Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
netherese nuclear device in your ass

the more of such insanity, the better. only hope of saving modern fantasy tales from utter boredom
Here you go, bud. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall

mediocrepoet said:
I actually totally agree with you

You seem to be malfunctioning
No, you're just all over the map

I have literally had one point on this entire topic: that D&D's best and most unique asset is the over-the-top extraplanar insane shit and that Larian should stick to that because they are incapable of writing a clasically good story

How you turn that into being "all over the map" is beyond me nigga

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Baldurs-Gate-3-release-date-Jaheira.jpg

THIS is Jaheira?
What the hell.
And what's the problem?
She's like 120 years old.

I think they nailed the "widow cougar just before smashing to the wall" look.
More Californication.

“Cougar” smdh. Rest of the world knows how to act their fucking age, you insufferable phaggots.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

the more of such insanity, the better. only hope of saving modern fantasy tales from utter boredom

mediocrepoet said:

I have literally had one point on this entire topic: that D&D's best and most unique asset is the over-the-top extraplanar insane shit and that Larian should stick to that because they are incapable of writing a clasically good story

Because most people understand differences in magnitude.

This claim: D&D's best and most unique asset is the over-the-top extraplanar insane shit
is not at all the same magnitude as this: only hope of saving modern fantasy tales from utter boredom

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that no, it's not even kind of the same claim. First of all, the second is not only stronger, but talks about the entire genre and beyond, whereas the first is talking about the primary or greatest strength of a specific ruleset. Therefore, I tend to agree with the first statement, while I simultaneously think that the second, if truly held, means you should probably look into medication.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

mediocrepoet said:

Because most people understand differences in magnitude.

This claim: D&D's best and most unique asset is the over-the-top extraplanar insane shit
is not at all the same magnitude as this: only hope of saving modern fantasy tales from utter boredom

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that no, it's not even kind of the same claim. First of all, the second is not only stronger, but talks about the entire genre and beyond, whereas the first is talking about the primary or greatest strength of a specific ruleset. Therefore, I tend to agree with the first statement, while I simultaneously think that the second, if truly held, means you should probably look into medication.

PrmnW53.jpg

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Guy casts 2 3rd level spells (fireball and lightning bolt) and then goes to lower level spells like acid arrow and magic missile before resorting to his dagger. Yes, clearly archmage material. You're looking at level 9, maybe level 10 wizard. That's barely name level in AD&D, nevermind epic level.
Zero cooldown on his spells. He'd also battled a dragon in the past, so maybe that's what Rusty meant.

Sarevok is certainly capable of killing a dragon though.

Then there's Elminster, whom you meet in the next area.

Codex Year of the Donut
Guy casts 2 3rd level spells (fireball and lightning bolt) and then goes to lower level spells like acid arrow and magic missile before resorting to his dagger. Yes, clearly archmage material. You're looking at level 9, maybe level 10 wizard. That's barely name level in AD&D, nevermind epic level.
Zero cooldown on his spells. He'd also battled a dragon in the past, so maybe that's what Rusty meant.

sometimes I have to wonder if they actually played the game
it's the entire plot of Firkraag

Gradenmayer

Learned
Ya pingas are pretending that NPC levels meant shit back in the OG baldurs gate? Where companions just match the level of main hero whenever you recruit them?

mediocrepoet

Patron

Sometimes I wonder if you're aware that you can kill Firkraag at the very beginning of BG2... when you're not epic levelled. Meaning if Gorion didn't kill him outright, he's definitely not epic levelled (which would also be why Sarevok wasn't utterly annihilated).

Codex Year of the Donut

Sometimes I wonder if you're aware that you can kill Firkraag at the very beginning of BG2... when you're not epic levelled. Meaning if Gorion didn't kill him outright, he's definitely not epic levelled (which would also be why Sarevok wasn't utterly annihilated).
it was also when gorion was significantly younger

(hint: age is not a bad thing for a wizard)

mediocrepoet

Patron

Hint: Still couldn't do jack.
Hint2: Age is not a bad thing for a dragon.
Hint3: This conversation isn't becoming less dumb with time.
Hint4: Can we shift the goalposts back to the county we started in now?

Codex Year of the Donut

a human and dragon don't age at the same rate
decades for gorion was enough to get him in good graces with Elminster

this is like asserting someone who knows one of the most powerful people in the world on a firstname basis is probably not actually very important

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
first 5 minutes of bg1 you see two epic level mages capable of fighting dragons duel it out to the death lmao
just because the graphics suck doesn't mean it isn't true

Cryomancer plz educate this fool.

For him, everything past lv 4 is "epic level"... He din't casted a single iconic mid level spell like stoneskin. And as someone who spended DECADES in candlekeep, he should know a few mid level spells. I'm not saying that he should be able to cast wish and stop time, but he should be around lv 9~12.

Codex if BG were released today: "LOL being chosen one child of a God of course modern games are so high fantasy trash"

You play as one of the many children of a deity. And people try to steal it form you...

Codex Year of the Donut
For him, everything past lv 4 is "epic level"... He din't casted a single iconic mid level spell like stoneskin. And as someone who spended DECADES in candlekeep, he should know a few mid level spells. I'm not saying that he should be able to cast wish and stop time, but he should be around lv 9~12.
they weren't implemented in the engine at the time

hope that clears things up

mediocrepoet

Patron

a human and dragon don't age at the same rate
decades for gorion was enough to get him in good graces with Elminster

this is like asserting someone who knows one of the most powerful people in the world on a firstname basis is probably not actually very important
It's like asserting that someone who throws a few middling level spells and some apprentice level spells and then resorts to stabbing with a non-magical dagger before being gutted probably isn't a world bending power in most game worlds, especially not in high powered ones like the Forgotten Realms. I don't know, I guess your standards are different.

Codex Year of the Donut
It's like asserting that someone who throws a few middling level spells and some apprentice level spells and then resorts to stabbing with a non-magical dagger before being gutted probably isn't a world bending power in most game worlds, especially not in high powered ones like the Forgotten Realms. I don't know, I guess your standards are different.
are you 14?

mediocrepoet

Patron
are you 14?
12, but thanks for the compliment.
Are you saying that you think epic level wizards commonly fight fighters with daggers? Is that the hill you want to die on?

Codex Year of the Donut
are you 14?
Are you saying that you think epic level wizards commonly fight fighters with daggers? Is that the hill you want to die on?
I'm saying it's an in-game cutscene that was made with the best they had at the time.
If you can't understand this... sorry you're stupid?

mediocrepoet

Patron
are you 14?
I'm saying it's an in-game cutscene that was made with the best they had at the time.
If you can't understand this... sorry you're stupid?
The best they had. That's such a cope. You're saying they didn't have the manpower to implement continuing to fire magic missiles, or fire arrows, or fireballs, or anything... they showed a frail old man fighting for his life with a dagger... because of technical limitations. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom