Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Throne of Bhaal was the "third game" in the series and high level DnD already started to suck then.

But this is not the point here. You have a world which on the surface is your standard medieval fantasy but which has various esoteric realms and mysterious facets to it. You cannot just have everything become average and common place because that would just make everything feel cheap and pointless. Catching a Drow in the surface was supposed to be one in a billion extraordinary events. Now you can just pick them as your main race and nobody bats an eye at this? What's next, Beholders as common merchants you can meet in regular towns? Is the setting not allowed to have ANYHING that's mysterious at all?

If you talk to people in Easthaven in Icewind Dale you get a sense that the people living in those regular areas of the Forgotten Realms have very little experience with anything extraordinary. Goblins or Orcs is something that they only know by hearsay. Some may even doubt those things exist! Even the idea of wolves creeping into the village is treated like a tall tale.

Now you are telling me that in a world like this everybody is just gonna look at Ilithids dropping in on a flying squid spaceship with dragons at their eels and somehow everybody is just gonna look at that as if it was the most normal shit in the world? How is this not full on Bethesdtardim exactly?

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
But then you have Wrath of the Tranny

Are there actually that many trannies in Wrath? I'm playing it but I'm speedreading most dialogue. While the game is certainly extremely weird and overtly "sex positive 2022-style" about the whole sex-thing, I haven't noticed much genderbending
There's just one, you have to pass some lategame dialogue check or something to find that out though.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Thinking that Germany's approach to Holocaust denial is "woke" belies the lack of knowledge you have to have to classify all these diverse issues into the same bucket of wokeness.
I did mention LGBT as well. Though I think that throwing a lawyer into prison for repeating what her client said in court is probably quite a bit beyond "woke".

american detected
Still accurate though. If it wasn't, a certain pipeline explosion would be less of a mystery. :M

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Now you are telling me that in a world like this everybody is just gonna look at Ilithids dropping in on a flying squid spaceship with dragons at their eels and somehow everybody is just gonna look at that as if it was the most normal shit in the world? How is this not full on Bethesdtardim exactly?
An Illithid Spelljammer crashing near a major city like Baldurs Gate should cause an immediate response from the big players in the Realms because Illithids are a huge threat, there are multiple organizations like the Harpers or the Zhents who would want to cover it up/steal it and Spelljamming is deliberately kept a secret from the people of FR.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
But then you have Wrath of the Tranny

Are there actually that many trannies in Wrath? I'm playing it but I'm speedreading most dialogue. While the game is certainly extremely weird and overtly "sex positive 2022-style" about the whole sex-thing, I haven't noticed much genderbending
There's just one, you have to pass some lategame dialogue check or something to find that out though.

So rather than Non-Edgy Gamer's 'Wrath of the Tranny' it's exactly what I asserted earlier - a non-main character whose progressiveness is slightly veiled. Truely, the genre will never recover from this assault

(To my mind the extreme cringe of the game's romances is a bigger issue)

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, I misunderstood, see my edit!
Ah I see.
Wait, you're talking about Anevia? Lol, again, didn't even notice, I was so bored out of my skull by those two characters I quickly started skipping their lines
Boring, and complete buffoons. The entire plot wouldn't have happened had they not been such inept morons.

And I guess since Amber Scott wrote this campaign, and Beamdog's Dragonspear, it's on topic. :M

edit:
So rather than @Non-Edgy Gamer's 'Wrath of the Tranny' it's exactly what I asserted earlier - a non-main character whose progressiveness is slightly veiled. Truely, the genre will never recover from this assault
He's forced on you for the entire game. From the very start, almost to the very end, from what I understand.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

BG3 leaning into D&D planar kitsch is the most promising part of the game's themes so far IMO

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Catching a Drow in the surface was supposed to be one in a billion extraordinary events.
Are you really complaining about this when BG1&2 had Viconia and BG2 had a Drow invasion of the surface?
Now you can just pick them as your main race and nobody bats an eye at this?
This has been a thing since 2E. I guess you were abducted from the Underdark or maybe you were an exile.
If you talk to people in Easthaven in Icewind Dale you get a sense that the people living in those regular areas of the Forgotten Realms have very little experience with anything extraordinary. Goblins or Orcs is something that they only know by hearsay. Some may even doubt those things exist! Even the idea of wolves creeping into the village is treated like a tall tale.
This is 5E. An entire city recently just dropped into Avernus and came back.
Now you are telling me that in a world like this everybody is just gonna look at Ilithids dropping in on a flying squid spaceship with dragons at their eels and somehow everybody is just gonna look at that as if it was the most normal shit in the world?
Who is looking at this like it's normal exactly? All of the NPCs seem either confused or horrified by what's happening.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Guys, my uncle works at Larian.
He told me Sven lurks on Codex sometimes and he was very disturbed when he learned that some of you people didn't like BG3 trailer Jaheira. He admited giving her exactly the same hairstyle and looks was rather uninspired.

That's why the release version of BG3 will feature the Dungeon Mayhem and Idle Champions version of Jaheira, more fitting for the current year:

35b5174b-faeb-4268-8a39-c53900249920-CR0-0-1080-1080-PT0-SX300-V1.jpg

I hope you are happy.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
first 5 minutes of bg1 you see two epic level mages capable of fighting dragons duel it out to the death lmao
just because the graphics suck doesn't mean it isn't true
Guy casts 2 3rd level spells (fireball and lightning bolt) and then goes to lower level spells like acid arrow and magic missile before resorting to his dagger. Yes, clearly archmage material. You're looking at level 9, maybe level 10 wizard. That's barely name level in AD&D, nevermind epic level.

Cryomancer plz educate this fool.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Rusty never played BG, only BG "Enhanced" Edition. Who knows, maybe in that one Gorion is casting Timestop to make it more epic.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Sorry I was referring to the new lore that flopped, not the sales. Abeir-Toril, Raven Queen... All that shit got sidelined immediately in 5E

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood you. Still though, while the FR lore was certainly ass, all the shitty characters that came with it seem to have survived among the majority of the playerbase. The new Blackstaff etc.

EDIT: Tangentially, isn't it racistly on-the-nose that new Blackstaff is actually black? :lol:
You mean Khelben Arunsun?

HONK HONK

WxPFSlk.jpg

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Vajra_Safahr
Seems like a missed opportunity to have an Idris Elba insert in this too. I mean, it's pretty obvious that Blackstaff should have a black sta... oooh.
honkhonk.png

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Guy casts 2 3rd level spells (fireball and lightning bolt) and then goes to lower level spells like acid arrow and magic missile before resorting to his dagger. Yes, clearly archmage material. You're looking at level 9, maybe level 10 wizard. That's barely name level in AD&D, nevermind epic level.
We've already been over this. Fireball and Lightning Bolt are literally the highest level damaging spells implemented in BG1. Bioware wasn't going to add more simply for one non-playable duel.

mediocrepoet

Patron
We've already been over this. Fireball and Lightning Bolt are literally the highest level damaging spells implemented in BG1. Bioware wasn't going to add more simply for one non-playable duel.
Explains why they didn't let him keep casting stuff for a cutscene instead of... going for that epic wizard dagger stab. Pure cope.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ummm Bioware did not have time to give him more than two circle three slots, do you know how much development time that takes??

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Bizarre to me how some people insist Gorion actually isn't a powerful wizard because of one cutscene made for 1998 home computers.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Bizarre to me how some people insist Gorion actually isn't a powerful wizard because of one cutscene made for 1998 home computers.
Bizarre to me how some people revised 2E rules to think that a 9th or 10th level wizard isn't powerful and can't wrap their minds around powerful epic.

Hitting name level (9/10 depending on class) in any class is a big deal.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Gorion forgot to have Stoneskin or to cast Protection from Magical Weapons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom