Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

deuxhero

Arcane
My dream BG3 would have been made by Beamdog + Ossian + Gaider with pepped-up Infinity Engine.

Is there still any hope left?

No, based on this information there really is no hope left for you.

:despair:

Perhaps there is...
https://www.ossianstudios.com/2021/12/18/new-rpg-project/

Really enjoyed their premium modules. It's their chance to scratch that oldskool itch.

Expect an official announcement sometime in the summer of 2022!
Last day of summer takes place on September 05 in 2022

Lambach

Arcane
Outdated visuals aside, the only thing that bugs me about IE is that there is no indicator for AoE Spells, which some may say is a good thing because it forces you to be extra careful when aiming, but fuck that. Even in PnP you're not forced to eyeball it, you can aim it accurately because of the grid.

Not sure how it's a mess, tho. PnP adaptations, if they're (mostly) faithful to the source material, just naturally work better in TB. IE made it work probably as well as it was possible in RtwP.

Codex Year of the Donut
damn could you imagine if someone hated baldur's gate
might make someone found a site exclusively to talk about good RPGs because they were so offended by how shit baldur's gate was
Marketting people and trend bandwagonning are the main reason I play Spiderweb's CRPGs and Prelude to Darkness. I don't want to keep playing the same game, over and over again. I already have Diablo and Baldur's Gate, though I admit I truly hated Baldur's Gate to the point where I couldn't stand to play it more than a day or so.
Baldur's Gate was compared to Fallout by a lot of people, and has been since it came out. Honestly, the success of Baldur's Gate has always amazed me, since it came a year after Fallout and didn't do a single thing better than Fallout. In fact, there's a large number things even the older games, like Ultima, did more of and did better than Baldur's Gate.

The part that shocks me is that BG lived up to almost none of the hype it had, yet there's still an amazing number of people out there who think the game is the best CRPG ever made. Most likely, they haven't really tried much else, but they still wave the game around like a banner.

Being less deep than BG2 certainly should win some kind of award...

I don't think Baldur's Gate would have sold well at all if they didn't have that D&D license. It wasn't nearly as robust as games that came before it. The interface was klunky, the pathfinding was atrocious, it was buggy, it was ugly, the multiplayer was pitiful, and so on. Really, the only hype point for that game was that it was a D&D game being made by the publishers of Fallout. Interplay also pushed Baldur's Gate pretty hard in terms of PR and advertising. I wonder how much they would have pitched it if it were some new thing with no wonderful license or name to point to.

Yes, we hate them.. We hate them so very, very much.

They're fairly easy to pick on, since they basically make mediocre and unoriginal crap, then hype it like they're God's gift to the genre, which they've basically been dumbing down and lowering standards for since they popped in with Baldur's Gate. It's kind of bad they've been making CRPGs since Fallout hit the market in 1997, and they've never come close to making anything nearly as good, even though they've had much more resources, much more time, and many more people than the people who made it. They've made two since Planescape: Torment, and haven't been able to come close to that title either.

Codex Year of the Donut
Even in PnP you're not forced to eyeball it, you can aim it accurately because of the grid.
2E wasn't played on a grid. There were optional supplements for it(of which 3E's combat was based upon), but it was not designed to be played on a grid by default.

3E has shaded people's views on how D&D should be adapted when RAW, it's really hard to adapt AD&D 2E to a video game. The initiative system itself is a mess that someone could write an entire book on. 3E was in many ways a return to wargaming, but on a much smaller scale.

Lambach

Arcane
The initiative system itself is a mess that someone could write an entire book on.

Well yes, just off the top of my head I'd say the biggest problem with it is that it's often the case that whoever wins Initiative wins the battle because they can completely shut the other side down and deny them the chance to react or even do anything at all, but you have to decide the order in which characters act in a turn-based game somehow. It's either that or go with a different system altogether. Maybe a phase-based one or something.

Codex Year of the Donut
The initiative system itself is a mess that someone could write an entire book on.

Well yes, just off the top of my head I'd say the biggest problem with it is that it's often the case that whoever wins Initiative wins the battle because they can completely shut the other side down and deny them the chance to react or even do anything at all, but you have to decide the order in which characters act in a turn-based game somehow. It's either that or go with a different system altogether. Maybe a phase-based one or something.
2E is phase-based.
The best way to represent 2E combat would in fact be abstract blobber combat where both sides simultaneously declare their intention and then each move is performed in some form of ranked order.
From the DMG:
  1. The DM determines what actions the monsters will take.
  2. The players declare what actions they take
  3. Initiative is declared
  4. Attacks are made in order of initative
There was also an optional rule for per-character initiative rather than per-side.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There are great RT D&D games(dreamforge intertainment), good RtWP(infinity engine) and good turn based(ToEE, most SSI adaptations). Some people here seems to think that just switching to TB makes any game good. That if Sword Coast Legends was TB, it would have been good...

Codex Year of the Donut
Outdated visuals aside, the only thing that bugs me about IE is that there is no indicator for AoE Spells,
EE version has this as an option btw
l7pc7ndylzt1.png

The EEs were mostly a technical improvement, it's a shame they decided to go beyond that and insert their own garbage into it.

Codex Year of the Donut
IE game combat is not real-time in any sane definition of the word. 7.62 High Calibre is an example of RTwP, IE games are round-based with pause.

Lambach

Arcane
Sounds like a bit of a mess. The action that was pre-declared can end up being completely invalid by the time it gets to be resolved e.g. you declare you're casting a Spell on monster X, but it gets killed by another Party member with higher Initiative before you get a chance to act. If I understood the system correctly.

The EEs were mostly a technical improvement, it's a shame they decided to go beyond that and insert their own garbage into it.

The stuff they added to the original campaigns is pretty easy to ignore, tho. I even thought Dorn was a good addition to an Evil Party, he helps fix the lack of strong Evil Martial auto-attackers since Korgan is the only other one. His poorly written edginess is likewise fairly easy to ignore.

Codex Year of the Donut
Sounds like a bit of a mess. The action that was pre-declared can end up being completely invalid by the time it gets to be resolved e.g. you declare you're casting a Spell on monster X, but it gets killed by another Party member with higher Initiative before you get a chance to act. If I understood the system correctly.
Correct, now try extending it to a grid rather than just abstract combat. :M

Lambach

Arcane
Correct

And there's no rule to allow a character in such a situation to instead declare a different action in that moment and resolve it immediately? Being forced to commit to a future action that was declared based on the situation at the time in a game where random chance is a huge factor and there's no way to accurately predict how it will change seems very poorly thought out.

Harthwain

Magister
I think it could work, if you could add supplementary orders.

Faarbaute

Arbiter

Lambach's Minor Missile Barrage misses its target.

Lambach's Minor Missile Barrage hits target for 12 (0) damage. Target is already dead.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Lambach's Minor Missile Barrage misses its target.

Lambach's Minor Missile Barrage hits target for 12 (0) damage. Target is already dead.
This gameplay brought to you by Fist of the North Star B/X version

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
is that pile of swampgerman crapochino is going to come out ??? feelz like larian is going to run out of money by the time this shit out lol,and i doubt that they will have a bunch of new sales on release to cover their expenses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom