Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Look, I get it. I fucking hate this type of multiclassing, too. The whole concept of "dipping" a level or two into another class purely for powergain is disgusting. Just place the fucking blame where it belongs and that's with the designers of DnD Wizards of the Coast, not with Larian.
I don't usually write "I fixed it for you", but I fixed it for you. Please don't confuse anything created by Wizards of the Coast with actual Dungeons & Dragons. :M

Zeriel

Arcane
Party of five minmaxed CE sorcadins. Full murderhobo squad.

Kill everyone at the earliest opportunity.

There can't be bad dialogue if there isn't any dialogue.

View attachment 38638

Sure but why are you buying and playing a dialogue-heavy cutscene-based game when you are just skipping all of that? Might as well not buy the game and go play an actual murder-simulator instead.

I thought this was a degenerate sex game and I wanted to check out the competition.

But more seriously, I'm pretty certain I'll roll my eyes non-stop in the first hour and uninstall it before the second.

Still, it doesn't hurt to spend some money to see what other devs are doing, even if its cringe normie shit.

You can just torrent it.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
Btw this should still work on release:

And the poor souls that are relegated to play this on Geforce Now where you can only have one instance running? What are they supposed to do? I don't think I can stomach the 'witty banter' between party members in this game nor do I want to be settling their petty disputes in camp. I don't want to be turning down the clumsy seduction attempts of characters that were written by fat women who have never experienced a genuine romantic moment in their life. I can tell a better story in my own head with blank slate characters I create on my own. No custom party creation is no different than forcing the player to play with theatre kid redditors. In other words, a deal-breaker.

Yeah, the moment when I saw the gay bear sex scene I knew right then and there what the rest of the writing and humor was going to be like. It was going to be filled to the brim with "millennial writing" that has been a plague on entertainment these past 10 years. Meme humor, quirky quips and witty banter that has been popularized because of Marvel capeshit. I didn't even get into the woke and ESG shit that is going to stick out like a sore thumb like it does in all WotC products but that is a story for another time. The only solace I get is knowing that capeshit is in its death throes. Maybe in the next 5-10 years we'll get a game where the writing doesn't feel like the writers binged watched all the Marvel movies in order to seek inspiration.

Last edited:

Pizzashoes

Scholar
What does multiclassing a druid and a warlock and a bard and a paladin even mean? At least some of Kingmaker's classes are mutually exclusive. But these Larian devs don't want classes. Classes are supposed to be tied into the lore and roleplaying of your character.

How the fuck do you square away the classless goofiness the Larian devs love in D:OS with forty years of rigid Dungeons and Dragons classes? Apparently, you go through the motions of a couple years of rigid class system in early access just to keep up appearances, and then one month before release, you say, "FUCK IT. WE'RE DOING IT LIVE. NO CLASSES. WE NEVER GAVE A FUCK ANYWAY. DND IS FOR NERDS."

What the fuck are you talking about? This is how multiclassing works in 5E. It's not Larian, it's DnD. Dropping the somewhat inconsequential attribute prerequisite of 13 doesn't really matter, since it never was much of a hurdle to begin with, it just took some planning during character creation. Removing it makes multiclassing more noob-friendly because it removes the front-loaded attribute planning, that's it.

Fundamentally, the problem is DnD multiclassing, and not "Larian devs don't want classes". And this isn't even new, multiclassing has been retarded in DnD since 3E. So this over-the-top multiclassing shit has been with us for almost 25 years now. There is no "forty years of rigid Dungeons and Dragons classes". IIRC most powerbuilds in NWN2 consisted of retarded 4-class cocktails and that was like 17 years ago.

Look, I get it. I fucking hate this type of multiclassing, too. The whole concept of "dipping" a level or two into another class purely for powergain is disgusting. Just place the fucking blame where it belongs and that's with the designers of DnD, not with Larian.
I'll tell you by God. One, I'm upset. I want to blame someone for moving away from the strict class system of AD&D used by Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 to the anything goes Baldur's Gate 3. Swen Vincke's quote here had me thinking he, himself, values classless, all around characters. Having played D:OS2 on the more difficult setting, the devs force you to pick and choose optimal abilities to game the encounters without any adherence to roleplaying a class or standard. The game encourages you to cast off the initial class and move on. That's why I was thinking Larian pushed it. Whether that's true or whether the nature of 5E pushed it, who knows.

Two, D&D has had multiclassing, but with restrictions. You're right that D&D clearly has been trending toward dipping a toe in everything and losing restrictions, and that a game in the modern climate would naturally have zero restrictions on anything. Fuck, why not respec race? Why not respec gender mid-campaign? Yes, I was very emotional writing D&D is for nerds, but really I meant older versions of D&D cater towards nerds, and newer versions cater towards a broader audience. And yeah, the multiclass game is lame. It's built towards maximizing numbers instead of grounded in human experience.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
You can just torrent it.

I have some stupid idea of camaraderie and kinship among RPG devs, so I won't pirate a game even from a studio I don't like.

Surely approaching a digital hobby/product of mass consuption with the expectation of artistic or even literary quality is an expectation doomed to disapointment. It's a videogame after all, gameplay is the measure here. Besides, we're long past the era of inspired pionneers like Avellone & company.

The target audience is weird, virgin autist teens & young adults, we should expect even more bearfuckery from now on. Have a good day.

The medium could stand to do with some improvement. Keeping your expectations low ensures disappointment.

On a more philosophical note, I can't fucking understand why people work in games without at least aspiring for artistic creativity. Why else would somebody work in a low-paying, immature, and thoroughly debased industry?

People in gamedev for money are a fucking joke and should just get a real corporate job instead.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet

With D&D mechanic or not, Larian always try made another Ultima 7.

Hi.

Ultima 7 had cloud shadows. Does BG3 have them considering there is no night cycle? Hide in Shadows is going to be very difficult for characters who can hide without a night cycle and those darker corners and alleyways. It is one of the more enjoyable environmental design aspects of RPGs quite a shame they left it out.

Thanks,
Sherry
I don't know BG3, I haven't played the EA, but DOS1 and DOS2 have dynamic weather, that also affects combat.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Unrestricted dip multiclassing sucks.
Sawyer was right, it's time to APOLOGIZE.
6fIAhPS.png

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Unrestricted dip multiclassing sucks.
Sawyer was right, it's time to APOLOGIZE.
6fIAhPS.png
Well, I was saying barely few pages ago, if there's a thing that Deadfire did very well is precisely its multiclassing system.
Deadfire does a ton of things very well. Unfortunately, the companion writing and the main narrative are both ranging from mediocre to garbage and they are very central to the experience.

But then again, I expect Larian to be a good deal worse in both respects.

Takamori

Learned
I bet if Sawyer was taking care of 5e implementation we wouldn't have not even half of the bullshit we are having right now. Why he was cucked to stay in Obsidian with that turd Fergus

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
The target audience is weird, virgin autististic teens & young adults, we should expect even more bearfuckery from now on. Have a good day.
One must remember that WotC target audience is Twitter trannies, fur fags and fujoshi's who write creepy fan fiction on A03. WotC royally pissed them off with the OGL and Pinkerton fiasco. They needed some way to win them back. Shouldn't be a surprise that to win back Twitter trannies, fur fags and female coomer fan fic writers was just to put degenerate sex in the game. Speaking of which there is a multi-post illustrated essay on how to fuck a child just happily siting there on the Balder's Gate forum. Nice fanbase you got there Larian and WOtC.

Last edited:

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
What even goes through Sawyers head he makes the blandest systems that suck and then gets mentally gaped when games sell well.

Hopefully he learns that fun power fantasy sells and boring 3% increase simulator sucks.

There are some super strong and cool ltems in BG3 that should be comparable to the stuff in BG2.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
What about this one.

If you caught Panel From Hell last week, you'll have seen just how those decisions affect your experience once you set foot into Act 2. Trek through the mountain pass as Shadowheart then explore the Sharran territory of the Shadow-Cursed Lands safely as a cleric of Shar. Or you might instead choose to traverse the Underdark, then find safety within a hamlet of Harpers – led by the long-standing series icon herself: Jaheira, #mommy.

:prosper:

Goddamn the rape of IPs is really never going to stop is it. It gets worse with every year.
Swen said there are hundreds, or even thousands of stories. If you don't like a particular story, you can just avoid it. Nobody is making you fuck the bear.

My problem is I find every story they write godawful. So yeah, there are 1,000 flavors of ice cream, and every flavor is some variety of fecal matter. Great for all the tumblrinas that enjoy their Marvel writing, but if you don't like how they write everything, it doesn't matter which path you choose.
Implying you even know what good writing is.

Continue to seethe

afbeelding.png

Drakortha

Liturgist
That's not the kind of game you are getting. You will experience this stellar writing. Whether you want to or not.
Don't forget the amazing voice acting.

I saw the voice actors behind the scenes video. They are so talented and passionate about their work. They will elevate BG3 to a whole other level. BG3 is a passion project through and through. The people working on the game are just incredible human beings.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom