the human brain works. Linguistics lays the terrain for everything else. When your linguistics are confused, yoru cognitive processes are also confused.
Its simply reconfiguring a pointer. The pronoun used to point to the sex, now it will point to the preference.
Similar to how miss and missis used to point to marital status, now it points to preference. Similar to how uncle or aunt, grandpa or grandma used to mean familial status, but in contemporary bulgarian it just means man/woman of a certain age group. A very old stranger I never met is "grandpa". Grandpa, you need help with those bags? The language easily changed, because you just change what human attribute that word points to, everything else remaining the same.

This is why "woman" will remain as it is, but "he/she" might change in the anglosphere.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Its not a good look to have a review embargo right up to the release time of the game.
Its a narrative focused game. And it obviously has a BIIIIG TWIST in the plot, as to who you are and what your purpose is, and how Bhaal relates.
Plus, it has had an early access version for years. People who care have had time to check out the visuals, gameplay, user interface, etc, of that version of the game. They will be similar in the full game. So a review of the EA is equivalent to a review of the full game, minus the story and length.

Readher

Savant
Its not a good look to have a review embargo right up to the release time of the game.
Its a narrative focused game. And it obviously has a BIIIIG TWIST in the plot, as to who you are and what your purpose is, and how Bhaal relates.
Plus, it has had an early access version for years. People who care have had time to check out the visuals, gameplay, user interface, etc, of that version of the game. They will be similar in the full game. So a review of the EA is equivalent to a review of the full game, minus the story and length.
And bugs. No idea how buggy or not later acts are. Just look at Owlcat games, the stuff in alpha/beta was usually polished and then suddenly everything after that was a bugfest.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
And bugs. No idea how buggy or not later acts are. Just look at Owlcat games, the stuff in alpha/beta was usually polished and then suddenly everything after that was a bugfest.
Actually the same with Divinity OS 1/2, who also released Act I in early access and it was the tightest, most polished part of the game.
Which is why both games eventually upgraded to Enhanced Editions (free for PC owners). Its the entirety of the game polished up and rebalanced.
I don't mind this, usually the timing is perfect for a revisit and replay of the game, with enough time removed from the original release.

Zeriel

Arcane
Larian games always have seriously flawed content after the first act due to very little testing of it compared to the EA. So yeah, probably no big upside to letting reviewers see it ahead of time, if they know people will already buy.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Reviews dont usually have those kinds of massive spoilers, so that argument doesnt make much sense. Plenty of narrative games launch with no launch day review embargo.

the issue here is that Larian is notorious for making front loaded games that drop the ball when you reach the later acts. So the EA is not exactly indicative of final quality and a review/opinion of how the game succeeds or fails the narrative "landing" would be useful.

Ryzer

Arcane
Except that the original DOS1 version is better than the Enhanced edition which is ironic when you think about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom