Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Humbaba

Arcane
Why the fuck would it? All the dumbasses already bought the damn thing and Larian made all the money they could ever want. There is zero incentive for them to finish this trash in any reasonable amount of time.

jackofshadows

Magister
They were expanding like crazy. So even that kind of money would be gone unless they'll release this shit in a couple of years. It might depend on their future projects heavily though. Who knows how many are planned. If just a few then they might polish this somewhat longer and vise versa.

Thonius

Arcane
Why the fuck would it? All the dumbasses already bought the damn thing and Larian made all the money they could ever want. There is zero incentive for them to finish this trash in any reasonable amount of time.
Except there are plenty of people who are on a fence and don't want to pay full price for an alpha or don't want to pay full price period. Or people who is not into playing the same one chapter till release.
Also DLC's.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Baldur's Citizen. Buy an elf waifu for only $400!

That is too low for an elf slave.

----------------

I am avoiding posting here but a question. The butchering of certain enemies is Larian fault or woketards 5e fault? The most iconic example is intellect devourer. I fought then in dark sun wake of the ravager, on nwn1 and even after lv6, they can cause a bit of trouble with his special attacks in 2e and 3.xE games. In bg3 I soloed two of then on lv 1.

Other thing. The removal of negative attribute penalty for certain races and other BS are in game?

Humbaba

Arcane
Except there are plenty of people who are on a fence and don't want to pay full price for an alpha or don't want to pay full price period. Or people who is not into playing the same one chapter till release.
Also DLC's.

Literally the most successful release of any game on steam ever. I think Larian's good on this one.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

That is too low for an elf slave.

----------------

I am avoiding posting here but a question. The butchering of certain enemies is Larian fault or woketards 5e fault? The most iconic example is intellect devourer. I fought then in dark sun wake of the ravager, on nwn1 and even after lv6, they can cause a bit of trouble with his special attacks in 2e and 3.xE games. In bg3 I soloed two of then on lv 1.

Other thing. The removal of negative attribute penalty for certain races and other BS are in game?

"I'm avoiding posting here, but I'm posting here."

Monster scaling being different is a 5E thing. I'm too lazy to look up new intellect devourers, but I think someone did earlier in this thread.
All races having only bonuses and no penalties is a 5E thing because WOTC understands that it would be bad for one of the snowflakes to feel bad about any aspect of their character or selves.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"I'm avoiding posting here, but I'm posting here."
This is something that Meredith is doing a lot. It's like he's awarding himself good guy points for flirting with his self-imposed rules.

Autism is like a rainbow. You never know which colour your gonna get.

Is not self imposed rules. I just got tired of provoking Larian cultists and decided to not post here for a time. My last post was 17 nov and my last post about BG3 from months ago. But yes, i'm posting way more in BG3 as I've said that I will. But this is more a general chat thread. there are little to discuss about BG3;

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Cael

Arcane
Is this thing ever going to get out of early access lul.
Its only been in EA for a bit over a year. DOS2 was in EA for a year and released with an unfinished fourth act, something they likely want to avoid repeating.
EA? Avoid fucking things up? What Bizzaro world are you from?
Just so we're clear Early Access, not Electronic Arts. Not that I disagree.
Ah. My bad, then. EA will always be the killer of Ultima to me.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Thanks for the idea!

And BG3 is already a BIG success

On the day of its early access launch, Baldur's Gate III became the best-selling game on both Steam and GOG.com. On Steam, the game peaked at over 70,000 concurrent players, indicating strong initial sales. Larian Studios stated that heavy demand for the game appeared to cause technical issues for Steam in the minutes after the launch.[17]

Codex Year of the Donut
So how many copies sold so far do we know?
There's no way to know unless Larian tells us, and I doubt they will as it's not something Swen tends to talk about.
Good guess is probably in the 3-4 million range. Guessing based off of raw analytics numbers Larian has posted, and the amount of reviews left.

Heinrich

Scholar
Well ever since Steamspy got shit we don't have decent numbers, but let's put it here anyway: https://steamspy.com/app/1086940 Steamspy puts it at between two and five mil and it's almost definitely in that range, but there's obviously a pretty big difference between two and five. Iirc Larian also said they sold a million copies in the first week. Also, there are a lot of methods to estimate sales based on numbers of reviews but those seem mostly voodoo to me and not that reliable. If I had to guess I'd very roughly say about 3 mil on all platforms. Not bad for early access and at full price. DOS 2 sold an order of magnitude more copies after full release than early access, but I certainly don't think you can get to 20 or 30 mil with a CRPG, even one as big as this, the market just isn't there.

What do people think is the theoretical absolute maximum for CRPGs if you do everything right sales wise, insane production values, actually good gameplay, roping in all the possible normies etc. Ten mil?

Codex Year of the Donut
Well ever since Steamspy got shit we don't have decent numbers, but let's put it here anyway: https://steamspy.com/app/1086940 Steamspy puts it at between two and five mil and it's almost definitely in that range, but there's obviously a pretty big difference between two and five. Iirc Larian also said they sold a million copies in the first week. Also, there are a lot of methods to estimate sales based on numbers of reviews but those seem mostly voodoo to me and not that reliable. If I had to guess I'd very roughly say about 3 mil on all platforms. Not bad for early access and no sales. DOS 2 sold an order of magnitude more copies after full release than early access, but I certainly don't think you can get to 20 or 30 mil with a CRPG, even one as big as this, the market just isn't there.

What do people think is the theoretical absolute maximum for CRPGs if you do everything right sales wise, insane production values, actually good gameplay, roping in all the possible normies etc. Ten mil?
Higher if you include other platforms. There's a reason even pillows retrofitted a turn-based mode into deadfire for console ports.

Heinrich

Scholar
Well ever since Steamspy got shit we don't have decent numbers, but let's put it here anyway: https://steamspy.com/app/1086940 Steamspy puts it at between two and five mil and it's almost definitely in that range, but there's obviously a pretty big difference between two and five. Iirc Larian also said they sold a million copies in the first week. Also, there are a lot of methods to estimate sales based on numbers of reviews but those seem mostly voodoo to me and not that reliable. If I had to guess I'd very roughly say about 3 mil on all platforms. Not bad for early access and no sales. DOS 2 sold an order of magnitude more copies after full release than early access, but I certainly don't think you can get to 20 or 30 mil with a CRPG, even one as big as this, the market just isn't there.

Higher if you include other platforms. There's a reason even pillows retrofitted a turn-based mode into deadfire for console ports.
Very possible, I tried to be conservative.

Codex Year of the Donut
Honestly, I'd say the possible market for it(or a similar cRPG) isn't that much smaller than say, Witcher 3, due to coop. Coop seems to be the magic sauce you add to any game to make it sell 3x as much, no idea why normies love it so much.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Iirc Larian also said they sold a million copies in the first week.

They didn't, that was a news article also based on SteamSpy.

I think there's some overestimating going on here. An Early Access turn-based RPG isn't going to sell 3-4 million copies. Even one million would be insanely impressive.

Heinrich

Scholar
Honestly, I'd say the possible market for it(or a similar cRPG) isn't that much smaller than say, Witcher 3, due to coop. Coop seems to be the magic sauce you add to any game to make it sell 3x as much, no idea why normies love it so much.
That would be that 30 mil. I always thought that top-down gives games a glass ceiling but maybe I just internalized the old publisher propaganda despite disagreeing with it. After all, stuff like League of Legends is also top-down and people play Genshin Impact on their fridge, so maybe nobody cares about this stuff anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom