Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
deadlier and more interesting encounters
BG3 has pretty good encounters. Mynthara, spider queen, githyanki, hag — to name the few. Never reached spectator, but people say it’s also a good one. If you wan’t more pain in ass engage them underleveled.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Immortal blood sucking aristocrat undeads living in castles, doing crazy experiments and feeding upon the blood of peasants. There are a lot of cool and iconic vampires in fiction. Transform such creatures into Astarion is a disrespect towards then. He and Hexxat are teh WORST forms of vampire in all entertainment. Worse than even Edward Cullen and ESO pseudo vampirism.

. Mynthara, spider queen, githyanki, hag — to name the few. Never reached spectator, but people say it’s also a good one. If you wan’t more pain in ass engage them underleveled.

Knights of The Chalice 1/2 has way better encounter design and was made by a single dude.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Immortal blood sucking aristocrat undeads living in castles, doing crazy experiments and feeding upon the blood of peasants.
I get it, any deviation from Hollywood cliches is considered haram.
Knights of The Chalice 1/2 has way better encounter design and was made by a single dude.
Which doesn’t cancel any of the BG3 encounters’ good points.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Immortal blood sucking aristocrat undeads living in castles, doing crazy experiments and feeding upon the blood of peasants. There are a lot of cool and iconic vampires in fiction. Transform such creatures into Astarion is a disrespect towards then. He and Hexxat are teh WORST forms of vampire in all entertainment. Worse than even Edward Cullen and ESO pseudo vampirism.
:deathclaw:

Astarion isn't a vampire. He's a Vampire Spawn. His personality is also in line with Forgotten Realms lore.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Vampire_spawn
Pride was the true driver of the vampire spawn, since they believed themselves better than others.
Citation:
Libris_Mortis said:
Forever anchored to their unholy graves, the nocturnal predators known as vampire spawn scheme for power. They tend toward decadence, believing themselves superior to other living (or undead) creatures
Alignment: Vampire spawn are traditionally evil, though a DM may relax this restriction in a campaign that features undead player characters. The innate selfishness of the typical vampire spawn makes a good alignment difficult to uphold.
They are smart, insightful, and charismatic, though their sense of superiority often leads them to take on tasks best left to subordinates.
It's honestly like the writer just read the entry for Vampire Spawn, and designed an archetypical character.
living in castles, doing crazy experiments and feeding upon the blood of peasants.
What?

A vampire spawn is just someone who was slain by a vampire. It could even be an adventurer unlucky enough to die by energy drain.
Libris_Mortis said:
In order to take the class described here, a character must die as a result of a vampire’s energy drain (or as a victim of its blood drain if the character has less than 5 HD). Characters with 5 or more Hit Dice who are killed by a vampire’s blood drain must acquire the vampire template (see page 250 of the Monster Manual), and its +8 level adjustment places that template beyond the scope of the monster classes presented here.
What makes you think a person who's been turned into a vampire spawn would automatically become a mustache twirling aristocrat, acquire castle and start feeding off the local peasants?

Astarion is a slave. He's a self-important lower-vampire.
...who just happened to be (un)lucky enough to find a way to evade most of his curse's downsides, thanks to the parasite in his head.
He's even lower on the pecking order than what the player in Bloodlines was at the start.

I don't know what vision of vampires TV, films or other PnP IPs gave you that made you so butthurt about him, but it's pretty silly at this point.

I don't see you raging about the Dhampir in Wrath of the Tranny, and they're only a step or two below him. Where are their castles, huh?

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
There's no point in arguing with them because they suffer from LDS.
Last time I saw a legitimate criticism was before Larian got rid of most surface effects almost a year ago now.

Codex Year of the Donut
Most of the issues I have with the game are inherent to the 5e ruleset therefore aren't really fair criticisms of BG3 but merely critiques of D&D 5e.
I'll probably play the EA again soon so I can refresh my memory of the things I disliked/liked. But people pretending it's anywhere near a bad game are insane. It's one of the best games I've played in years. The early access has more content, reactivity, player agency, world interactions, etc., than most fully released games.

Merely just actually implementing non-combat spells that actually do something puts it above most other D&D adaptations for world interactions. Larian's typical emphasis on giving you a goal and letting you find your own solution using the tools they give you is something that should be far more common in cRPGs. But it seems many people on this site consider this to be a very minor thing despite it being the very essence of tabletop roleplaying games.

If you're looking for a buildfag spreadsheet simulator, yeah, the game isn't for you. But you aren't looking to actually play a game anyways.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
But people pretending it's anywhere near a bad game are insane. It's one of the best games I've played in years. The early access has more content, reactivity, player agency, world interactions, etc., than most fully released games.
It's like I said, whenever anyone posts anything negative, I look up their posting history and there are always a bunch of positive posts in Wrath of the Tranny's thread.

They'll gush praise about Tranny for a dozen posts and then come here whenever there's an update and make whatever bullshit complaint about the game they can, even though they've never played it, and even if it's something WotT has an even bigger problem with.

You're honestly going to come in here and whine about the writing, when you like Wrath of the Tranny? The game whose main campaign was written by Amber Scott? The game with an orc/tranny "lesbian" romance that's unskipable? Or complain that there are sex scenes when Tranny has near constant shock degeneracy like coprophilia, orgies and cannibalism?

They may not even hate Larian. It's like they've got some weird boner for their Sodom simulator and hate any RPG that might threaten its market share.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Merely just actually implementing non-combat spells that actually do something puts it above most other D&D adaptations for world interactions. Larian's typical emphasis on giving you a goal and letting you find your own solution using the tools they give you is something that should be far more common in cRPGs. But it seems many people on this site consider this to be a very minor thing despite it being the very essence of tabletop roleplaying games.
And I have a bone to pick with this by-the-numbers storybook CYOA design in modern cRPGs.

Nearly all the interactions in pillows are placed there by the developers and easily accessible by the player. This isn't how roleplaying works... You aren't supposed to get a list of options to choose from, it's fundamentally wrong. This is turning RPGs into CYOAs. It is a very frequent critique of AoD when compared to Fallout.
If the movie form is "show, don't tell" then the RPG form is "allow, don't show."

If, for a small example, I wanted to cross a small river in pillows without a bridge there would be a prompt to use athletics in the form of a button near the river.
If the same situation was present in BG3, there would be nothing there telling you "Hey, something interesting is on the other side!" like the athletics skill prompt. You'd use a teleport spell or perhaps jump(jump range is affected by STR iirc) while exploring.
The latter does feel more rewarding because it doesn't feel like there's someone holding your hand. It's a solution you created to a problem that exists.

Non-combat magic(& skills) definitely isn't a requirement for this but greatly adds to the kind of environments and problems that can be created. Fallout did this plenty without magic. There typically was no prompt telling you to do X, you figured it out on your own. I like to use the radscorpion cave as a most basic example. The game tells you to clear it out, but if your perception is high enough you can notice a weak point in the cave giving you a hint. Place explosives there, and you figured out a creative way to finish the quest. If this was a quest in AoD, it would just be a dialogue option. AoD was a good game but I really hated that CYOA stuff.

Pillows doesn't even really have non-combat magic(terrible world design here too, non-combat magic should be extensive) because it's such an afterthought. A few spells were retrofitted into text sequences but it's quite literally just CYOA.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
This is turning RPGs into CYOAs.
This has been a problem ever since dialog skillchecks were a thing. Fans liked the reactivity and devs saw that. Cue every cool action becoming a dialog option or otherwise highlighted [special] action.

TBH, I don't mind this that much, since I like CYOAs. But what I have an issue with is the removal of gameplay freedom that comes from gating everything through dialog and similar mechanisms.

Fallout and the BG series let you attack any enemy, but devs became afraid of that breaking the game. So instead of trying to make games with nonlinear story structures that can handle a character death or even just combat with any NPC (Fallout, Arcanum and ToEE - and PST and BG to a lesser extent), they virtually make combat itself into a dialog option only. And then you really are just playing a CYOA with a combat engine attached.

If I want to kill the retarded orc official in Wrath of the Tranny, I should be able to. I don't care that she's your super special Tumblr OC. I don't care that she's stronger than the player because she's a big, yellow Mary Sue. I should be able to turn on combat and attack her. I shouldn't have to wait until 60 hours in to get the special dialog option to do it.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
a buildfag spreadsheet simulator

:positive:

Perfect summary for Wrath of the tranny

Game was made for autistic degenerates.

Game that requires some thinking and planning is bad? I guess spamming the same spell over and over for the whole game is better for u, and don't forget barrels :M
Come now. We all know dramaqueens love to "organically" create their characters. After all, no normal person study hard or plan to be engineers or medical practitioners. They all just happen to stumble across being one.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
And I have a bone to pick with this by-the-numbers storybook CYOA design in modern cRPGs.

Nearly all the interactions in pillows are placed there by the developers and easily accessible by the player. This isn't how roleplaying works... You aren't supposed to get a list of options to choose from, it's fundamentally wrong. This is turning RPGs into CYOAs. It is a very frequent critique of AoD when compared to Fallout.
If the movie form is "show, don't tell" then the RPG form is "allow, don't show."

If, for a small example, I wanted to cross a small river in pillows without a bridge there would be a prompt to use athletics in the form of a button near the river.
If the same situation was present in BG3, there would be nothing there telling you "Hey, something interesting is on the other side!" like the athletics skill prompt. You'd use a teleport spell or perhaps jump(jump range is affected by STR iirc) while exploring.
The latter does feel more rewarding because it doesn't feel like there's someone holding your hand. It's a solution you created to a problem that exists.

Non-combat magic(& skills) definitely isn't a requirement for this but greatly adds to the kind of environments and problems that can be created. Fallout did this plenty without magic. There typically was no prompt telling you to do X, you figured it out on your own. I like to use the radscorpion cave as a most basic example. The game tells you to clear it out, but if your perception is high enough you can notice a weak point in the cave giving you a hint. Place explosives there, and you figured out a creative way to finish the quest. If this was a quest in AoD, it would just be a dialogue option. AoD was a good game but I really hated that CYOA stuff.

Pillows doesn't even really have non-combat magic(terrible world design here too, non-combat magic should be extensive) because it's such an afterthought. A few spells were retrofitted into text sequences but it's quite literally just CYOA.

This sort of lack of thought required for anything, just going along with the prescribed flow of a game and pushing buttons where everything might as well be a QTE (at least you have to pay attention to those) really is a huge symptom of decline. Although Larian's process hasn't been perfect (and I haven't played the EA in months), it's hard to deny that the game is very ambitious and has a lot of passion put into it.

Sunri

Liturgist
Yea its much better when you have only 1 decision during leveling and all you do is spam magic missile we dont want to make game 2 complicated so retards can enjoy it

Codex Year of the Donut
Yea its much better when you have only 1 decision during leveling and all you do is spam magic missile we dont want to make game 2 complicated so retards can enjoy it
the complexity in spreadsheet sim character building is zero because you can go respec at any point in time therefore your decisions have no real consequences

Sunri

Liturgist
the complexity in spreadsheet sim character building is zero because you can go respec at any point in time therefore your decisions have no real consequences

You can,t its bugged :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom