Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Bizarre to me how some people revised 2E rules to think that a 9th or 10th level wizard isn't powerful and can't wrap their minds around powerful epic.
Gorion is old friends with Elminster. Does Elminster often pal around with 10th level wizards? (This is a genuine lore question, I dunno much about Elminster.)

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bizarre to me how some people revised 2E rules to think that a 9th or 10th level wizard isn't powerful and can't wrap their minds around powerful epic.
Gorion is old friends with Elminster. Does Elminster often pal around with 10th level wizards? (This is a genuine lore question, I dunno much about Elminster.)
Possibly. I mean, he has time to bug a level 1 dipshit running around the woods on the Sword Coast. :P

(Yeah, I know.)

It's true, Elminster trucks with a lot of ultra high level characters and deities, but is also involved with the Harpers some of whom are lower level. That's about as far as I recall, beyond that, you'd have to ask someone who was more into FR lore and/or wants to look it up. Beyond that, NecroLord is completely right above.

Gargaune

Arcane
Bizarre to me how some people insist Gorion actually isn't a powerful wizard because of one cutscene made for 1998 home computers.
I still don't get how any of you can earnestly argue that, within the context of the setting, a powerful wizard getting ambushed and murdered by a gang of powerful brigands - which is all the PC knows at the time - is anywhere in the same league as extradimensional Cthulhu UFOs fighting dragon-riding aliens from the Prime to Avernus before striking devil pacts in the fucking Underdark five minutes later.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Bizarre to me how some people insist Gorion actually isn't a powerful wizard because of one cutscene made for 1998 home computers.
I still don't get how any of you can earnestly argue that, within the context of the setting, a powerful wizard getting ambushed and murdered by a gang of powerful brigands - which is all the PC knows at the time - is anywhere in the same league as extradimensional Cthulhu UFOs fighting dragon-riding aliens from the Prime to Avernus before striking devil pacts in the fucking Underdark five minutes later.
Do you even remember the Nashkel mines? Those kobolds had fire arrows! They rained death from afar! I still have PTSD about that trap-filled hell, party being cut into charred pieces!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Codex if BG were released today: "LOL being chosen one child of a God of course modern games are so high fantasy trash"
Uh... pretty sure if we go back into the archives, you'll see that sort of discussion here from back in the day about BG1&2. You probably took part in some of them.

Perception check: failed

Yes, that's my entire point. All three games are high high fantasy. They're set in the realms for christ sakes

mediocrepoet

Patron
Codex if BG were released today: "LOL being chosen one child of a God of course modern games are so high fantasy trash"
Uh... pretty sure if we go back into the archives, you'll see that sort of discussion here from back in the day about BG1&2. You probably took part in some of them.

Yes, that's my entire point. All three games are high high fantasy. They're set in the realms for christ sakes
Well... ok. Is it that my perception check failed, or your bluff (jokes) check failed? ;)

Yes, it's true, FR has always been a retarded kitchen sink setting with everything from the pretty quiet villages on the Sword Coast to like floating cities, crazy elven ruins, the Underdark, and everything in between.

But there's a pretty significant difference in the way it was handled in the first two games vs. the third. I actually do buy Infinitron's explanation that they basically continued the power curve in the vein of a trilogy, and I'm somewhat curious to see if that is warranted from the complete narrative of the game. But I also think it's disingenuous to dismiss how jarring BG3's presentation is right out of the gate.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I would buy this if there was an option to turn off "story," avoid all premade companions, all dialogue, and essentially just turns the game into a pure combat sim.

Same goes for the Pathfinder games too.

In fact, I'll be adding this feature in my next game. Why don't AA/AAA studios do the same?

Imagine being proud of the writing in any of these games.

:bioware: vibes.

mediocrepoet

Patron

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

FR has always been a retarded kitchen sink setting

The only thing really worthwhile in D&D lore is batshit insane kitsch. FR has the most of that with the most well-developed background.

FR 2nd ed. setting boxes is the best setting material released for D&D along with stuff like Planescape.

Fat chance Larian would ever utilize the former, so them going ham on the planar stuff is the best we could hope for. Can't believe you people are clamoring for another bsb vanilla fantasy land over that.

These people don't have the capability to write interesting lowkey shit, but pulpy insano weirdo D&D planar stuff? They may just pull that off. Certainly the ridiculousness of that nautilus intro suggests it.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You guys talk about the Nashkel mines.
But what about Durlag's Tower?
Traps. Traps everywhere. Not to mention the other horrors.

mediocrepoet

Patron

FR has always been a retarded kitchen sink setting

The only thing really worthwhile in D&D lore is batshit insane kitsch. FR has the most of that with the most well-developed background.

FR 2nd ed. setting boxes is the best setting material released for D&D along with stuff like Planescape.

Fat chance Larian would ever utilize the former, so them going ham on the planar stuff is the best we could hope for. Can't believe you people are clamoring for another bsb vanilla fantasy land over that.

These people don't have the capability to write interesting lowkey shit, but pulpy insano weirdo D&D planar stuff? They may just pull that off. Certainly the ridiculousness of that nautilus intro suggests it.
I actually totally agree with you (well, outside of the optimism about writing/story) - I think it'll be fun and worthwhile. Whether or not it satisfactorily ties back to BG1&2 is something I'm curious about, but it's relatively irrelevant to me. Outside of that, I just want to see if there's something in the quality of the final game + sales reception that helps push bigger budget RPGs so the genre fully runs the gamut from small indie whatevers to big budget presentations along with all the graphical bells and whistles (and probably cinematic focus, because, really...).

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
No.
Not chosen one, because there are hundreds of Bhaalspawns. And the whole thing is revealed much later in the game.
BG3 equivalent of it would be something like this: In the prologue Bhaal himself takes you to lower planes and says "CHARNAME, I am your father." Luckily, you escape your dad's tutorial dungeon on illithid nautilus.
And since you are playing an origin character, you also have a netherese nuclear device in your ass. It's gonna blow!

Gargaune

Arcane
This isn't the argument. Yes, it's all high fantasy trash, but BG1 builds up to the high end of said high fantasy whereas BG3 throws you right into it in the opening cinematic. And no, BG2 isn't a counterargument, since it's carrying on with the same protagonist that you've already presumably spent 40 or more hours with, the narrative context is there.

I actually do buy @Infinitron's explanation that they basically continued the power curve in the vein of a trilogy, and I'm somewhat curious to see if that is warranted from the complete narrative of the game.
I don't think that's the reason for it, I think it's just a more general trend of inflation in modern fiction. Larian went this route because they believe that's what the zoomer audience wants right out the gate lest they lose interest and scroll away on their TokTiks or whatever. And they may be right in that respect, I can get why they'd go for it, but that doesn't absolve the end result from being poor writing.

Same goes for the Pathfinder games too.
Actually, PFKM is how you do it right, at least in this respect. It's not that the writing in general is strong, the core conflict is quite rote when you come down to it, but the way the plot progresses from sellsword hireling to mythical king, from the contextually mundane to the supernatural, is excellent.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
*I* didn't. That's just Rusty being his usual contrarian self.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
helps push bigger budget RPGs so the genre fully runs the gamut from small indie whatevers to big budget presentations along with all the graphical bells and whistles (and probably cinematic focus, because, really...).

I have a theory that bigger budget/AAA RPGs are dead and will remain dead since the sales to effort ratio simply isn't there. Ultra big budget games (Rockstar games) tend to trend mainstream for that broad audience, and that's directly opposed to the c&c heavy, granular RPGs that this forum actually likes (or allegedly likes).

The closest thing to ultra budget RPGs -> multiplayer hack and slash JRPGs with atrocious mobile-style monetization and anime waifus.

65757657657657657.jpg

mediocrepoet

Patron
netherese nuclear device in your ass

the more of such insanity, the better. only hope of saving modern fantasy tales from utter boredom
Here you go, bud. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall

mediocrepoet said:
I actually totally agree with you

You seem to be malfunctioning
No, you're just all over the map. I agree with you that BG3 will probably be fun. I disagree with you that standard fantasy needs saving, cannot be done, and the only viable future is full of the Michael Bay ADHD simulators that you seem to crave. Try some meds, then go re-play BG1.
:happytrollboy:

mediocrepoet

Patron
helps push bigger budget RPGs so the genre fully runs the gamut from small indie whatevers to big budget presentations along with all the graphical bells and whistles (and probably cinematic focus, because, really...).

I have a theory that bigger budget/AAA RPGs are dead and will remain dead since the sales to effort ratio simply isn't there. Ultra big budget games (Rockstar games) tend to trend mainstream for that broad audience, and that's directly opposed to the c&c heavy, granular RPGs that this forum actually likes (or allegedly likes).

The closest thing to ultra budget RPGs -> multiplayer hack and slash JRPGs with atrocious mobile-style monetization and anime waifus.

I tend to agree with you and I suspect it will always be that way. But it's why I find efforts to break out of it (e.g. BG3, DA:O, Mass Effect trilogy) to be interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom