Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
the elves gained the ability to change their gender once per day.
Oh god please tell me you are joking
You can’t change race and gender.
Yet. Give WotC time. I'm sure it will happen. Such as a quest where you have to help a white human male NPC who is so full of white guilt finally become the beautiful, bi-poc, transgender elf he always knew he was deep down. You may think I'm being hyperbolic but WotC is that brain rotted on woke ideology and ESG.

Gradenmayer

Learned
I don't believe in transgenderism or racism, generally speaking. But, WotC does. Why wouldn't the Player Character be able to change race and gender? I don't pretend to understand their arguments, but this seems like the kind of thing they'd be all for.
Too much work. There are a lot of event flags in the game that are tied to your race and gender, so changing it would create tons of bugs and issues, which are not worth sweating over.

Class change is allowed because they can just reuse multiclass code with some adjustments.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm sorry to tell you but this has been going on since BG1
CKPtnARVa_eRUfAT9YvXV8GUg9_nwBD6cnP5MeMID_g.png

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

volklore

Arcane
Are pure arcane casters fun in this ? Like DC focused/battlefield control type stuff. I do not know 5E much... Is metamagic restricted to sorcerers ?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Are pure arcane casters fun in this ? Like DC focused/battlefield control type stuff. I do not know 5E much... Is metamagic restricted to sorcerers ?

Depends on what you think is fun. DC-casting is less all-or-nothing; most spells will still have a lesser effect on a succesful save, but are also less crippling on a failure.

That's 5E in general, I dunno about BG3 specifically since I haven't played it. But I imagine they're aiming to keep the intentionality of the rules on that front.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I treat Keldorn like the cuck bitch he is. Giving your girl the love she deserves isn't difficult. If it's difficult, leave her. Anyway, ten years ago, I willfully interpreted "spent wick" as his wife's lover had Erectile Dysfunction and never actually had penetrative sex with the wife, but now, with a decade more of life in me, I wouldn't bother taking him as a companion. He's disgusting.
Too much work. There are a lot of event flags in the game that are tied to your race and gender, so changing it would create tons of bugs and issues, which are not worth sweating over.

Class change is allowed because they can just reuse multiclass code with some adjustments.
That sounds like a good thing. There has to be something anchoring the player to some baseline, foundational choice in his character creation. No matter how new-age you get, there has to be some thing tying you to something important.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
He's actually a pretty great companion. Something I didn't recall about BG2 even though I played it to death is that the better companions rarely play directly into the stereotypes they are portraying (which is one of the reasons BG3's companions look so boring - they don't seem like they've got much beyond the surface level). When Yoshimo challenges Keldorn on his capacity for humor, most Paladin-writers would probably play into Yoshi's expectations and make the banter about that. Instead, Keldorn recalls drawing smut into the learning books of his order and sings the first verse of a smutty, erotic ballad, with Yoshi finishing the second verse when Keldorn can't recall it. The two end up having a BRO moment(tm).

I generally don't enjoy many BG2 companions, but there are exceptions. Edwin and Keldorn being two.

Kiste

Augur
We are reaching levels of butthurt that shouldn't be possible.

At this point this is just autistic screeching by this retard Drakortha. It doesn't matter which aspect of the game we're talking about, he will always pull something out of his putrid ass to prove that the game is shit. And it's not even GOOD autistic screeching. It's boring. Just claming something is shit isn't inherently interesting unless you can argue the point, which he can't. He just goes on obscenity-laden diatribes and that's it. It's like a form of Tourette Syndrom, if the subject was also mentally challenged at the same time.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Nerevar In the event you are unaware, Baldur's Gate 2's Paladin companion, Keldorn, has the side quest where you figure out his wife has been engaged in a sexual affair with a noble while Keldorn has been busy executing the duties of the Knights of the Radiant Heart. You, the Party Leader, due to your status and influence have the unenviable duty of persuading Keldorn to either stick with his family or stick by his honor. This Choice and Consequence is infamous and well-loved by the community.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes dickhead. We all know but I'm not about to throw Keldorn to the wolves because his whore of a wife can't keep her legs closed. Who else is gonna use the Carsomyr? Also that quest was shit there was only one Lawful good outcome where you report the cuckery to the Paladins and they kill everyone. Anything else and Keldorn should lose his powers.

Disrespecting the man because bioware decided to take a shit on his life is just despicable.

BruceVC

Magister
Of courae at the time there was not this need to make everything political so people just laughted at it.

You are a furry though. Of course you defend this. You looks forward to it. All one must do is visit the FFXIV thread to see.

All furries are zoophiliacs.

One things people aren't mentioning, out of convenience, is the graphics of today vs years ago. Yeah sure, some pixelated garbage humped a dude and a dog in japan. Thats not the same as this grotesque display. There would have been outrage back then too if this travesty was possible. Hide behind "it's 2023 everything is political". No, it's not. It's 2023 and zoophiliacs want a Z added to the LGBTQ++. And Larian is spearheading the way and their fans are rejoicing on most every gaming website, on reddit, on twitter, on resetera, and right here on the codex.
I personally defend the bear scene because I don't want to give infant minded retards like you the authority of dictating me (or others) what I should see or not. To me this is far more offensive than most things in the world, an indicative that the person would also praise authoritative figures into power. You're kind of like insulting my intelligence if you get what I mean. You're trying to coddle other people like they're children while from my point of view, you are of below average intelligence. I see no reason as to why you or anyone else should be the arbiter of censorship.

More importantly, the moral pearl clutching is ridiculous. Are you a vegan, or why do you care so much that a guy who turns into a bear is getting fucked in a fictional setting? What do you think about mounting a bear's head on a wall as a trophy? Let's see some of that moral consistency.
Just ignore it, its just rhetoric and culture wars grandstanding and its not going to influence or change the millions of fans from buying the game
Oh I know, I am merely anticipating the low IQ puritans and soccer moms seething upon this game's release and inevitable success, more than I anticipate the game's release.
Yes I predict its going to be a huge financial success. Because thats the determining factor of all outage, does it influence sales?

And you definitely cant use gaming forums like Codex as that type of benchmark. Hogwarts is another example I mentioned earlier. There was lots of drama and culture wars criticism about it but it made over $1 billion in revenue. All Im really concerned about is BG3 going to be a good experience when I play it and Im honestly about 98% sure it will be.

Drakortha

Liturgist

At this point this is just autistic screeching by this retard Drakortha. It doesn't matter which aspect of the game we're talking about, he will always pull something out of his putrid ass to prove that the game is shit. And it's not even GOOD autistic screeching. It's boring. Just claming something is shit isn't inherently interesting unless you can argue the point, which he can't. He just goes on obscenity-laden diatribes and that's it. It's like a form of Tourette Syndrom, if the subject was also mentally challenged at the same time.
I've been stating all the reasons why BG3 is shit ever since the very first gameplay reveal like 2 years ago you dumbshit. You probably need someone to explain it to you like a 3 year old with shapes and basic pictures, but even then you will still reject it because you have the comprehension ability of a rock.

Anyone else can take one look at the game and decide for themselves the game is TRASH without needing be told. You are just too fucking retarded, which is why you are a faggot for Larian and BG3. This game was made for you.

Saravan

Savant

I've been stating all the reasons why BG3 is shit ever since the very first gameplay reveal like 2 years ago you dumbshit. You probably need someone to explain it to you like a 3 year old with shapes and basic pictures, but even then you will still reject it because you have the comprehension ability of a rock.

Anyone else can take one look at the game and decide for themselves the game is TRASH without needing be told. You are just too fucking retarded, which is why you are a faggot for Larian and BG3. This game was made for you.
You unironically said FA3 -> FA4 introduced more innovation than DoS:2 -> BG3. At that point nothing you say can be taken seriously.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
He's actually a pretty great companion. Something I didn't recall about BG2 even though I played it to death is that the better companions rarely play directly into the stereotypes they are portraying (which is one of the reasons BG3's companions look so boring - they don't seem like they've got much beyond the surface level). When Yoshimo challenges Keldorn on his capacity for humor, most Paladin-writers would probably play into Yoshi's expectations and make the banter about that. Instead, Keldorn recalls drawing smut into the learning books of his order and sings the first verse of a smutty, erotic ballad, with Yoshi finishing the second verse when Keldorn can't recall it. The two end up having a BRO moment(tm).

I generally don't enjoy many BG2 companions, but there are exceptions. Edwin and Keldorn being two.
They feed into the illusion the writers and the engine have something greater in store. Which of course, Larian could use in spades. Larian needs that. Larian needs players to keep imagining instead of relying on $$$ 3D models and voice actors alone.

Anyway, Keldorn is unfortunately or not, the mature target of all the characters' emotional angst. That is, he is the father or the grandfather character for the party. Anomen's arrogance is tempered in his experience. Aerie's light is strengthened in his confidence. Viconia's bitchiness is sharpened in his contrast. Jan gets humbled by Keldorn not caring about his insults. Keldorn is a true paladin. His epilogue is facing his death defending his comrades on a mountain pass. But the fact that he was cucked, I hate that. He could have fucked his wife and loved his family in between defending the Order. The Order wouldn't be so cruel to require a great man to neglect his wife. Why would they? To a paladin, their image before the community is everything.

Kiste

Augur

Yeah, yeah, yeah. You have been screeching like a demented retard that the game has no day/night-cycle. Who gives a shit. You claimed that they reused art assets and were proven wrong. Other than that, it's always the same shtick: this is shit and that is shit, along with the, frankly, embarrassing chest thumping that you have been hating the game since the first gameplay reveal. You're a true hero to the people.

At this point, you're just flogging your metaphorical micro penis and I doubt I am the only one who is utterly bored of you. Come back when you have something interesting so say.

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yet. Give WotC time. I'm sure it will happen. Such as a quest where you have to help a white human male NPC who is so full of white guilt finally become the beautiful, bi-poc, transgender elf he always knew he was deep down. You may think I'm being hyperbolic but WotC is that brain rotted on woke ideology and ESG.
I wish it was a joke. But here's the link.
https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/dungeons-and-dragons-genderfluid-elves/

The article comes with a dozen minutes long interview vid, but the main excerpt:
One of the big themes in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes is the concept that elves were once a mutable race. Their creator Corellon Larethian was an androgynous being and elves could originally change their forms at will, although they eventually lost this ability when they descended into the Material Plane.

However, according to Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, some elves retain a blessing of Corellon. As part of this blessing, these elves can actually choose their biological sex whenever they finish a long rest. These elves can choose to be male, female, or "neither" based on their moods or feelings.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I wish it was a joke. But here's the link.
https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/dungeons-and-dragons-genderfluid-elves/

The article comes with a dozen minutes long interview vid, but the main excerpt:
One of the big themes in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes is the concept that elves were once a mutable race. Their creator Corellon Larethian was an androgynous being and elves could originally change their forms at will, although they eventually lost this ability when they descended into the Material Plane.

However, according to Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, some elves retain a blessing of Corellon. As part of this blessing, these elves can actually choose their biological sex whenever they finish a long rest. These elves can choose to be male, female, or "neither" based on their moods or feelings.
elves are degenerates. LE SHOCK!

Kiste

Augur
Name one (1) good example of writing in gaming and one (1) quintessentially Larian example of writing if you would.
IWD chapter intros. Myth TFL. Larian? Writing? Lol.
It's interesting that your examples for great writing are games that barely have any. I'd argue BG3 writing should be evaluated against games that are similar in scope and I don't think BG3 fares too badly in that regard.

Sure it's hit and miss and, like with all comparable games, it's all a bit soap-opera-style cringe but it's not all bad. The companions all have at least interesting stuff going on, some more so than others. The Tiefling/Druid conflict in Act I nicely complements the main story line and gives you reasons for actually doing stuff outside of following the main story.

Romance dialogue is not so great but it rarely is. All romance stuff in games is terrible compressed and ends up being kind of goofy for that reason alone. I don't see it as inherently worse in BG3 compared to, say, Bioware stuff.

Larian writing was never for me, I was barely able to tolerate it in DOS1 und DOS2. What I've seen in BG3 so far has been much better, though, at least for me.

Shrimp

Liturgist
Looks like not even the most stalwart zealots on the core target audience's website can defend the all-but-confirmed lack of an option to let the entire party handle interactions and skill checks in dialogue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...we_just_assume_we_could_switch_dialogue_host/

This is probably another reason why Larian frequently controlled one character at a time whenever they wanted to show off dialogue based skill checks during their presentations.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Looks like not even the most stalwart zealots on the core target audience's website can defend the all-but-confirmed lack of an option to let the entire party handle interactions and skill checks in dialogue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...we_just_assume_we_could_switch_dialogue_host/

This is probably another reason why Larian frequently controlled one character at a time whenever they wanted to show off dialogue based skill checks during their presentations.
I prefer it that way, but it can really be annoying for some. Nevermind, they are bitching about companions not handling dialogue skills checks, fuck that shit- it kills the entire point of having to pick out skills for a main character.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom