Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
fallout 2 isn't a sequel to fallout because you don't play the same main character

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Just why the fuck did they bring back Bhaal?
I thought he was dead for good.
After all, his essence was either dispersed or merged with Gorion's Ward, who, in turn, becomes a deity(Throne of Bhaal).
Don't tell me they follow that Abdel Adrian shit?
because all the new shit they came up with flopped

Isn't 5E a huge success? The internet seems rife with all the shitty non-characters that came out of the nu-lore
It's a huge success in the same sense woke shit is successful - Praised by faggots that don't actually play it.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Isn't 5E a huge success? The internet seems rife with all the shitty non-characters that came out of the nu-lore
He probably meant going from 4e to 5e. 4e was a Great Reset. 5e was an attempt to step back from that.

5e ripped off a lot of 2e stuff, from the look of it, but in a watered-down way. Tried to return to form a bit without devolving into the spreadsheet sim that is 3.5e.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
He probably meant going from 4e to 5e. 4e was a Great Reset. 5e was an attempt to step back from that.

5e ripped off a lot of 2e stuff, from the look of it, but in a watered-down way. Tried to return to form a bit without devolving into the spreadsheet sim that is 3.5e.

I've played multiple full campaigns of all D&D editions, so I know them all quite well. I know less about how well they sold, but my impression was 5e and its spin-off stuff did p. great (I was commenting on the claim that it "flopped")

Just why the fuck did they bring back Bhaal?
I thought he was dead for good.
After all, his essence was either dispersed or merged with Gorion's Ward, who, in turn, becomes a deity(Throne of Bhaal).
Don't tell me they follow that Abdel Adrian shit?
because all the new shit they came up with flopped

It's a huge success in the same sense woke shit is successful - Praised by faggots that don't actually play it.

Flopping generally implies selling poorly. Plenty of crappy shit sells like hot cakes.

5E has a lot of woke promotional material, but the actual game? "Praised by faggots that don't actually play it" seems kind of an ironic sentence in this regard seeing as anyone who has actually played Tomb of Annihilation for example will know that its portrayal of ethnicity and tribal culture is surprisingly... oldschool, let's say.

And indeed had the internet up in arms:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tom...9i57j33i160.6808j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Which is doubly ironic since one of the fantasies ToA let's you play out is that of the racist evil western colonizer.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Sorry I was referring to the new lore that flopped, not the sales. Abeir-Toril, Raven Queen... All that shit got sidelined immediately in 5E

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I've played multiple full campaigns of all D&D editions, so I know them all quite well. I know less about how well they sold, but my impression was 5e and it's spin-off stuff did p. great (I was commenting on the claim that it "flopped")
Yeah, I realize that. That's why I said that maybe he meant 4e, since it clearly flopped.

I think you can check roll20 for popularity, if nothing else:
https://blog.roll20.net/media/orrreport-2021-q4-long.pdf

Notice that 4e is (I had to stop my self from laughing while writing this) below AD&D in terms of active users.

5e is the most used though, so not sure that it flopped at all.
edit: Ah, I see.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Isn't 5E a huge success?
Blame Critical Role for this.

Seems to be just as much the other way around. 5E is mega among most P&P'ers I know and the throughline for them is:

- Unlike me they hated 4th ed and never played it
- Like me they dislike Critical Role ("Matt Mercer is a great GM but the players are terrible and the show doesn't reflect what playing P&P is" etc. etc.)

5E's success seems built on the fact that it hooked both the P&P normies who played AD&D as kids and liked 3.5 as well as all the woke "sexpositive" genderbending kids in the hobby currently.

It might not gel with your need for a tidy narrative, but it seems to be the case when looking at the type of people who play 5E. More importantly, the woke kids are hardly deep-pocketed enough to keep 5E afloat let alone a financial success (a lot of them sure seem to fit the unemployed political protester stereotype) - while the 3.5 normies *certainly* are.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sorry I was referring to the new lore that flopped, not the sales. Abeir-Toril, Raven Queen... All that shit got sidelined immediately in 5E

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood you. Still though, while the FR lore was certainly ass, all the shitty characters that came with it seem to have survived among the majority of the playerbase. The new Blackstaff etc.

EDIT: Tangentially, isn't it racistly on-the-nose that new Blackstaff is actually black? :lol:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I will say that if and when you see a tranny character in BG3 (probably gonna be the tiefling party member, which would also be kind of fitting), you can all laugh at me for having preordered this like a typical boomer consumer.

Though, in my defense, I don't think trannyism was quite this pervasive back in 2020. :M

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Of course there's going to be a tranny character. It's going to be a throwaway minor NPC who will go deep into zheir background if you happen to encounter them, and despite having cost 30 minutes of manpower to make, Polygon will call it a massive victory for progressiveness (though they will of course note that BG3 is not entirely "unproblematic" because at one point you get to make a positive remark about a female character's looks), while most people will fail to notice the character altogether. Except the antiwoke grognards who will fixate on it with laser precision and share screenshots of that character in every single GRPG thread as evidence that RPGs are forever lost to the Tides of Wokeness.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
D&D might be popular, but it doesn't translate into sales at all
hasbro doesn't even include them in their financial report anymore, just MTG

consider the following: D&D was making more under Gary Gygax in the 80s than it is now. We know this thanks to all the various lawsuits extensively detailing the profits.
they have no idea how to monetize D&D at all

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood you. Still though, while the FR lore was certainly ass, all the shitty characters that came with it seem to have survived among the majority of the playerbase. The new Blackstaff etc.

EDIT: Tangentially, isn't it racistly on-the-nose that new Blackstaff is actually black? :lol:
You mean Khelben Arunsun?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
D&D might be popular, but it doesn't translate into sales at all
hasbro doesn't even include them in their financial report anymore, just MTG

Everything is relative. D&D has never been a financial workhorse for WotC, AFAIK. An exception might be peak 3.5? But even then, the player base is so low compared to their big games

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

You mean Khelben Arunsun?

HONK HONK

WxPFSlk.jpg

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Vajra_Safahr

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Of course there's going to be a tranny character. It's going to be a throwaway minor NPC
I wish this were true. I really do. But I think it's going to be a major character of some sort.

Thankfully Larian has been pretty based about no mandatory NPCs, and the ability to kill anyone.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Of course there's going to be a tranny character. It's going to be a throwaway minor NPC
I wish this were true. I really do. But I think it's going to be a major character of some sort.

Thankfully Larian has been pretty based about no mandatory NPCs, and the ability to kill anyone.

MSM seem to generally do one of two things:

1) Make an obviously progressive minor character
2) Make a major character with somewhat veiled hints at a progressive sexuality

Threading that thin line between progressives and conservatives (while the truth probably is that 99% of their customer base don't give two fucks either way)

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
s (while the truth probably is that 99% of their customer base don't give two fucks either way)
average person is disgusted by trannies

media exists to perpetuate the idea that trannies don't look like unholy abominations btw
The average customer will read about some tranny backstory, go "lol dumb" and move on to consoom the next tranny propaganda piece without noticing a pattern

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
s (while the truth probably is that 99% of their customer base don't give two fucks either way)
average person is disgusted by trannies

≠ giving a fuck about the phenomenon in general.

My family on my dad's side are working stiffs (highest education is carpenter, most are uneducated), salt-of-the-earth type guys and while their opinions of trannies might as well be from the 50's, the truth is they don't notice woke shit 99,9% of the time because they're preoccupied by things that actually affect their lives.

They don't give a fuck about the so-called "trans agenda", in other words.

When they do notice woke stuff it's more about political correctness, e.g. their favourite ice cream having to change its name because of some stereotype (like the Eskimo ice cream or whatever). That shit'll make 'em mad as hell

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom