Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Pizzashoes

Scholar
AwesomeButton does appear to intuitively know Larian's writing is in fact shit with contrasting examples from Icewind Dale. Let's see what Myth The Fallen Lords has to offer:

Okay, that does seem pretty awesome. I liked the carrion and ash.

Seethe

Arbiter
Of courae at the time there was not this need to make everything political so people just laughted at it.

You are a furry though. Of course you defend this. You looks forward to it. All one must do is visit the FFXIV thread to see.

All furries are zoophiliacs.

One things people aren't mentioning, out of convenience, is the graphics of today vs years ago. Yeah sure, some pixelated garbage humped a dude and a dog in japan. Thats not the same as this grotesque display. There would have been outrage back then too if this travesty was possible. Hide behind "it's 2023 everything is political". No, it's not. It's 2023 and zoophiliacs want a Z added to the LGBTQ++. And Larian is spearheading the way and their fans are rejoicing on most every gaming website, on reddit, on twitter, on resetera, and right here on the codex.
I personally defend the bear scene because I don't want to give infant minded retards like you the authority of dictating me (or others) what I should see or not. To me this is far more offensive than most things in the world, an indicative that the person would also praise authoritative figures into power. You're kind of like insulting my intelligence if you get what I mean. You're trying to coddle other people like they're children while from my point of view, you are of below average intelligence. I see no reason as to why you or anyone else should be the arbiter of censorship.

More importantly, the moral pearl clutching is ridiculous. Are you a vegan, or why do you care so much that a guy who turns into a bear is getting fucked in a fictional setting? What do you think about mounting a bear's head on a wall as a trophy? Let's see some of that moral consistency.

Zeriel

Arcane
AwesomeButton does appear to intuitively know Larian's writing is in fact shit with contrasting examples from Icewind Dale. Let's see what Myth The Fallen Lords has to offer:

Okay, that does seem pretty awesome. I liked the carrion and ash.

I like the dialogue in the outro song. Never was a big Myth fan but it does have a nice forlorn quality to it even at a distance.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Larian fags are coping so poorly with the fact BG3's writing is fucking shit they want everyone to cite examples from other games so they can nitpick and cherry pick comparisons that make BG3 look better while diverting the conversation away from the problems with BG3. Because to them, Larian is the golden goose and can do no wrong. Undignified, pitiful fools.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Fuck, why not respec race? Why not respec gender mid-campaign?

About the same time the orcs were discovered to always have been the negroes of D&D, the elves gained the ability to change their gender once per day.
As if anyone needed any more proof that elves are fags.

BruceVC

Magister
people just wanna roll a party and smash some skellies, it's not fucking rocket science!
That's not the kind of game you are getting. You will experience this stellar writing. Whether you want to or not.
Name one (1) good example of writing in gaming and one (1) quintessentially Larian example of writing if you would.
I want to win this prize, thats easy to answer

What about Oblivion and the mub crab conversation, thats quality for sure

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm replaying the bg-series in prep for 3, and one thing that's funny about doing that while reading this thread on the side is how lulzily memeish the majority of bg1's writing is. it changes a lot in 2, but a lot of 1's actual writing besides the main plot is everything from fastest dart thrower in the west to siding with druids on the promise of aloe vera balm rewards

BruceVC

Magister
Of courae at the time there was not this need to make everything political so people just laughted at it.

You are a furry though. Of course you defend this. You looks forward to it. All one must do is visit the FFXIV thread to see.

One things people aren't mentioning, out of convenience, is the graphics of today vs years ago. Yeah sure, some pixelated garbage humped a dude and a dog in japan. Thats not the same as this grotesque display. There would have been outrage back then too if this travesty was possible. Hide behind "it's 2023 everything is political". No, it's not. It's 2023 and zoophiliacs want a Z added to the LGBTQ++. And Larian is spearheading the way and their fans are rejoicing on most every gaming website, on reddit, on twitter, on resetera, and right here on the codex.
I personally defend the bear scene because I don't want to give infant minded retards like you the authority of dictating me (or others) what I should see or not. To me this is far more offensive than most things in the world, an indicative that the person would also praise authoritative figures into power. You're kind of like insulting my intelligence if you get what I mean. You're trying to coddle other people like they're children while from my point of view, you are of below average intelligence. I see no reason as to why you or anyone else should be the arbiter of censorship.

More importantly, the moral pearl clutching is ridiculous. Are you a vegan, or why do you care so much that a guy who turns into a bear is getting fucked in a fictional setting? What do you think about mounting a bear's head on a wall as a trophy? Let's see some of that moral consistency.
Just ignore it, its just rhetoric and culture wars grandstanding and its not going to influence or change the millions of fans from buying the game

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm replaying the bg-series in prep for 3, and one thing that's funny about doing that while reading this thread on the side is how lulzily memeish the majority of bg1's writing is. it changes a lot in 2, but a lot of 1's actual writing besides the main plot is everything from fastest dart thrower in the west to siding with druids on the promise of aloe vera balm rewards
In 20 years there's gonna be some new brand of retard telling all the haters now that BG III is the peak RPG experience.

Imagine the despair then.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
In 20 years there's gonna be some new brand of retard telling all the haters now that BG III is the peak RPG experience.

there are expections. durlag's tower is a masterpiece of aesthetic design and somber story-telling

but i imagine bg3 might have such exceptions as well

Gradenmayer

Learned
Do keep in mind that Baldur’s Gate 2 wasn’t considered a real Baldur’s Gate sequel by fanboys when it came out.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Unrestricted dip multiclassing sucks.
Sawyer was right, it's time to APOLOGIZE.
He was fixing the symptoms, not the cause, which is class front loading.

Either balance the classes better in terms of power progression, or create negative class levels for multiclassing to cushion the power spike a dip usually provides.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Do keep in mind that Baldur’s Gate 2 wasn’t considered a real Baldur’s Gate sequel by fanboys when it came out.

who are these fanboys

me and everyone i knew who playing ad&d at the time had bg1 as their favourite game and absolutely loved #2

the same was true about just about every online bg community at the time

though i was a retard kid back then, i used to like tob more than bg2

BruceVC

Magister

https://gameworldobserver.com/2023/07/12/baldurs-gate-3-new-standard-for-rpg-genre-opinions

BG3 is going to set a new overall standard for RPG and other developers are already saying we cant expect all games to be of the same quality,. And Im not talking about the inconsequential bear sex scene, Im talking about BG3 in its entirety

Gradenmayer

Learned
Unrestricted dip multiclassing sucks.
Sawyer was right, it's time to APOLOGIZE.
6fIAhPS.png
Multiclassing in 5e sucks too, so it balances out.

Seethe

Arbiter

Just ignore it, its just rhetoric and culture wars grandstanding and its not going to influence or change the millions of fans from buying the game
Oh I know, I am merely anticipating the low IQ puritans and soccer moms seething upon this game's release and inevitable success, more than I anticipate the game's release.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
BG1 treats a lot of its own material as a joke for teenagers. Let us dive into its intro:

"N-no, you can't."
"I will be the last. And you will go first."
"There are others. I can show you. Please. Please!"

The game is a murder saga with light-hearted jokes. But based on the intro, they absolutely could have punched those lines up. I can punch the intro up right now. I would ask why BG1 is so revered, but there's already a couple threads to answer the question. Something about popularity, timing, enough originality, sequel momentum, etc.

So, why would such goofy writing be favorably compared to modern day Larian's goofy writing? I don't think it has been favorably compared in the pages I've read. No one is quoting BG1. BG2 has some lines ("You will suffer..." "Your pathetic magics are useless...") , and no one is quoting that game either. They're certainly not referencing the depth of storytelling. But the overall experience of the game is enough to say this is fantasy; play it and have a hell of a good time.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Oh I know, I am merely anticipating the low IQ puritans and soccer moms seething upon this game's release and inevitable success, more than I anticipate the game's release.
And this is how you know someone is a faggot.

He probably prances around in the LGBT+ pride parade, not because he's actually proud of being gay. He's just doing it for theatre so he can offend normal people, so he can feel justified being a homo.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
The mental illness homosexuality and all of its sub-illnesses (cuck,pedo,troon) have no place in this world and serve as a net negative to humanity as a whole.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
the elves gained the ability to change their gender once per day.
Oh god please tell me you are joking
You can’t change race and gender.
I don't believe in transgenderism or racism, generally speaking. But, WotC does. Why wouldn't the Player Character be able to change race and gender? I don't pretend to understand their arguments, but this seems like the kind of thing they'd be all for.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
also regarding culture wars it's lulzy that Keldorn's personal quest (I finished SoD yesterday and so just began playing BG2) is ostensibly about a stern and absent, manly father figure who is awoken to the truth of love and female emotional needs by being cuckolded into obedience. he literally turns the blame of his wife's infidelity inwards upon speaking to her lover. i suppose you can aim for other quest outcomes but these are clearly designated as "bad outcomes" by the writers

i wonder how that sort of writing would have been perceived by the resident cw avant garde had it been penned by larian

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom